Analysis on the 2013 GTs mountains by PRC - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-30-13, 10:08
Administrator

Default Analysis on the 2013 GTs mountains by PRC

Like every year, PRC blog published the comparison between the three GTs of 2013. Interesting stuff as always.
http://plataformarecorridosciclistas...y-vuelta-2013/
It's in spanish, but many tables don't require an extensive knowledge of the language to be interpreted

Particularly funny the fact that the Giro is the GT with more HC and 1st cat climbs ever, despite being called a weak edition by the press and by a few riders.

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
Old 01-30-13, 10:31

Oh look, the impossibly hard Vuelta has three "HC" climbs.
Old 01-30-13, 10:36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
Oh look, the impossibly hard Vuelta has three "HC" climbs.

tbh this year there have been less people than usual calling that "hard".

Old 01-30-13, 19:00

Interesting stuff, shame i cannot read properly at work as our IT filters blog sites, but will check out later. Funnily enough, only last night while checking out the TDF route to see which stages I'll go and watch, it occured to me that, in fact, this years tour does not look particulary hard.

Not many climbs on Pyrenean roads and nothing in the massif central to speak of. So, despite the inclusion of Ventoux and 2 x Alpe D'Huez, there's actually not much to be frightened of for someone like Wiggins, nothing over 2000m so no rarified climbing (again), no wonder he's hedging his bets.

No doubt twice up the alpe will be a pain for some, but, when you consider Cadel won in a year when the went over the Agnel, Izoard & Galibier twice I think 2013 doesn't favour the Schlecks etc (sorry Schleck unless Franks ban is timed to finish before the start- if it is funny that eh) .

I can see a fit Cadel fancying his chances and I reckon someone like Voeckler might even be in the mix, at least well placed again. From this point of view it could be a very good tour, plenty of riders will be in with a shout I reckon. I expect to see Froome and Wiggins very close on GC and Wiggins to win the TT's or be best placed GC contender in them, which will force Froome on the offensive (hopefully if Brailsford doesn't stop play). I don't think Contador will take any chances performing track stands with Froome.
Old 01-30-13, 20:45

Thanks, very interesting at first site it seems the Giro is still the toughest GT this year...
Old 01-30-13, 20:48
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman View Post
Thanks, very interesting at first site it seems the Giro is still the toughest GT this year...
by a long shot... the Tour isn't even trying and the Vuelta is... a Vuelta. So no chance the Giro will cease to be the hardest

Old 01-30-13, 21:05

The problem with Giro is not the climbs (As stated in the link, there are plenty of hard climbs) but the length of the mountain stages (except the Tre Croci-Tre Cime) I like short mountain stages but I think this Giro has way too many of them
Old 01-30-13, 21:09

meh. More meaningless Giro propaganda. Tour has 2 x alpe d huez. 2 times up alpe. Don't you get it? Thats like doing Liege and PR on the same day.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.

Last edited by The Hitch; 01-30-13 at 21:12.
Old 01-30-13, 21:12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by burning View Post
The problem with Giro is not the climbs (As stated in the link, there are plenty of hard climbs) but the length of the mountain stages (except the Tre Croci-Tre Cime) I like short mountain stages but I think this Giro has way too many of them
definitely. Plus, the design of all but the final mountain stages is far from good. This year Giro delivers with its medium mountain and with the ITT. As for high mountains, only Lavaredo is good (great actually).

Old 01-30-13, 21:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
meh. More meaningless Giro propaganda. Tour has 2 x alpe d huez. 2 times up alpe. Don't you get it? Thats like doing Liege and PR on the same day.
They should make a stage with 3x alpe, that would make the hardest race ever