Will Nibali ever win the Tour? - Page 10 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Will Nibali ever win the Tour?
Yes 20 16.67%
No 100 83.33%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-13, 10:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabet View Post
Much as I love Voeckler, I don't think he's that good, airstream. I also don't think he would have climbed anywhere near as well in 2011 if he didn't have to defend the maillot jaune. Also the Pyrenees were raced really defensively that year.
Agreed. I love to watch Voeckler, but he's not a great climber. To be fair, not many riders are.
Old 02-07-13, 10:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swabian Lass View Post
No, I don't think that Nibali will win the tour. Podium, maybe, but win? No.
He was 3rd last year, where were you?
Old 02-07-13, 10:50

In France, watching actually, where were you?

Contador wasn't there last year. Put Contador into the mix and everyone moves down a step.
Old 02-07-13, 11:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swabian Lass View Post
In France, watching actually, where were you?

Contador wasn't there last year. Put Contador into the mix and everyone moves down a step.
Contador (2012 Vuelta) would have bumped one of the 2 Sky riders out of the podium for sure, if not both. Nibali, at worse, would have kept his place. That's is to say, math doesn't work like that in cycling, or life.

Last edited by cineteq; 02-07-13 at 11:06.
Old 02-07-13, 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
Vockler is a great climber actually. He showed that in 2004 yet. He is just a bright example of how widely gifted one can be, one should focus on the things which match him better. Voeckler of 2011 is a sensation, but not a miracle. Sometimes I feel like if Voecker works on ergonomics of his climbing technique, he will be one of the best climbers.
Voeckler is a puncheur, not a climber. Much like Di Luca is. It was purely the motivation of the yellow jersey that turned him into a climber (or something else did).

The way he climbs is not healthy, it was a miracle he kept it up for so long.
Old 02-07-13, 11:46
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Voeckler is a puncheur, not a climber. Much like Di Luca is. It was purely the motivation of the yellow jersey that turned him into a climber (or something else did).

The way he climbs is not healthy, it was a miracle he kept it up for so long.
It depends on formulations solely. Let some pure climbers ride uphill as Voeckler does it. They can only dream about it. I disagree. Motivation can't present one wings if one doesn't have an engine. No one can explain all the things with such a thing like motivation.
Old 02-07-13, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
It depends on formulations solely. Let some pure climbers ride uphill as Voeckler does it. They can only dream about it. I disagree. Motivation can't present one wings if one doesn't have an engine. No one can explain all the things with such a thing like motivation.
Yet throughout the history of cycling we have tons of examples of people wearing a leaders jersey suddenly being able to perform far above their normal level. And if anyone can keep going more than he should with the right motivation, then it is Voeckler. You might not believe in it yourself, but you have to admit there are tons of examples of riders doing something they would never be able to normally, just because they had the right motivation.
Old 02-07-13, 11:59
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchsmurf View Post
Yet throughout the history of cycling we have tons of examples of people wearing a leaders jersey suddenly being able to perform far above their normal level. And if anyone can keep going more than he should with the right motivation, then it is Voeckler. You might not believe in it yourself, but you have to admit there are tons of examples of riders doing something they would never be able to normally, just because they had the right motivation.
I'm not saying about insignificance of motivation. But one thing is when a climber like Arroyo loses 2-3 minutes on any big stage because of motivation and another thing is defending a jersey like Voeckler did. IMO he had to podium in that Tour, but lack of experience play against him fatally on Alpe-d'Huez stage. I don't think you would find such examples in last 10-20 years. It was heroic, extraordinary and naturally implied not average climbing skills.

Last edited by airstream; 02-07-13 at 12:03.
Old 02-07-13, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenedge View Post
Evans, Andy, even riders like Zubeldia will be better climbers. Voeckler would also be a better climber.
You can't be serious???????
Old 02-07-13, 12:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angliru View Post
You can't be serious???????
He's no doubt better than TJVG, those mountain raids last year were more impressive than the Sky train imo.