Rigoberto Uran discussion thread. - Page 2 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 02-18-13, 23:33

Winning that Suisse stage as a 20 year old seems such a long time ago. Keep forgetting how young this guy still is
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
Old 02-19-13, 03:40

I met Rigo in Vancouver in November. That was the highlight of 2012 for me.
Old 02-19-13, 03:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo Sunrise View Post
Sadly his career aim rather gives the game away. Was a very exciting talent a few years back, and has now matured in to a very good, but not great rider. Podium seems a sensible target if a weaker field comes along at some point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post

anyway to be honest i expected uran to already be a top rider by now but he still hasn't delivered, the talent appears to be there but something must be missing
I think he took a big step forward this year and his best results will happen once he goes to a less stacked team. That said, he really seems to have blossomed at Sky.
Old 02-19-13, 08:47

i think long-term predictions concerning GCs (not only GCs) are difficult, anyways.

Who would have thought Contador would become the dominator he is after his 2005 Tour?
Or Froome, when you saw him at BArloworld.

On the other side, Fothen was predicted to be GC podium finisher and rides 2.2 races in his best GC age, nowadays.
Many people expected to dominate the GCs in the GTs for many years, after 2004.

And so on...
Old 02-19-13, 08:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHRH19861986 View Post
i think long-term predictions concerning GCs (not only GCs) are difficult, anyways.

Who would have thought Contador would become the dominator he is after his 2005 Tour?

On the other side, Fothen was predicted to be GC podium finisher and rides 2.2 races in his best GC age, nowadays.

And so on...
Contador was talked about as a future star in those days, although more as a TTer who could climb that a dominant climber. (Was 2005 the year he was very good in the Pais Vasco?)

It's a valid point though.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
Old 02-19-13, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by will10 View Post
Contador was talked about as a future star in those days, although more as a TTer who could climb that a dominant climber. (Was 2005 the year he was very good in the Pais Vasco?)

It's a valid point though.
Yes, youre right, must have been the year when Di Luca won Pais Vasco.

I remember Saiz predicted AC as future Tour winner already in 2005, when there was quite a hype around Valverde.

BTW, in autumn of 2004, I thought Santi Perez might be a future GT winner Sorry, Im getting OT.
Old 02-19-13, 09:50

It's good that he seems to be more focused on one-day races this year. That's where I think he could still make the step up in class, not in GTs.
Old 02-19-13, 10:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duartista View Post
It's good that he seems to be more focused on one-day races this year. That's where I think he could still make the step up in class, not in GTs.
I agree with this. He seems to have too many bad days in grand tours, and his TTing isn't quite strong enough, as far as I can see.
Old 02-19-13, 10:03

Quote:
Yes, youre right, must have been the year when Di Luca won Pais Vasco.

I remember Saiz predicted AC as future Tour winner already in 2005, when there was quite a hype around Valverde.

BTW, in autumn of 2004, I thought Santi Perez might be a future GT winner Sorry, Im getting OT.
No reason not to think Santi was gonna win all three GTs in 2005, the way he rode the last week of that Vuelta....yikes.
Old 02-19-13, 11:37

Quote:

And so on...
me and tons of others. he was always a MASSIVE talent