'The Old Contador is gone' Claim - Page 2 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 02-24-13, 18:20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
It is comparable in the sense that people draw conclusions far too quickly. And these explosive attacks Contador did in Oman, if Evans and Froome had followed them they'd blown up as well. For Contador it's part testing his rivals, part training. In July he'll make those attacks stick. In the Tirreno he'll already be better, and won't do pointless attacks at the bottom of a climb.
Nonetheless, Cummings and Froome is absolutely different grade of contention. Evans dropped for obvious reason. Froome rather felt comfortable and controlled the situation unless you think that Contador could win the stage where he destroyed himself at 4-5% winded road alone. For his rivals, it is the same testing and training. No one target Tour of Oman to win necessarily.

Contador has huge experience and he doesn't do anything in vain. I think he did those attacks because hoped they could work. It was not fun from him]

I don't quite get what 'that Contador' means since a rider can be estimated only under the angle of his rivals. As to the Giro 2011, such a thing is impossible in the Tour by default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo
Discuss
You simply should shift your attitude to more democratic one. There are other riders who can win too. If Froome wins, it will be a sensation in no way. Surely, you can repeat 'when contador is a giro form, no one can touch him' like autotraining, but it is just attempts to loathe yourself. Btw as 2 Tirreno people voted with a very slight Froome's advantage. Contador got lots of voices too. Why are u unhappy with that?

Last edited by airstream; 02-24-13 at 18:38.
Old 02-24-13, 18:47

Bertie's most dominating performances were often due to a lack of top level competition such as Rasmussen provided in 2007 and Andy in 2010. I expect Froome to be close to that but if he can't match those guys in the mountains, the time trial won't get him to the top step.

But maybe everyone will be too worn out from the Spring campaigns for it to matter.
Old 02-24-13, 18:57
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanatic View Post
Bertie's most dominating performances were often due to a lack of top level competition such as Rasmussen provided in 2007 and Andy in 2010. I expect Froome to be close to that but if he can't match those guys in the mountains, the time trial won't get him to the top step.

But maybe everyone will be too worn out from the Spring campaigns for it to matter.
those guys?
Old 02-24-13, 19:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cineteq View Post
It doesn't mean he won't win more GTs as he's one of the smartest and experienced GT racers out there.
Agreed he's one all the GT's since his return.
Old 02-24-13, 19:16

I think AC main weapon against his rivals is his recovery. He destroyed JRod with an endless amount of attacks this Vuelta, and I suspect an even strnger AC will do the same this tour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
Old 02-24-13, 19:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
Yes, i'm a fan. If this needs to go the clinic, alright then although that's really not the aim of this.

This is getting ridiculous, all these claims that Contador is not the same anymore as in '09 since you know what...

Some here even say Contador will never be the same as he was in the giro '11. Without going into clinic-mode but 'it' already happened then. Ridiculous, Contador has as much reason to 'clinic' now than he has in '11. Seriously what has changed since then?

I can get the argument of '09 but he was so superior in the giro '11 that it was pretty obvious he was at that same level, maybe even better as Contador claims himself.

In an interview Contador himself stated that he wanted to be better than in the giro '11. He even broke his training record (last year) that he had broke just before the giro '11.

Obviously these are things we can't verify but since when is Contador the big talker? He always talks down his own changes.

Remember the "i'm fat, don't expect much" in san luis last year. He won 2 mountain stages.

If he really is not the same anymore, would he say all this?

You may argue that but give the man a fair chance at least instead of all this doom-talking. I understand that it's forum where we discuss cycling but is there really a significant sign that supports this claim?

Oh no but look at the vuelta of 2012 (which he won). He couldn't drop purito, thus he's not the same anymore

He had 1 year no competition. Ok 6 days in san luis and 1 day in spain but that's it. Prior to that his last race was the tour '11 so pretty much 13 months no competition.

How was basso in his first GT after his return? how was valverde? Heck how was armstrong? Ok maybe I shouldn't use that one

I don't remember correctly but vino his performance in the vuelta of '09 wasn't superb either, right?

The fact is that your first GT won't be easy especially if you only rode freaking eneco tour...

Now Contador lost in Oman, thus he will lose the tour. Ridiculous. It's not a super sign but what about february and a 1 week stage race?

No, let's reject that.

What do you think about all this talk? You think it's justified? You think i'm being a butthurt fan?

Discuss.
Basso, Valverde, Armstrong

not just Contador

btw tells a lot....
When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking.
Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 02-24-13, 19:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca and me View Post
Basso, Valverde, Armstrong

not just Contador

btw tells a lot....
Not sure I understand
Old 02-24-13, 19:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
Not sure I understand
Comeback strength vs. pre ban/retirement strength
When a rider refuses to take a pull even though it is tactically and/or strategically more sound to take a pull
*Refusing to pull when it is tactically and/or strategically more sound not to is therefore not wheelsucking
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up
Old 02-24-13, 19:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netserk View Post
Comeback strength vs. pre ban/retirement strength
But what about the Bolded Capital Letters by the way Piti seems very strong still.
Old 02-24-13, 19:30

Basso = not quite robo Basso, but still had a year or 2 as a top gt rider after his comeback

Valverde = to early to say yet, but what we saw in the Vuelta was VERY promising to say atleast.

Armstrong = old

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs