Will Nibali ever win the Tour? - Page 7 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Will Nibali ever win the Tour?
Yes 20 16.67%
No 100 83.33%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-13, 13:07
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netserk View Post
He can do well on hard mtfs, as long as there isn't many back-to-back mountain stages.
He can not keep up with the best of the best climbers when a real battle starts. I'm not saying it is impossible. That is just something we haven't seen thus far.
Old 02-04-13, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone View Post
He can do well on a hard mountain stage indeed. Is it a follow AC, Froome, and Andy well, or a beat VDB2 well? i a not so sure
I would say he did more than just 'beating-VDB2-well' on Zonc in '11
Take Bradley Wiggins for example, and his claim that he thought Lance Armstrong was clean up until the reasoned decision. I do have a little sympathy for him. While he's not particularly bright or articulate, if you read between his curse words it's clear that he has insecurities resulting from the fact that despite all the measures he took to win the Tour he wasn't even the strongest rider.
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up
Old 02-04-13, 13:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Mercier View Post
Gesink did 5th but never was one of the three bests riders in his terrain. And TVG yes. We saw it in Besanšon, the best gt rider in the TT only after Wiggins and Froome.
Tejay lost 3 minutes on La Planche des Belles Filles. He finished 46th! A bad day like that is usually unforgivable, however he had the luck of 100 k of time trialing and no particularly good time trialists other than Wiggo and Froomey.

Gesink actually was one of the three best climbers on Tourmalet. He pulled for almost the entire climb, unfortunately he got swamped in the final k.
Old 02-04-13, 13:17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
That's true, nibali is neither but that doesn't mean van garderen is better.

He couldn't even follow the sky train, his climbing abilities are still a question. It depends on how good he'll become at it the next years.
He is young and he made enourmous step forward in comparison to how he had climbed before. And yet unlike Nibali his racer pedigree is obviously for the Tour.

Even? Ah, sorry, I always forget that the train is not a level for you.
Old 02-04-13, 13:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
He is young and he made enourmous step forward in comparison to how he had climbed before. And yet unlike Nibali his racer pedigree is obviously for the Tour.

Even? Ah, sorry, I always forget that the train is not a level for you.
Kreuziger also had great progression a few years ago, suddenly it can stop.

We'll see if he confirm/improve it.
Old 02-04-13, 14:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Tejay lost 3 minutes on La Planche des Belles Filles. He finished 46th! A bad day like that is usually unforgivable, however he had the luck of 100 k of time trialing and no particularly good time trialists other than Wiggo and Froomey.

Gesink actually was one of the three best climbers on Tourmalet. He pulled for almost the entire climb, unfortunately he got swamped in the final k.
PLEASE. So where were the other good time triallists? Who are? Contador and?

Second question: Tell me who were the three bests GC guys on the TTs of the last Tour de France. Wiggins, Froome and...

Now tell me who were the three, four and five bests climbers of the 2010 Tour de France. I'll give u the answer: Contador, Andy, Samuel, Menchov and Van Den Broeck.
Not Gesink in the Top5 of his speciality. On the other hand Van Garderen was the third best GT guy in the TT of the last TDF. I dont have more questions

Last edited by Jason_Mercier; 02-04-13 at 14:14.
Old 02-04-13, 14:20

Quote:
That's true, nibali is neither but that doesn't mean van garderen is better.

He couldn't even follow the sky train.
And what happened in La Toussuire, Bagneres de Luchon and Peyragudes stages?
Old 02-04-13, 14:38

Why people underrate TJ? In La Toussouire stage he could have stayed in the favourites group but he worked for Evans. In Bagneres de Luchon stage he stayed in the favourites group with Van Den Broeck or Valverde only after Wiggins, Nibali and Froome. In the Peyragudes stage he stayed with Wiggins, Froome or Nibali until the last km of the final ascent... Why people cant see that? Seems that they only remember the Belles Filles day. We are not talking about a a time triallist who cant climb nothing. The guy has very good climbing skills.
Old 02-04-13, 14:47

Quote:
Kreuziger also had great progression a few years ago, suddenly it can stop.

We'll see if he confirm/improve it.
no he didn;t ever since turning pro his level was stuck. as a junior he was pretty much as good as he is now.
Old 02-04-13, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Mercier View Post
PLEASE. So where were the other good time triallists? Who are? Contador and?

Second question: Tell me who were the three bests GC guys on the TTs of the last Tour de France. Wiggins, Froome and...

Now tell me who were the three, four and five bests climbers of the 2010 Tour de France. I'll give u the answer: Contador, Andy, Samuel, Menchov and Van Den Broeck.
Not Gesink in the Top5 of his speciality. On the other hand Van Garderen was the third best GT guy in the TT of the last TDF. I dont have more questions
This is simply not true, as Gesink actually took time on VDB uphill, while working for Menchov... VDB was better on the cobbles.

Van Garderen did seem to get stronger where others faltered, I'll give you that. But I'd be surprised if he makes the top-5 in the Tour again this year, too much climbing. Whereas Nibali easily could (if he didn't ride the Giro).