Who's the sprint King..? - Page 3 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who's sprint king come July
Mark Cavendish 135 88.24%
Andre Greipel 9 5.88%
Peter Sagan 6 3.92%
Other 3 1.96%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-13, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Boonen View Post
Yawn. 10 char...
Old 02-08-13, 14:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalco View Post
I'm a big Cavendish fan, but I have to admit, Greipel did look stronger in last year's Tour overall to me, but he had a lot of factors in his favour.
He did indeed. I think will be a close battle this year, but as already said Cavs the greater overall. I was just curious to see if there were anymore sprinters that people thought could really challenge. It does seem like a 3 horse race to me though.
Old 02-08-13, 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
This year Cav will have a dedicated leadout team focused completely on him winning sprints in the Tour, so more often than not I think we'll see him beating Greipel.
T-A will be the 1st clash this year. Take a wild guess who's gonna have the excuses?
Old 02-08-13, 14:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalco View Post
I'm a big Cavendish fan, but I have to admit, Greipel did look stronger in last year's Tour overall to me, but he had a lot of factors in his favour.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTHLWKzWUb0
Old 02-08-13, 14:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post

Nowadays the little gizmo from Britain, unbeatable little mtf. Doesn't need a train.

But I like Greipel and will chear if he beats the Cav in any sprint.

vetooo ‏@ammattipyoraily
#Tour 1990, Luz Ardiden (13.30 km, 7.44 %, 989 m). Greg LeMond: 39 min 46 sec, 20.07 Kph, VAM 1492 m/h, ~5.40-5.50 W/kg.
Old 02-08-13, 14:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo Sunrise View Post
Yeah, that's once. Greipel also beat him in a stage in 2011. Plus, I'm sure Cav was still in the Greipel group in a stage Greipel won in 2012...

In 2011 Cav had a far superior lead-out so he won the most stages, in 2012 Greipel had a superior lead-out so he won 3 stages(should've been 4 without the dislocated shoulder). We'll see in 2013.

Of course I'm not taking into account results before 2011 because all the best sprinters were part of HTC before that year.

Don't understand me wrong though, Cav will still beat Greipel more than vice versa, but the playing field will be more equal now.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 02-08-13, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Cav will still beat Greipel more than vice versa, but the playing field will be more equal now.
Completely agree.
Old 02-08-13, 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zam_Olyas View Post
Which pope?

Cavendish by the way.
John Paul III was fast, probably motorized though.

Cavendish seemed more at home in the chaotic sprints than in the armchair ride by Terpstra yesterday so Cav for sure. Griepel without Hendo and his Lotto chums is usually lost.
Old 02-08-13, 16:49

Quote:
Don't understand me wrong though, Cav will still beat Greipel more than vice versa, but the playing field will be more equal now.
A fair summary. I look forward to each chance we get to see them go head to head
Old 02-08-13, 16:53

Quote:
Yeah, that's once. Greipel also beat him in a stage in 2011. Plus, I'm sure Cav was still in the Greipel group in a stage Greipel won in 2012...

In 2011 Cav had a far superior lead-out so he won the most stages, in 2012 Greipel had a superior lead-out so he won 3 stages(should've been 4 without the dislocated shoulder). We'll see in 2013.

Of course I'm not taking into account results before 2011 because all the best sprinters were part of HTC before that year.

The stage you're referring to Cav was sprinting from 35m behind so the comparison really isn't that straight.

Andre is benefiting from a train massively giving him a consistent results as he does have a good kick, but can't position himself. But i've yet to see anything to suggest Andre beating Cav should be treated as anything other than an occasional exception unless there is a very large differential in starting position. 2011 is the only straight up example I can recall.