World Politics - Page 1003 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 09-13-11, 22:19
Scott SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtreviso View Post
Surely you know it backward and forwards..Didn't make the cato email alert system???

Maybe you would just like to focus on important things..
http://www.newshounds.us/2011/09/13/...obama_with.php
I'll take your Cato and raise you a ThinkProgress.

I'll say again;

Quote:
Tell the story Red. Make sure you add a link or two as I'm not inclined to take your word for much.
Old 09-13-11, 22:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
I'll take your Cato and raise you a ThinkProgress.

I'll say again;
"Ex-Im Bank, an independent federal government agency, this year marks
its 72nd year of helping finance the sale of U.S. exports, primarily to
emerging markets throughout the world. The Bank last year authorized over
$12.1 billion in export financing. This included more than $532 million in
support of 140 U.S. export transactions to 23 sub-Saharan African
countries. Ex-Im Bank works with commercial lenders to help U.S. companies
increase export sales and American jobs and minimize risk by accessing the
Bank's financing and export credit insurance.
""

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-52753992.html

http://www.amazon.com/RUSSIA-EXPORT-.../dp/B0008HAV1S

http://www.iwatchnews.org/2000/08/02...federal-trough

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...-oil-firm.html
Old 09-13-11, 22:52
Scott SoCal

Quote:
"Ex-Im Bank, an independent federal government agency, this year marks
its 72nd year of helping finance the sale of U.S. exports, primarily to
emerging markets throughout the world. The Bank last year authorized over
$12.1 billion in export financing. This included more than $532 million in
support of 140 U.S. export transactions to 23 sub-Saharan African
countries. Ex-Im Bank works with commercial lenders to help U.S. companies
increase export sales and American jobs and minimize risk by accessing the
Bank's financing and export credit insurance.
""

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-52753992.html

http://www.amazon.com/RUSSIA-EXPORT-.../dp/B0008HAV1S

http://www.iwatchnews.org/2000/08/02...federal-trough

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...-oil-firm.html

Sooooooo, who defaulted on a government backed $500+ million dollar loan? Haliburton?

I must have missed that in your reporting.

You are pissed because Haliburton screwed BP in some Russian oil deal? Gawd, that must really pose a conflict for you.
Old 09-13-11, 23:10
Scott SoCal

Default For Redtreviso's benefit

President Obama during a visit to Solyndra's Fremont, Calif., plant which was financed partially by the Department of Energy

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-20...ing-to-happen/

Solyndra bankruptcy was disaster waiting to happen

Quote:
Solar manufacturer Solyndra filed for bankruptcy protection today, capping a stunning reversal for the government-backed company in a drama that's raising questions about U.S. industrial policy in green technology.

The Chapter 11 filing follows Solyndra's decision last week to shut down its Fremont, Calif., factory and lay off about 1,100 employees and contractors, saying it could not compete with low-cost manufacturers in other countries.

Solyndra is being held up as a case of the federal government not doing its homework picking companies to back in an effort to create jobs.
Quote:
Solyndra is like other solar companies in that it could not keep pace with falling prices, despite having innovative technology. What sets it apart is that Solyndra secured a large $535 million loan guarantee from the Department of Energy to build a plant even though many industry analysts said that it faced an uphill battle competing on price. Overall, it raised about $1 billion from private and public sources.
Quote:
It remains to be seen how effective loan guarantees are compared to industrial policies in China and other countries when it comes to scaling up U.S. solar technologies. But young solar upstarts need financing to build a demonstration factory to show whether they can compete internationally. An alternative to loan guarantees in the U.S. is partnering with a large industrial company and investor, as solar start-up PrimeStar is doing with General Electric.

"There is huge profit potential but no one is stepping in to fill the void that venture capitalists have left. These companies need sugar daddies that can finance their scale up," said Mehta. "If you're trying to compete with the Chinese, it's all about going big or going home and going big means scaling up."
Is that the same GE that keeps getting blasted by the left because they don't pay taxes... and Immelt made millions? You mean GE is actually picking up some of the slack from a lack of venture capitalists? OMG. Really? For renewable energy?

Geebus, maybe GE isn't quite as bad as I've been led to believe.

Last edited by Scott SoCal; 09-13-11 at 23:24. Reason: forgot to post link
Old 09-13-11, 23:19

Quote:
Sooooooo, who defaulted on a government backed $500+ million dollar loan? Haliburton?

I must have missed that in your reporting.

You are pissed because Haliburton screwed BP in some Russian oil deal? Gawd, that must really pose a conflict for you.
I thought you knew all this stuff.. EX IM pays Haliburton up front..500 mil to do 5 mil worth of work.. the 3rd world despot agrees to the 500 mil..US taxpayers pay Hal..Despot owes the US..can't pay.. turns into foreign aid. debt forgiven .Cigars are lit with 100 dollar bills at hal.. Oh yea .lt is also nice when the despot gets overthrown
Old 09-13-11, 23:22
Scott SoCal

Quote:
I thought you knew all this stuff.. EX IM pays Haliburton up front..500 mil to do 5 mil worth of work.. the 3rd world despot agrees to the 500 mil..US taxpayers pay Hal..Despot owes the US..can't pay.. turns into foreign aid. debt forgiven .Cigars are lit with 100 dollar bills at hal.. Oh yea .lt is also nice when the despot gets overthrown
I thought you may go down this path. Re-read your articles. And then post your evidence for the above. I'd be interested to see it.
Old 09-13-11, 23:23

Quote:
President Obama during a visit to Solyndra's Fremont, Calif., plant which was financed partially by the Department of Energy

Solyndra bankruptcy was disaster waiting to happen

Is that the same GE that keeps getting blasted by the left because they don't pay taxes... and Immelt made millions? You mean GE is actually picking up some of the slack from a lack of venture capitalists? OMG. Really? For renewable energy?

Geebus, maybe GE isn't quite as bad as I've been led to believe.
Maybe you missed this?

http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2011/0...oan-guarantee/
Old 09-13-11, 23:35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
No reports on last night's 'debate'? The fact that Perry can get away with some of the truly idiotic things I've seen him quoted as saying.
As I said, at this point in time Perry's going to get a pass from the media. They are going to look at it like it's Romney or the other candidates job to call him out. Besides, the media is not about objective or even factual reporting in most cases, it's a for-profit business, that gets most of it's money from infotainment. Yes, there are a few quality journalists, but the days of Edward R. Murrow are long gone.

As to the debate, I think what was most telling was when Wolf Blitzer asked if the 30 year old guy in a coma without insurance if they should just "let him die" and there was a large cheer and "yes!" from the crowd. What kind of sick society do we live in? What made it more strange was the comments from Romney and Perry about responsibility. Oh, so that's it. The guy was young and poor and didn't have insurance. Well, that's what he gets, because my money is mine, and I don't give a crap what kind of society we live in I'm not paying a penny for the less fortunate. God bless America.

Speaking of God. What was more fascinating was when Ron Paul commented on it, saying that when he was a doctor before Medicare and Medicaid, the churches took care of people like this. What kind of bubble does he live in??? Does he really think that if we eliminated Medicare and Medicaid, and all the nursing homes, care facilities, etc. were shut down, churches would come in and take care of the people? Really???
Old 09-13-11, 23:36
Scott SoCal

Quote:
No, I saw it. Laughed my *** off. I'm absolutely blown away that ThinkProgress would try and blame this on Bush. Shocked, stunned and amazed.

Maybe you missed this;

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/solynd...ry?id=14434588

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/solynd...4434588&page=2

Quote:
The raid and visits come amid increasing evidence the Justice Department and Inspector General are exploring whether Solyndra misled the government in securing its $535 million loan in 2009 and landing a vital refinancing of that loan earlier this year. Beginning in March, iWatch News, in partnership with ABC News, was first to report on simmering questions about the role political influence may have played in Solyndra's selection as the Obama administration's first loan guarantee recipient. One of the lead private investors in Solyndra was an Oklahoma billionaire who served as an Obama "bundler," raising money during the 2008 presidential campaign, and who is a frequent visitor to the White House.
http://www.iwatchnews.org/2011/09/09...omes-and-files
Old 09-13-11, 23:49
Scott SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
As I said, at this point in time Perry's going to get a pass from the media. They are going to look at it like it's Romney or the other candidates job to call him out. Besides, the media is not about objective or even factual reporting in most cases, it's a for-profit business, that gets most of it's money from infotainment. Yes, there are a few quality journalists, but the days of Edward R. Murrow are long gone.

As to the debate, I think what was most telling was when Wolf Blitzer asked if the 30 year old guy in a coma without insurance if they should just "let him die" and there was a large cheer and "yes!" from the crowd. What kind of sick society do we live in? What made it more strange was the comments from Romney and Perry about responsibility. Oh, so that's it. The guy was young and poor and didn't have insurance. Well, that's what he gets, because my money is mine, and I don't give a crap what kind of society we live in I'm not paying a penny for the less fortunate. God bless America.

Speaking of God. What was more fascinating was when Ron Paul commented on it, saying that when he was a doctor before Medicare and Medicaid, the churches took care of people like this. What kind of bubble does he live in??? Does he really think that if we eliminated Medicare and Medicaid, and all the nursing homes, care facilities, etc. were shut down, churches would come in and take care of the people? Really???
Quote:
Alpe, maybe I'm wrong but the question was if the 30 year old man had a good job and chose not to buy insurance and then had a medical situation.

The question is (at what point) are people responsible for their own actions (or in-actions)? If I don't buy auto insurance and could otherwise afford it and I hurt someone in an accident should the government take care of it?

The cheers (imo) were not for someone's death but for someone pointing out that people first and foremost should be responsible for themselves if that is at all possible. That one of the most important contributions that any one individual can make in this society is NOT be a burden to it whenever possible (my take on it, anyways).

I've held conservative views my entire life. I know many people that also hold some conservative views. I don't know anyone who would celebrate a death the way that question was posed (not to mention it would never happen).

Last edited by Scott SoCal; 09-14-11 at 00:12.