Will Cancellara ride the 2013 Tour de France? - Page 2 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: ?
yes 57 55.88%
no 45 44.12%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-13, 13:47
Administrator

No, like he said, he's won everything he can at the Tour. Plus I don't think Radioshack will be pressuring him to do the Tour to help Andy. After last year they need some good results, as does Cance. And both of them know that Cance has a better chance of getting those results by doing Giro-Vuelta, rather than the Tour.

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
Old 02-01-13, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post

After last year they need some good results, as does Cance. And both of them know that Cance has a better chance of getting those results by doing Giro-Vuelta, rather than the Tour.
Both of them? Cancellara is free to leave after this season and probably will.
Old 02-01-13, 14:01

It just wouldn't seem right for him to skip the Tour entirely. Don't blame him if he does however if he has other goals in mind. He's earned that right.
Old 02-01-13, 14:08
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18-Valve. (pithy) View Post
Both of them? Cancellara is free to leave after this season and probably will.
Right, had forgotten about that. In fact it's likely the team won't be around in 2014. Still though, I don't think they will put too much pressure on him to do the Tour, especially not if Andy doesn't show some signs of his old level returning before the Giro. And some good results would still help get their title sponsors name out there.

Old 02-01-13, 15:00

where would he leave off to though?? doesnt he have a good relationship with guercilena?? its not like bruyneel is in charge anymore
Old 02-01-13, 15:56
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruppeto993 View Post
where would he leave off to though?? doesnt he have a good relationship with guercilena?? its not like bruyneel is in charge anymore
Was rumored he was going back to Saxo, but couldn't get out of his contract. Cance and Guercilena have a good relationship I believe, they worked together when he turned pro with Mapei and at the Olympics this year.

Here's a video of him talking about Guercilena and the team.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vide...n-up-the-house

Old 02-01-13, 16:15

No. He's fed up of towing the Schlecks around France and will make the right decision this time.
Old 02-01-13, 16:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by the asian View Post
No. He's fed up of towing the Schlecks around France and will make the right decision this time.
More or less he said: "I'm going to think on my goals.

He is not gonna waste a peak for the brothers anymore.
Old 02-01-13, 20:50

the worlds are very hilly this year. So he has to drop a lot of weight and try to be in Mendrisio form or he has nothing better to do after the cobbles than the Tour...

Besides, how many TT in the Tour did Cancellara won? Not so much. He rides for an American team, so their tacticks are as much Tour-focussed as the former Rabobank.
Old 02-01-13, 21:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs View Post
the worlds are very hilly this year. So he has to drop a lot of weight and try to be in Mendrisio form or he has nothing better to do after the cobbles than the Tour...

Besides, how many TT in the Tour did Cancellara won? Not so much. He rides for an American team, so their tacticks are as much Tour-focussed as the former Rabobank.
True. I don't know what else is there for him to target after the cobbled classics apart from the tour. Perhaps he wants to win another world TT? I mean the races during the second part of the season are either stage races or hilly classics like lombardia. I doubt these are his targets.
by riding the tour, he has nothing to lose.