Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Will ____ ever win a grand tour?
A Schleck* 45 34.35%
F Schleck 3 2.29%
Froome 109 83.21%
Scarponi* 1 0.76%
Rodriguez 58 44.27%
Samu Sanchez 11 8.40%
VDB2 8 6.11%
Gesink 29 22.14%
Rujano 5 3.82%
Kreuziger 11 8.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-13, 23:22

Froome will win every race he enters from now until 2019. This will include Roubaix.

Forever tte de la course.
Old 02-19-13, 00:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cineteq View Post
How about Tejay?
He would be one of the up and coming riders mentioned in the question. Tejay, Pinot, Rolland and a number of others are coming and will hit the top level soon. The question is when they reach that level who will get pushed out and have missed their chance of winning

I went Andy (he will eventually focus on other than the tour), Froome and j-rod. Although I also forgot how old j-rod is but there is still hope.
I wanted to say Samu but think he has missed his shot.
Old 02-19-13, 00:31

Young gun Roland.will.kick out froome ? Froome is only a year older. Quintana and pinot are the big young hopes.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 02-19-13, 00:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Young gun Roland.will.kick out froome ? Froome is only a year older. Quintana and pinot are the big young hopes.
I was just throwing out some riders who have been listed on this forum as potential GT challengers of the future to explain why Tejay wasn't listed on the poll.
It will not be Roland who dislodges Froome, the person to do that will clearly be Cam Meyer
Old 02-19-13, 01:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
Froome will win every race he enters from now until 2019. This will include Roubaix.
El Imbatido 2?

I'm surprised that there's so much more love for Gesink than for VDB2. I used to think Bob was destined for much greater GT success, but my thinking is beginning to change.

Last edited by jaylew; 02-19-13 at 01:32.
Old 02-19-13, 01:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerion View Post
He would be one of the up and coming riders mentioned in the question. Tejay, Pinot, Rolland and a number of others are coming and will hit the top level soon. The question is when they reach that level who will get pushed out and have missed their chance of winning
Yeah guys like that, Quintana, Talansky, Henao, etc...once they've had a podium and/or been knocking on the door a few times would make this poll.
Quote:
I wanted to say Samu but think he has missed his shot.
That's my fear as well. I still voted for him - just couldn't bring myself not to.
Old 02-19-13, 06:38

Andy will win a grand tour in the next three years IF he gets his act together and improves in the time trials. Being one of the best climbers but having one of the worst time trials of GC contenders will not get him a win.

In hindsight, Frank could have won the giro had he stayed in the race last year. He could have put time into hesjedal and the rest of the field in the climbs. Afterall, he probably was the best climber in the field last year. He can still win the giro or vuelta but not the tour.

Gesink should target a giro or vuelta win to gain some confidence then target the tour. But I'm not sure he has what it takes to win the tour. I doubt he can take time on Froome and Alberto.

Froome will win a grand tour in the very near future. He has the best time trial out of the GC contenders but we still need to see whether he can beat Contador. Tour of Oman victory doesn't mean anything as far as the tour goes.

Rodriguez and Sanchez better target the Vuelta or the Giro.
Old 02-19-13, 06:44

Pretty much this. A lot of these guy's could have gotten a GT already if they wouldn't have focused so absurdly much on the Tour
Old 02-19-13, 08:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylew View Post
[...]

*on the road, not in the courts.
Ha ha ha ha...
Old 02-19-13, 08:24

Kreuziger 3 votes, that's more than I'd expect, considering he's Czech (so he doesn't have many fans here who would be interested) and that due to that he's partly unpopular (don't know why). Only time will say.