Acquarone's Gauntlet - Page 2 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 02-16-13, 02:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeballs Out View Post
Along those lines, my solution for the Giro would be for each of the 23 teams involved to submit a sealed bid which would contain the number of WT points they would gain by staying at home:- team with the lowest bid gets those points and drops out. Similar could apply for the other races

That should mean that the team with the least ambition stays at home which is good for us and also provides some compensation for the team that has been messed around
Lotto Belisol- 0
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 02-16-13, 02:52
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeballs Out View Post
Along those lines, my solution for the Giro would be for each of the 23 teams involved to submit a sealed bid which would contain the number of WT points they would gain by staying at home:- team with the lowest bid gets those points and drops out. Similar could apply for the other races

That should mean that the team with the least ambition stays at home which is good for us and also provides some compensation for the team that has been messed around
I sort of like this idea. It might be interesting to create a bidding system for the entire season. Teams amass points then use them to bid on races they want to attend.
Old 02-16-13, 08:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChingon View Post
What, why can't you run a serious pro team with semi-solid commitments, as in if you go against the rules you are out! Don't race enough and get some quality placings, you are out!

This would only raise the bar, races want the best not just riders who train for one race a year. Why, because those riders riding the most garner the most fans. Sure winning le Tour gets a rider top billing but not if they don't qualify to ride le Tour by sitting on the bench the whole early season.
It is already very difficult to sell $10M sponsorships at the top of our sport. Without a firm understanding of where the exposure will come from it will be impossible. If you prefer to give race organisers more discretionary power simply reduce the number of teams in the first division to say 12-15.

A well designed ranking system will take care of the commitment to the races at the top, just like it does in many other professional sport.

The alternative will be a bunch of Savio type teams scrambling to find space on the jersey for $100K sponsor donations.

Last edited by Dazed and Confused; 02-16-13 at 08:23.
Old 02-16-13, 08:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
I sort of like this idea. It might be interesting to create a bidding system for the entire season. Teams amass points then use them to bid on races they want to attend.
perhaps workable, but fans are often driven by certain rivalries: Boonen vs Cancellara, Froome vs Contador etc. Personally prefer top riders targeting similar races like the one in Oman. I can see lots of deal making behind the scenes with such a bidding system.
Old 02-16-13, 08:52

8 riders for GTs...simple as that
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
what? quintana is already better climber than froome. see final stages of the tour and he's only 23. quintana is the best climber I've sene since pantani. he will become a legend
I am a fan of Afrank's hyping posts!
Excuse me for my English
Old 02-16-13, 11:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILovecycling View Post
8 riders for GTs...simple as that
Not that simple

Regardless of number of riders per team, one more team means more logistics: more cars and support staff in the race, one more bus, more space requirements for stage finishes and additional hotel bookings.
Old 02-16-13, 11:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by icefire View Post
Not that simple

Regardless of number of riders per team, one more team means more logistics: more cars and support staff in the race, one more bus, more space requirements for stage finishes and additional hotel bookings.
I know,but also more space in the bunch,hotels,dop.controls...IMO its the best option.(ok,best option is send Argos to proconti)
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
what? quintana is already better climber than froome. see final stages of the tour and he's only 23. quintana is the best climber I've sene since pantani. he will become a legend
I am a fan of Afrank's hyping posts!
Excuse me for my English
Old 02-16-13, 16:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILovecycling View Post
I know,but also more space in the bunch,hotels,dop.controls...IMO its the best option.(ok,best option is send Argos to proconti)
More space in the bunch maybe, but less space in the hotels. Each team has to take their own staff after all, which number doesn't really change if you have 9, 8 or even 6 riders per team.
Old 02-16-13, 21:28

Each team may drop up to two WT races; every race guaranteed at least 16 WT teams. Any WT race that has already announced its wild cards can be guaranteed a drop out if they require it. Teams get to choose which races they drop in order of their finishing order in team rankings last year.
Old 02-16-13, 21:34

I am waiting for ASO to have a say.
Currently what they say goes, well it should if the UCI have any sense.