2013 Paris Nice - Page 3 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 02-07-13, 16:30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by serfla View Post
Did I say MTF of Tirreno isn't nice?
we were comparing the routes so I assumed that you liked the PN mtf more than the TA.
Quote:
I said the final itt is better in P-N for expected T-A field.
ok
Quote:
Other stages pretty much equal. Some opportunities for sprinters and breakers. Although all stages aren't published yet, stage 4 promises nice mix of non-GC stages. Stage 6 should provoke an epic breakaway or daring jump.
All in all, I like it more than T-A.
first of all, the non-published stages we could assume are less interesting than stage 6, that is by far the worst stage published. Forget any kind of 'daring jumps' in that stage. The climb is 70 kms from the finish and the stage is squeezed between a MTF and an MTT.

otoh, TA has only one clear stage for sprints and another one where sprinters will sweat badly but may take it. It then has an ardennes-like stage which is miles better than stage 4 of PN and the stage to Chieti which is infinitely better than the one to Nice.

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
Old 02-07-13, 16:55

What a crap course. Westra FTW.
Old 02-07-13, 16:56
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshnar View Post
first of all, the non-published stages we could assume are less interesting than stage 6, that is by far the worst stage published. Forget any kind of 'daring jumps' in that stage. The climb is 70 kms from the finish and the stage is squeezed between a MTF and an MTT.
You don't think someone, far in the GC not interested for the itt, could try his luck in last 20 - 30 kilometers, after the intermediate sprint? Or that a group of riders could survive exactly because the stage follows uphill finish and precedes itt, so the favorites will probably take it easier?
Tailor made for Hoogerland, if he's going to ride.
Old 02-07-13, 16:58

Quote:
You don't think someone, far in the GC not interested for the itt, could try his luck in last 20 - 30 kilometers, after the intermediate sprint? Or that a group of riders could survive exactly because the stage follows uphill finish and precedes itt, so the favorites will probably take it easier?
No way will Johnny be fit to ride unfortunately.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
Old 02-07-13, 17:11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by will10 View Post
No way will Johnny be fit to ride unfortunately.
Yes, I've forgotten about the incident.
Let's hope there will be some brave opportunists
Old 02-07-13, 17:48
Administrator

Quote:
That stage will go to the breakaway I'm sure. No one will chase them.

Old 02-07-13, 19:11
Banned

I've just taken a closer look at the areas where non-published stages are passing through.
Stage 1 typical sprinters'.
2 - sprinters' course, but possible spiced finish since it ends at the very foot of Massif Central... Something like short ascent or a sequence of them before the finish.
3 - Massif Central
4, 5, 6 - published.

Not bad at all.
Something for every type of rider.
Old 02-07-13, 19:15
Administrator

Quote:
3 - Massif Central
with a very suspicious loop in the end...

Old 02-07-13, 19:28

stage two has one of those suspicious loops as well, hopefully it will include a climb, like suspicious loops at the foot of the central massif ought to, so that the finale will be intresting.

If stage 2 has a punchy finale, and stage 3 is a massif-centrale stage with the possibility to be selective for the GC, then this parcour will actually be awesome. If stage 2 and 3 are boring stages where nothing will happen, I'd be disappointed with this parcour.
Old 02-07-13, 19:30

The Nice stage is awful in so many ways that I almost can't believe it. If we're going to persist with that, at least give us the nice Nice loop stage we had in 2008-9-10. It's like the ASO is going out of its way to make its stage races suck. The best stage is the first hillyish one with a small climb 9km from the finish. Hopefully we get some echelon action or something in the first half of the race. But seriously, that penultimate stage. It's like they saw how much I criticised the Biot stage in 2011 (and what a waste of a weekend stage it was) and decided to prove me wrong by proving that, actually, they can make a more underwhelming stage.

Forever tte de la course.