Will Nibali ever win the Tour? - Page 8 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Will Nibali ever win the Tour?
Yes 20 16.67%
No 100 83.33%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-13, 17:12

Send a message via MSN to Dekker_Tifosi

im still sure Gesink has a better shot than Nibali. But even for Gesink it's normally impossible to beat Contador, Froome or andy
Old 02-04-13, 17:30

I don't think it'll ever happen, but under special circumstances he might have a shot.

Special circumstances = OP 2.0
Old 02-04-13, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
This is simply not true, as Gesink actually took time on VDB uphill, while working for Menchov... VDB was better on the cobbles.

Van Garderen did seem to get stronger where others faltered, I'll give you that. But I'd be surprised if he makes the top-5 in the Tour again this year, too much climbing. Whereas Nibali easily could (if he didn't ride the Giro).
Of course Nibali easily could. Today Nibali is better rider than Van Garderen but the american has more potential IMO. I think Tejay can do a Top5 but i dont see him in the podium. I have no doubts that he will be one of the best eight climbers of the race. I only see Contador, Froome, Van Den Broeck, Pinot, Rolland, Valverde and Purito ahead him in the mountain. And with the 60 kms of ITT this is enough to get a Top5.
Old 02-04-13, 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Mercier View Post
Of course Nibali easily could. Today Nibali is better rider than Van Garderen but the american has more potential IMO.
If he fixes his brain, yes.
Old 02-05-13, 13:33

From what we have seen so far, Nibali cannot win the Tour nor can Gesink and VDB simply because there is three or four riders ahead of them maybe more if Valverde and Rodriguez can repeat their Vuelta form which is no sure thing. Froome, Wiggins and Contador are superior at the moment then you also have Evans and Ryder plus some of the younger riders who are behind Nibali but not by much. I think Nibali attacks often at the wrong time. If he improves his tactics and his climbing he will have a much better chance. At the same I would say that Nibali, Ryder and Rodriguez showed the most improvement amongst the GC riders last year with TJVG as the most improved younger rider.
Old 02-05-13, 14:13

NIbali can win the Tour, but he needs a bit more than average luck.
Old 02-05-13, 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
NIbali can win the Tour, but he needs a bit more than average luck.
If that's his only shot at winning the Tour, then it's probably the same for 10 or more other riders, who can win the Tour with a lot of luck.

It makes more sense to estimate the chance of a 'lucky' rider to win the Tour. 9/10 times the strongest, or at least one of the clear favourites, wins.
Old 02-05-13, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentacycle View Post
If that's his only shot at winning the Tour, then it's probably the same for 10 or more other riders, who can win the Tour with a lot of luck.

It makes more sense to estimate the chance of a 'lucky' rider to win the Tour. 9/10 times the strongest, or at least one of the clear favourites, wins.
yep, which is why this particular poll will be very predictable.
Old 02-07-13, 00:50

no chance unless he improves drastically . his mountain attacks are short and sporadic looking at last years TDF . sky had no problem whatsoever reeling him back in .
Old 02-07-13, 02:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades1 View Post
no chance unless he improves drastically . his mountain attacks are short and sporadic looking at last years TDF . sky had no problem whatsoever reeling him back in .
Sky had no problem whatsoever reeling anybody back in, to be fair.