Do You Consider J.Rodriguez a Wheelsucker? - Page 3 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Do You Consider J.Rodriguez a Wheelsucker?
Yes 22 14.01%
No. 95 60.51%
Not really but his racing style can annoy me. 40 25.48%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-13, 15:44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netserk View Post
He will clearly lose to Nibali. A true attacker.
Nibali showed pulls mostly, not attacks. It seems to me Nibali committed one soto speak attack - at tirreno
Old 02-18-13, 15:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
Nibali showed pulls mostly, not attacks. It seems to me Nibali committed one soto speak attack - at tirreno
Nibali attacked in the last four mountain stages of the tour, L-B-L, MSR, T-A, GdL, Vuelta and Giro.

Nibali attacks all year in almost every race where he has form.
Take Bradley Wiggins for example, and his claim that he thought Lance Armstrong was clean up until the reasoned decision. I do have a little sympathy for him. While he's not particularly bright or articulate, if you read between his curse words it's clear that he has insecurities resulting from the fact that despite all the measures he took to win the Tour he wasn't even the strongest rider.
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up
Old 02-18-13, 15:53
Banned

Quote:
Nibali attacked in the last four mountain stages of the tour, L-B-L, MSR, T-A, GdL, Vuelta and Giro.

Nibali attacks all year in almost every race where he has form.
Ah, ok. I agree. I just rate uphill moves much higher than any other and Nibali traditionally has problem with that.
Old 02-18-13, 16:06
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone View Post
To me a wheelsucker is someone like Leipheimer that does it even though he has no chance winning a spint. JRod is just playing at his strenghts
Pretty much agree with this. Plus Purito has too frequently attacked in the past and chased down others that were attacking him to classify him as a wheelsucker.

Rodriguez also isn't the kind of rider that stays glued to his teammates or other riders wheels and wait for the attacking rider to be reeled back in, I consider that wheelsucking. Rodriguez will follow the attacking rider.

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
Old 02-18-13, 17:52
Banned

No, Was Tour of Oman the first race you have ever watched? Sounds like it.
Old 02-18-13, 19:03

J-Rod isn't a wheelsucker. He just has a limited range for attacks and sometimes doesn't dare to take too much of a risk. Take Stelvio, where he needed time from Hesjedal, but the attack still only came with a kilometre to go. As a result he can sit in the bunch a lot (plus, at 56kg and 1'63 or whatever he is he can be quite easily bullied out of good spots in the group) and this can make him frustrating to watch, even for those who like him. And besides, as the leader he had every right to wheelsuck on Stelvio, it's just that he should have known it was counterproductive to his chances of victory.

Also, I think this ought to be written off in one sentence: Joaquím Rodríguez won a monument, solo. That's the point where wheelsucker tags have to be thrown off. When Evans won the Worlds riding in solo (with J-Rod behind him of course), that was the final nail in the coffin for Evans the Wheelsucker: it was over, that criticism would no longer be valid. Come to think of it, Mendrisio should be enough evidence that Purito's no wheelsucker. He was in the break of the day, he threw at least one attack when the elites made it up to them, and he and Kolobnev did their turns to try to pull Evans back, he was just shot from the effort and Evans was too strong.

Forever tte de la course.
Old 02-18-13, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
J-Rod isn't a wheelsucker. He just has a limited range for attacks and sometimes doesn't dare to take too much of a risk. Take Stelvio, where he needed time from Hesjedal, but the attack still only came with a kilometre to go. As a result he can sit in the bunch a lot (plus, at 56kg and 1'63 or whatever he is he can be quite easily bullied out of good spots in the group) and this can make him frustrating to watch, even for those who like him. And besides, as the leader he had every right to wheelsuck on Stelvio, it's just that he should have known it was counterproductive to his chances of victory.

Also, I think this ought to be written off in one sentence: Joaquím Rodríguez won a monument, solo. That's the point where wheelsucker tags have to be thrown off. When Evans won the Worlds riding in solo (with J-Rod behind him of course), that was the final nail in the coffin for Evans the Wheelsucker: it was over, that criticism would no longer be valid. Come to think of it, Mendrisio should be enough evidence that Purito's no wheelsucker. He was in the break of the day, he threw at least one attack when the elites made it up to them, and he and Kolobnev did their turns to try to pull Evans back, he was just shot from the effort and Evans was too strong.
I agree that Purito wasn't a wheelsucker back when he was a dom for Valv. The way I see Stelvio, is that it ofc was okay for him to expect Hesjedal to pull the group, but the fact that he didn't go with Scarponi when he attacked, but waited until the kite so he could do his sprint, is IMO what a wheelsucker with a sprint like Purito would do.

To me Purito is as one-dimensional as Cav. Be it hills or mountain, he will wait until he is sure that he can sprint the rest of the way.
Take Bradley Wiggins for example, and his claim that he thought Lance Armstrong was clean up until the reasoned decision. I do have a little sympathy for him. While he's not particularly bright or articulate, if you read between his curse words it's clear that he has insecurities resulting from the fact that despite all the measures he took to win the Tour he wasn't even the strongest rider.
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up
Old 02-18-13, 19:26

Quote:
I agree that Purito wasn't a wheelsucker back when he was a dom for Valv. The way I see Stelvio, is that it ofc was okay for him to expect Hesjedal to pull the group, but the fact that he didn't go with Scarponi when he attacked, but waited until the kite so he could do his sprint, is IMO what a wheelsucker with a sprint like Purito would do.
This was the first time Purito was that close to winning a GT, so in hindsight, I'm pretty sure he's regretted not attacking earlier, but remember the next dat was the ITT so that was on his mind as well.
Old 02-18-13, 19:51
Administrator

he said in an interview a couple weeks ago that he needed to be even more conservative to win a GT so i am not sure he thinks he should have attacked earlier on the stelvio.

honestly i don't think he is a total wheelsucker but his style of waiting until he is an anaerobic effort away from the finishing line to make his move, which he uses most of the times, annoys me.

long story short: sestrieres purito = cool
cuito negro, stelvio, pampeago, ancares purito = not cool

honestly since he wheelsucked pozzovivo all the way till 500 meters to go on pampeago while hesjedal was riding away i could never cheer for him again.

Last edited by Parrulo; 02-18-13 at 19:53.
Old 02-18-13, 20:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
he said in an interview a couple weeks ago that he needed to be even more conservative to win a GT so i am not sure he thinks he should have attacked earlier on the stelvio.
Yep. In another interview he said that when Hesjedal attacked a few days before that he let him go so hesjedal would get the jersey. And that way there was less pressure for him.

He says that that was his fault, not the stelvio stage so yeah.

Do something.

You know it's not real.

Your Garmin guys are getting killed.