Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 02-11-13, 19:21

How do folk think Phinney will get on tomorrow? I'm quite liking his odds of 41 (I've had an each way bet on him). He's looked in good shape so far this season and got a few top 10s in sprint stages (6th today). Is the climb the same one that was used for the outward half of the TT a couple of years ago? I think he might get over that ok.
Old 02-11-13, 19:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Wiggins/ Froome are the unifiers here. Schlecks havent done nothing since Cadel and Contador fans still hated eachother. Especially for Evans fans. i know some cadel fans for whom Froome winning PDBF was the Rubicon. They thought that that was going to be Cadel's Tour, with Contador and Schleck missing.

Of course had Cadel won that Tour and had 2 tours like Contador, Evans and Contador fans would be at eachothers throats big time over who is the greatest. -
Of course I can only speak for myself, but Evans' performance in the 2010 Giro was what won me over, although I certainly was rooting for him to emerge victorious over the Schlecks at the 2011 Tour. The rise of the Sky juggernaut has admittedly given me incentive to root for anyone but them with their scientific approach to racing that lulls me to sleep and their plans of dominating the sport. Admittedly I have no problem with Froome and I hope he rebels against the management at the Tour by riding completely for himself, leaving Wiggins languishing in mountains with the 2nd tier gc riders.
Old 02-11-13, 19:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbelly View Post
How do folk think Phinney will get on tomorrow? I'm quite liking his odds of 41 (I've had an each way bet on him). He's looked in good shape so far this season and got a few top 10s in sprint stages (6th today). Is the climb the same one that was used for the outward half of the TT a couple of years ago? I think he might get over that ok.
He's looking very lean. Could surprise a few people if there's a reduced sprint tomorrow.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
Old 02-11-13, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by will10 View Post
He's looking very lean. Could surprise a few people if there's a reduced sprint tomorrow.
he said he's 85 kg, so how lean is that?
Old 02-11-13, 20:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
Depends on how much body fat he has. He could be incredibly lean at 85 kg.

"I have no intention of being a conformist in this race. Not in the slightest" Alberto Contador

"We should all have more cake. Who doesn’t like cake?" Oleg Tinkov
Old 02-11-13, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publicus View Post
yea but i don't see him gettin up there tomorrow, fat or no fat he still gotta carry it over that steep climb.

I don't think he'll do it, besides doesn't he have to ride for Evans/gilbert tomorrow?
Old 02-11-13, 21:12

Quote:
ah ok, don't like to bet against bookies, low odds usually. that
s why I prefer betfair
yes bookies have ibgger margins meaning less chances of good value, but if something should be 1/2 and is 4/6 with bookies its a bet.

Brabantse Pijl 2014 Cycling Preview
Old 02-11-13, 21:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
yea but i don't see him gettin up there tomorrow, fat or no fat he still gotta carry it over that steep climb.

I don't think he'll do it, besides doesn't he have to ride for Evans/gilbert tomorrow?
Probably all true, though I imagine Cuddles isn't going to be a factor here since this is his first race of the year. I was responding to Ryo's assertion/implication that weight/mass alone defines leanness. It doesn't.

"I have no intention of being a conformist in this race. Not in the slightest" Alberto Contador

"We should all have more cake. Who doesn’t like cake?" Oleg Tinkov
Old 02-11-13, 21:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publicus View Post
I know that but his top weight is 83kg, and I mean to say, with 85 kg and not being a climber he stands no chance
Old 02-11-13, 21:32

Quote:
He looks a world apart from the pre-Giro '12 Phinney.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton