Is Froome The only rider who can take down Contador in the tour? - Page 3 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Is Froome The only rider who can take down Contador in the tour?
Yes. 42 27.45%
No (specify which rider). 71 46.41%
Contador can't be taken down in the tour. 28 18.30%
Contador is lucky that Wiggins will ride the giro (lol option) 12 7.84%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-13, 02:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Its not even about the tts. They are a big reason of course but there's also the fact that the tour de France is less 1k at 15% and more 20k at 6%. Long drags.
Well it is about the ITT when last GT they faced off against one another, they were evens in the mountains. Purito has improved far too much in his last two GTs to expect Contador to just drop him by default. Purely on recent performances you'd have to put Purito down as the superior climber to Andy, who couldn't distance Evans in 2011.
Old 02-06-13, 02:08

I voted No but only because I believe the only one that can beat Contador is Condator

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Travis you're my Hero!

Alberto Contador of Pinto: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 02-06-13, 02:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
Well it is about the ITT when last GT they faced off against one another, they were evens in the mountains. Purito has improved far too much in his last two GTs to expect Contador to just drop him by default. Purely on recent performances you'd have to put Purito down as the superior climber to Andy, who couldn't distance Evans in 2011.
Correct Andy's horrendous Time trialing cost him the 2011 tour (He had a 57 second lead on Cadel going into the final time and finished 1'34 behind) and Purito lost the Giro at the final TT.
Old 02-06-13, 02:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post

If contador shows up in his 2012 vuelta form.he won't win the tour.

But he doesn't need to ride away from putiro by default anyway. He needs to drop him once and once he does purito has nowhere to get the time back.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 02-06-13, 03:36

Andy can beat him as long as he gets back to his top shape. I don't see how J-rod can beat Contador considering how many MTF's were in the Vuelta last year and he still lost, plus there was only 1 TT in the Vuelta last year. Can't see anyone else competing with those 3 in top shape.
Old 02-06-13, 03:54

to answer the OP:

YES

Froome to me is the only rider with the skills & the team to take the task against Contador & truly cause him trouble-and I'm saying BOTH IN SHAPE.
ASchleck ain't no threat to Froome -let alone AC in top form. Purito & Valverde aren't of Tour winner breed-they belong to the Giro & Vuelta.
Old 02-06-13, 07:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicifan View Post
Purito will never forgive what Alberto did to him in Fuente Dé.
You're right, god forbid someone tries to win the race.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
Old 02-06-13, 07:49

I voted; he can't be taken down
Old 02-06-13, 07:52
Banned

Not less than 6-7 guys. New season. New start. One gets stronger, others get weaker. Who and how is unknown. So if one doesn't build up an artificial barrier between Contador and the rest as some like to do, there a lot of riders...

In short... Wiggins, not a lol option.
Old 02-06-13, 08:08

the answer is yes, only froomey
i think andy could do it too but only if alberto will have a bad day and andy will be again at his absolute best.

but of course i can't discount for overall kash, cobo, westra and tommy voeckler.