Marco Pantani? - Page 2 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 08-04-09, 15:30

Send a message via Yahoo to mistahsinclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribe View Post
Isn't it possible the doping actually killed him?
Kinda...it was an accidental cocaine overdose.
Old 08-04-09, 15:33
Thoughtforfood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson Cycling View Post
This guy was around a couple years before I began watching cycling. I was just wondering why there is still such a strong following with him? I have done some research on him and he seemed to be a big doper and really the poster boy of the era that cycling wanted to end. I never saw him race so I don't really understand why he is so likable.
You gotta love SC: http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/....a8f89ba7.html
Old 08-04-09, 15:35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloFidelis View Post
That's a very interesting interpretation, of the facts. Are you really comfortable with your double standard?
Sarcasm doesn't always translate well

The OP is a staunch defender of the Armstrong myth, yet was able to conclude that Pantani was a doper by doing "some research". Just pointing out the duplicity of his position.
Old 08-04-09, 15:37
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloFidelis View Post
That's a very interesting interpretation, of the facts. Are you really comfortable with your double standard?
Pantani never tested positive. he was removed from the 99 Giro for having an elevated crit of 50.1%.
Any rider who went above 50% was 'suspended' for two weeks for health reasons. It was never a sanction - so it is a fact.

I dont think anyone is denying the other point though. But that should be discussed in the Clinic.
Old 08-04-09, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistahsinclair View Post
Kinda...it was an accidental cocaine overdose.
Cocaine has its place in some doping methods, no?

'Only once did clenbuterol show up in 83,203 animal samples tested by EU countries in 2008 and 2009, says the European Commission's directorate for health and consumer policy. Spain tested 19,431 samples in those years; none was positive for the drug.'
Old 08-04-09, 15:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Maserati View Post
Cycling was looked at as more than a sport - Coppi & Bartalis achievements were used as a symbol to restore pride back in to Italy
bartali even prevented civil war by winning the tour in 48!

/ontopic:

apart from the italian sports mentality pantani was the exact opposite of the posterboy you describe.
the posterboy of the epo-era was the 90kg sprinter who couldn't get his fat *** over the kemmelberg in 1992 and in 1993 suddenly rode along with the best on the tourmalet. preferably on a 54*12 or something like that. no attacking, just putting in power.

pantani was one of a few old style climbers who dared the powerhouses by attacking every time the road went up. the old fashioned pinches every km that eventually got everybody on their back.
that and his personality is why people love him.
the almost religious adoration is italy at it's finest. from the moment they stole the '99 giro from him, he (and the italian media) portrayed him(self) as a martyr. the one that had to take the fall for an entire generation because the public wanted to see heads roll after the festina-debacle. He was the best climber of his generation (auto godlike status in italy), he was a nice but mentally weak guy and 'they' exploited and killed him.
Old 08-04-09, 15:46
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribe View Post
Isn't it possible the doping actually killed him?
This certainly could be argued.

Although the biggest reason for his mental decline and use of cocaine was because he was bitter at having been singled out and abandoned by the same people who had prospered during his rise to fame.
Old 08-04-09, 16:13

Quote:
This guy was around a couple years before I began watching cycling. I was just wondering why there is still such a strong following with him? I have done some research on him and he seemed to be a big doper and really the poster boy of the era that cycling wanted to end. I never saw him race so I don't really understand why he is so likable.
A good read is "The Death of Marco Pantani" by Matt Rendell. Meticulously researched and very well written. Sad story though
Old 08-04-09, 16:15

Quote:
Marco was a genius, one and only Il Pirata, best climber ever... that's all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Maserati View Post
He was a popular winner of the Giro in 1998 but he was elevated to superstar status when he became the first Italian to win the Tour later that same year.
You are wrong my friend !? Why the name 928 for a famous Bianchi model ? The 9 and 2 come from the years 1949 & 1952 when Coppi won Giro & Tour de France and the 8 represents the year 1998 when it was won Marco Pantani.

R.I.P. Il Pirata

Old 08-04-09, 16:31
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Bala Verde Send a message via Skype™ to Bala Verde

Quote:
I never saw him race so I don't really understand why he is so likable.
His trademark 'in-the-drops-uphill-attack'