Has WADA gone too far in the Hamilton case? - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 07-17-09, 02:59

Default Has WADA gone too far in the Hamilton case?

I think they have. What is the point of wasting energy and time on trying to ban Hamilton for life? He already accepted his guilt.

I have never been a fan of Tyler Hamilton but in this case and taking into account his illness, I think WADA has gone too far.

Having said that, I want to know the opinion of others.

Thanks.

Here is the link:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hami...fe-ban-request

Last edited by Escarabajo; 07-17-09 at 03:08.
Old 07-17-09, 03:19

yeah i think its excessive most certainly. he accepted an 8 year ban which effectively ends his career thats enough beyond that is cruel imo.
Old 07-17-09, 03:31

Yes - it is just a waste of money and grand standing on WADA's part. Eight years or life will not make a difference to Hamilton's career. His career is over regardless of the length of the suspension.
Old 07-17-09, 03:35

maybe i'll be the first to say no. when you have a guy like tyler hamilton that's confirmed everyone's worst suspicions about professional cycling again and again, you have every right to try and keep him as far away from your sport as possible for as long as possible. when you mess up that many times i don't have a lot of sympathy.

though i do agree it's largely grandstanding. homeboy ain't coming back at 45.
Old 07-17-09, 03:38

What does the ban entail? Is it just a ban from competition, or more like what Pete Rose received from MLB for betting on baseball games (total banishment from the sport)?
Old 07-17-09, 04:08

Default They are making an example

I don't agree. They are making an example of him, publicly, to show everyone what they can and will do.

As one poster asked, I do believe that the lifetime ban forbids him from any cycling activity i.e. coaching, consulting, racing, etc.

It is not like he is going to come back from an 8 year ban so why make it lifetime other than using him to show that WADA is serious and powerful.

Yes, he was on the juice like everyone else. I might catch some flak from another member (workingclassZERO) like last time for saying this...but lets just sweep this under the rug and move on. It's already over and done with at the original suspension.
Old 07-17-09, 04:50
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
I don't agree. They are making an example of him, publicly, to show everyone what they can and will do.

As one poster asked, I do believe that the lifetime ban forbids him from any cycling activity i.e. coaching, consulting, racing, etc.

It is not like he is going to come back from an 8 year ban so why make it lifetime other than using him to show that WADA is serious and powerful.

Yes, he was on the juice like everyone else. I might catch some flak from another member (workingclassZERO) like last time for saying this...but lets just sweep this under the rug and move on. It's already over and done with at the original suspension.
Turd - I would normally be like "workinclass.." and be totally opposed to sweeping stuff under the rug too. However this is just WADA BS and is about publicity.
I have no sympathy for Tyler - he cheated, twice, or should I say got caught twice. He is out of the sport.

Given the circumstances of his case the 8 years is a sufficent punishment.
The life sentences should be for the DS's, coaches and medical personnel who facilitate and encourage doping not for a guy who admits his offence for a not very effective PED.
Old 07-17-09, 05:22
Administrator

No - he should get the ban. He shouldn't be fighting it?

My only concern is that they waste resources prosecuting a guy that will never race again anyway. They could spend this money on something a little more useful.
Old 07-17-09, 05:23
Administrator

When I first read the headline, I thought "Why?" and that WADA was barking up the wrong tree and wasting time and money.

But after I read the comments from his attorney, I'm pondering it. It's equally frustrating that Tyler still seems to be in full denial, and sent his attorney out to make the DHEA test sound like it was accidental. If Tyler would have stood up and asked what more they want from him, and isn't it enough that his career is over and in ruin, then I might see things a little different.

But Dr. Mas is right. The people they really, really need to go after is the support. Stop placing full blame on the rider. There is no possible way Tyler doped as much as he did on his own. No way. He had at least one soigner and physician (mostly Fuentes) helping. Plus a connection, if not more than one along the line above that, or in addition to that. I'd say yes, Tyler needs to be kept out of the sport until by every indication he's honest and in integrity. Eight years, longer I don't know. But the people that assisted him and supplied him are the ones who belong banned or life, and probably in jail.
Old 07-17-09, 05:24

It is a symbolic gesture meant to demonstrate WADA's unwavering commitment to clean sport. In this sense it's merely the professional thing to do. At the human level, however, if Hamilton is indeed as emotionally sick as he claims and since he has already accepted an 8 year ban which effectively puts an end to his troubled career, then WADA's gesture is in poor taste.

So it depends on how you look at the situation, and whether you place more emphasis on the professional or human side of the issue.