2013 Santos Tour Down Under Stage 5: McLaren Vale -> Old Wilunga Hill, 151.5km - Page 8 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-25-13, 21:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
Well, Machado is going to attack at some point and make his bid for the overall, hopefully he times it right. If his attack doesn't work though than it will be up to Hermans and Bennett. Based on the current GC Bennett would probably work for Hermans since Hermans is 8 seconds back and Bennet 15 back.
Please, the RS guys always end up 5th, 7th and 10th. No way they're winning this, although Machado might go berserk on Willunga.
He has to win a race at some point in his career.
Old 01-25-13, 21:06
Banned

The big-hitters at the track fancy Slagter,all the smart money is on him.Others with chances,there's half a dozen could win this but he's the form horse.
Old 01-25-13, 21:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telmisartan new View Post
The big-hitters at the track fancy Slagter,all the smart money is on him.Others with chances,there's half a dozen could win this but he's the form horse.
Thomas is clearly the best climber in the race and he has the best form, so why bet against him? I predict Slagter to fall out of the top 5, as he's somewhat overrated on the longer climbs. The guys putting money on him are betting purely on gut feelings, they're probably gonna end up disappointed.
Old 01-25-13, 21:22
Banned

Talking about betting...

I have 50€ in Machado for GC ^^
Old 01-25-13, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeoSheva View Post
I need the answer to this question too
They are scheduled to hit WH the first time at 1426 Adelaide time, the last loop takes about 30 minutes.

Heading out for the start soon, hoping to be at the top for the finish

To the person that wanted to compare WH with Corkscrew - it's not as steep, but longer, and the hardest bit is lower down, whereas corkscrew is harder at the top. No real hairpins on WH.

Can't predict the winner, think there will be a lot wanting to force a selection the first time up.
Old 01-25-13, 21:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by iZnoGouD View Post
Talking about betting...

I have 50 in Machado for GC ^^
Money well spent.
Old 01-25-13, 21:31

Send a message via MSN to Dekker_Tifosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentacycle View Post
Thomas is clearly the best climber in the race and he has the best form, so why bet against him? I predict Slagter to fall out of the top 5, as he's somewhat overrated on the longer climbs. The guys putting money on him are betting purely on gut feelings, they're probably gonna end up disappointed.
1. QUINTANA ROJAS Nairo Alexander CEP 5h44'31" 8
2. TALANSKY Andrew - 39" 4
3. LANDA MEANA Mikel ORB 39" 2
4. ATAPUMA HURTADO John Darwin CEP 41" 0
5. SLAGTER Tom Jelte RB3 43" 0

this was a longer climb (and way longer than 3km willunga hill)

Hell, remember Asisi, Giro last year? That was 3+km as well, the stage where Slagter made all the moves up until the final 200m (where rodriguez made his obviously).
I'm not saying Slagter will win or anything, because I expect Thomas as well. But to say Slagter can't handle anything longer than 1km is utter bs...
Old 01-25-13, 21:33
Banned

I have always felt Thomas is somewhat overrated.People wax lyrical about him constantly,i've yet to be convinced.
Old 01-25-13, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekker_Tifosi View Post
1. QUINTANA ROJAS Nairo Alexander CEP 5h44'31" 8
2. TALANSKY Andrew - 39" 4
3. LANDA MEANA Mikel ORB 39" 2
4. ATAPUMA HURTADO John Darwin CEP 41" 0
5. SLAGTER Tom Jelte RB3 43" 0

this was a longer climb (and way longer than 3km willunga hill)

Hell, remember Asisi, Giro last year? That was 3+km as well, the stage where Slagter made all the moves up until the final 200m (where rodriguez made his obviously).
I'm not saying Slagter will win or anything, because I expect Thomas as well. But to say Slagter can't handle anything longer than 1km is utter bs...
In GT's he's never done well on the longer climbs except when he was doing domestique work, so I don't expect Slagter to suddenly drop everyone or not get dropped himself.
Edit: Assisi was 1200m, no way that was more than 3 kms.

The time gaps in GC are very small, so if he loses 20+ seconds tomorrow he could be out of the top 5. I think he'll have to limit his losses to stay on the podium, instead of trying to attack Thomas like us Dutch guys hope for.

Last edited by Pentacycle; 01-25-13 at 21:45.
Old 01-25-13, 21:45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardus View Post
Money well spent.