Analysis on the 2013 GTs mountains by PRC - Page 5 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-31-13, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
It's also the only stage starting literally on a big climb since umm... Can only recall Luchon 2010 but try to forget it.
I think each of the three Grand Tours are just one or two steps away from being very good this year.

In the Giro, all they really need to do was make 2 of the puchy mountain stages a bit longer. Like maybe 60-80km longer with at least one more climb in each. And possibly have a decisive last stage....such as a time trial in Milan and lose one of the earlier chronos

In the Tour, they should have had more medium mountain stages. Two of the Corsican stages should have been harder than they are. And the jaunt from the Pyrennees to the Ventoux has too many boring stages. Even one more medium mountain stage or ramp finish would make it more interesting. And finally, the ITT in Le Mont St Michel needs to be 20km longer.

In the Vuelta, there are (as always) too many ramp finishes. Lose two of these, and make one of the stages pan-flat, and one stage either a medium mountain stage or a descent finish after a ramp in the last 10km. And make the stage into Casteldefells have a trickeier finish and be a lot longer. They could easily descend from Port del Rat Penat into the finish.

But all three tours have lots and lots of good stages.
Old 01-31-13, 19:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18-Valve. (pithy) View Post
The could have done Sommeiller (3000m) instead of Jafferau. It's right around the corner from that climb.

Except they would have to pave it first, I suppose.
Why?

10 characters
Old 01-31-13, 20:01
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmaher View Post
In the Giro, all they really need to do was make 2 of the puchy mountain stages a bit longer. Like maybe 60-80km longer with at least one more climb in each. And possibly have a decisive last stage....such as a time trial in Milan and lose one of the earlier chronos
agreed to all but the bolded. the earlier ITTs are perfect, and I'm not a great fan of the final ITT in Milan. But they should have put a meaningful final stage, yes. And Brescia has plenty of opportunities for that. Really disappointing.

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
Old 01-31-13, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmaher View Post
I think each of the three Grand Tours are just one or two steps away from being very good this year.

In the Tour, they should have had more medium mountain stages. Two of the Corsican stages should have been harder than they are. And the jaunt from the Pyrennees to the Ventoux has too many boring stages. Even one more medium mountain stage or ramp finish would make it more interesting. And finally, the ITT in Le Mont St Michel needs to be 20km longer.

In the Vuelta, there are (as always) too many ramp finishes. Lose two of these, and make one of the stages pan-flat, and one stage either a medium mountain stage or a descent finish after a ramp in the last 10km. And make the stage into Casteldefells have a trickeier finish and be a lot longer. They could easily descend from Port del Rat Penat into the finish.

But all three tours have lots and lots of good stages.
Hmm I'm not so sure about that.
Old 01-31-13, 20:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshnar View Post
agreed to all but the bolded. the earlier ITTs are perfect, and I'm not a great fan of the final ITT in Milan. But they should have put a meaningful final stage, yes. And Brescia has plenty of opportunities for that. Really disappointing.
Ascent

Descent + Finish

WIN
Old 02-01-13, 02:57

Repeat x6

=Win
Old 02-01-13, 04:30

I think what the giro lacks is a supergiro mountain. from what I recall stelvio is the hardest they got and it's 60k from the finish. even if it was 1 of the new ones like crostis or the one pozzovivo won on in trentino.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 02-01-13, 08:14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
from what I recall stelvio is the hardest they got and it's 60k from the finish.
It's Galibier

Old 02-01-13, 10:09

What i miss most in all the 3 GT's are mountain stages with several consecutive mounitains without any long flat sections in the last part of the stage. There should have been at least 1-2 more of these type of stages in all the GTs.

In the Giro the should have used Solda as a stage finish on the Stelvio stage and added at least a couple of mountains before Gavia.

They should also have replaced the Galibier stage with at 200 km all day mountain stage in Italy. Why go to France when you have so many good mountains in Italy?

In the Tour, they should have had a 200 km stage to Pla d'Adet like in 2005, and 1-2 more medium mountain stages with hilly finishes.
Old 02-01-13, 10:20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlavEH View Post
In the Giro the should have used Solda as a stage finish on the Stelvio stage and added at least a couple of mountains before Gavia.

They should also have replaced the Galibier stage with at 200 km all day mountain stage in Italy. Why go to France when you have so many good mountains in Italy?

It's pretty pointless to complain about stage finishes. They're fixed by deals done. It's the routes chosen that are disappointing.