2013 Volta ao Algarve (14th-17th February), 2.1 - Page 61 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 02-17-13, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netserk View Post

More like <1 min
Berto hasn't done many great tts lately though so I wouldn't be so sure.
Old 02-17-13, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
will anybody be able to beat Martin this year (longish TT)?
Martin was in pretty good form at the World ITT champs as shown by the way he stormed Beijing and CDS after that and yet young Taylor Phinney gave him more than just a race for his money. Phinney is still young but he is an incredibly talent

Bradley Wiggins beat Martin in Algarve, PN, Olympics and Tour last year.
Albeit in every one of those situations Martin was either injured or handicapped in some way yet Wiggins did earmark himself as the best ITT rider of 2012 and I wouldn't automatically give that title back to Martin considering Wiggins's improvement over the past couple of years.

Fabian Cancellara is still racing and is still a beast I wouldn't discount a rider who has won 4 WC ITT.
Old 02-17-13, 21:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
Well he came 7th in the Eneco Tour ITT which considering it was his first race after his comeback is pretty good. He came 2nd in the Vuelta ITT, though that was pretty hilly, yet still a good result. He may have come 9th in the Worlds ITT but he may have been having an off day and still 9th in the worlds isn't half bad. This year his 13th in Sans Luis was obviously down to the fact he wasn't in top form. He has a good enough base to climb competitively even when not trimmed down but his ITT does seem to slide a bit, just see last year's Sans Luis ITT where similar occured I think.
Old 02-17-13, 22:26

Quote:
Remember this thread: http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=18314
Take Bradley Wiggins for example, and his claim that he thought Lance Armstrong was clean up until the reasoned decision. I do have a little sympathy for him. While he's not particularly bright or articulate, if you read between his curse words it's clear that he has insecurities resulting from the fact that despite all the measures he took to win the Tour he wasn't even the strongest rider.
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up
Old 02-17-13, 22:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froome19 View Post
Martin was in pretty good form at the World ITT champs as shown by the way he stormed Beijing and CDS after that and yet young Taylor Phinney gave him more than just a race for his money. Phinney is still young but he is an incredibly talent

Albeit in every one of those situations Martin was either injured or handicapped in some way yet Wiggins did earmark himself as the best ITT rider of 2012 and I wouldn't automatically give that title back to Martin considering Wiggins's improvement over the past couple of years.

Fabian Cancellara is still racing and is still a beast I wouldn't discount a rider who has won 4 WC ITT.
The question I have about Wiggo is his focus. Last year he had a unique opportunity with the London TT. Once in a lifetime and he delivered. I think he would need to train for TT'ing in a similar way this year to reach '12 level. Why would he do that? Giro GC? Worlds TT? Maybe. For Martin its business as usual on the TT front. He wants to be the best at that. Anyway we shall see.
Old 02-17-13, 22:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle Chic View Post
JTL on twitter. Looks like he was TOLD to be bottle carrier...sounded a bit miffed that he,s being held in the blocks.
Thanks Cycle Chic. All a bit odd
Old 02-17-13, 23:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
The question I have about Wiggo is his focus. Last year he had a unique opportunity with the London TT. Once in a lifetime and he delivered. I think he would need to train for TT'ing in a similar way this year to reach '12 level. Why would he do that? Giro GC? Worlds TT? Maybe. For Martin its business as usual on the TT front. He wants to be the best at that. Anyway we shall see.
Completely agree. Wiggins will be strong, but probably top 5 at most in the TTs this year. Looking forward to the Phinney/Martin showdowns
Old 02-17-13, 23:15

Quote:
Hmm don't know about Alberto in a flat 35 km tt. I would say he'd lose 1'30"-2'00"
If he turns up a minute late to the start ramp.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 02-17-13, 23:27

Quote:

Martin 2011.Wiggins 2012. He won a tt in February, March, April, June, July, August, September and October and at least some of those would have been off form. Wiggins

he beat Wiggins in several tts that year including crucially the worlds, and Wiggins was on form for at least some of them.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 02-18-13, 01:08
Administrator

Quote:
Well he came 7th in the Eneco Tour ITT which considering it was his first race after his comeback is pretty good. He came 2nd in the Vuelta ITT, though that was pretty hilly, yet still a good result. He may have come 9th in the Worlds ITT but he may have been having an off day and still 9th in the worlds isn't half bad. This year his 13th in Sans Luis was obviously down to the fact he wasn't in top form. He has a good enough base to climb competitively even when not trimmed down but his ITT does seem to slide a bit, just see last year's Sans Luis ITT where similar occured I think.
The worlds course also didn't really suit him. The profile looked hilly, which was why he decided to target it, but riding it he found it was not as hilly as it appeared on the profile.

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"