Newsflash. Brian Cookson, british cycling, to stand against Pat McQuaid (SUI) for uci - Page 12 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 06-05-13, 01:14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyivel View Post
Nothing wrong with changing your mind but when you do it is the issue.
No, it's not when - it's why, always the why.

He actually hasn't answered that well yet - as Freddy pointed out, he says something developed without saying what that is (and no obvious reason).

But this is a minor issue, and appears to be PR. Sort out the credibility issue in competitive cycling and the sponsors will come, then how the money is divided can be discussed.
Old 06-05-13, 01:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehog View Post
But the press releases said it was the Brad Wiggins Foundarion and SKINs who kicked it off with BC?

How did Sky sneak their name in there?
Team provides support and advice.
Old 06-05-13, 01:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatParker117 View Post
BC and Sky were a big factor in setting up Wiggle Honda
Entirely incorrect

Quote:
Wiggle Honda will more than likely become SKy Womens Pro Cycling.
Correct

The Team support and advice came later, when it was safe to go into the woods cos they would not be got.
Old 06-05-13, 01:33

Quote:
BC and Sky were a big factor in setting up Wiggle Honda if they can get a hold of Vos or Armistead Wiggle Honda will more than likely become SKy Womens Pro Cycling.
No. If they bought vos they would become the bmc of women's cycling. Sky would be if they turned Laura trott into vos.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 06-05-13, 01:41

Default A dynamic duo

Sky 2014, men's and women's teams. Tour and World TT champion Froome matched with World number 1 and World RR winner Vos. It could be superb.
Old 06-05-13, 02:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
No. If they bought vos they would become the bmc of women's cycling. Sky would be if they turned Laura trott into vos.
I think everyone knows that Laura Trott is too lovely to dope (if that is what you are implying).
Old 06-05-13, 04:08

Ok, I've been working too damn much and not paying attention, I admit my manifold sins.

But,

I thought Phattie had lined up the Swiss to nominate him and assure his triumphant return. Did the Swiss back out? What happened?
Old 06-05-13, 06:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddythefrog View Post
Lovin it The guy makes it up as he goes along

Cookson: I want to try and do a lot more to help develop women’s cycling. Previously I’ve said that it wasn’t the right time to introduce a minimum wage but I’ve looked at that again and I think the situation has developed and what we probably need now is a two tier system where we do set a minimum wage for the highest level of pro teams for women.

Back in January he was on the Guardian web site telling everyone that now was not the right time and more development was needed. Nothing has developed since then apart from inside his head. As to doing a lot more to develop women's cycling, he has had several years on the Board to do something and he has done absolutely nothing.

At Sky and at more importantly at BC,where he has to comply with a charter for non sexist discrimination in provision he had the ability to get a women's team going. That he allowed Brailsford to spout about getting one pro team with all the GB riders in it for London and how wonderful this was and yet they could not be bothered to do anything for the women, tells us that he is duplicitous. A Sky women's team and the press attention it would bring would transform women's road cycling. He and Brailsford were sat in exactly the right spot and the decision came both before London and after London. remember that time when Brailsford was spouting all that nonsense about supporting the girls on the road. Nothing. convicted by his own inaction.

So that puts him absolutely neck and neck with Pat.
Hot air - check.
Action - nothing observed - check.

Way to go dudes, so difficult to choose.
Welcome to the wonderous world of cycling..........check.

Not sure about a Sky team for women, if it is going to be anything like the Sky team for men............check

Minimum wage for Women, slightly better than nothing at all.........check

Getting women on bikes campaign by BC, buying bikes with their minimum wages........check

Publicity to sell more bikes to a growing female interest in fitness cycling......check

Pendleton rubbishy Halfords bikes that can be easily afforded on mimimum wage........check (saw a women riding one on the weekend and she had gear trouble.....check)

I know, want great publicity for women's cycling "babes on Bikes" campaign on the general forum thread. Has over 3,000,000 hits.........go check

Last edited by horsinabout; 01-15-14 at 18:08.
Old 06-05-13, 07:03

It'll be great for Sky and Dave Brailsford and that's about it.

How is road cycling getting on in the UK? Dying on its **** that's how.

How many tests have been smothered under Cooksons leadership? Anyone know or are they just rumours.

By all accounts a good guy but impartial? Not sure. His son works for Team Sky, I'm sure a thorough and proper recruitment process was followed but BC / Sky / Cookson are properly entangled.

I fear it will be more of the same but with slicker PR.
Old 06-05-13, 07:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbins View Post
It'll be great for Sky and Dave Brailsford and that's about it.

How is road cycling getting on in the UK? Dying on its **** that's how.

How many tests have been smothered under Cooksons leadership? Anyone know or are they just rumours.

By all accounts a good guy but impartial? Not sure. His son works for Team Sky, I'm sure a thorough and proper recruitment process was followed but BC / Sky / Cookson are properly entangled.

I fear it will be more of the same but with slicker PR.
Hundreds more buying bikes and riding. Bike shops expanding and offering fit consultations. Depends on how you measure success. It's certainly true to say that road racing is struggling as clubs find laying on a sportive is far more profitable and less stressful than organising a race.