Skinsuits - Page 2 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cyclo-cross > General

General Skinny tyres, drop handlebars and mud. Lots of mud.

Old 11-29-09, 21:25

Talking skin suit

as the first person to wear a skin suit in a cross race in the uk in 1978, it was because after a very muddy cross race, I weighed my shorts jersey and socks and it weighted 4.5 lbs and we were drilling holes in chainrings and brake levers to save weight, yet carrying round 4 lbs of mud. skin suits were used only in timetrials that year and my local clothing supplier happened to have a sample one to see what this new material was and made me the very first one.
needless to say my first race in it caused some very very strange looks and comments.
I was also the very first to have shorts other than the required black ones, red in fact , but it only lasted for 6 weeks and was told black or be banned!!
Old 12-02-09, 19:11

Unless you are thin, do everyone a favor and don't wear a skinsuit.