Can Haussler win a GT? - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 04-05-09, 20:33
Administrator

Default Can Haussler win a GT?

There is no doubt this guy has been a revelation. He has had moments in the past but nothing like the consistent performances of the last few weeks. How far can this guy go? Is he a future contender for one of the big stage races? Or will he be the kind of rider that is better suited to the Classics? I guess the question for this year is how long can he sustain this level of form?
Old 04-06-09, 01:13

After this spring you would think the classics are for him, as far as stage races not too sure about a GT, but some smaller races could suit, but definately the revelation of the season so far.
Old 04-06-09, 01:36

Dude, he's a sprinter... don't you remember what happened to the last ex-sprinter to be proposed as a Tour Contender? (psst... Hincapie)

Lets just say he'll be favored to win some GT Sprint stages.
Old 04-06-09, 05:54

ElChingon, you should read up on your cycling history, ever heard of Jalbert or Kelly ? Both were great sprinters who went onto win grand tours.

Haussler is the business, he's done the work, lost a lot of weight and as he learns to believe in his own abilities he'll continue to win bigger & bigger races.
Old 04-06-09, 09:06

Send a message via MSN to Dekker_Tifosi

Those where other times. If you know what I mean.

Haussler is a sprinter who can go far in classics and win sprint stages in grand tours. He is by all means not a climber and never will be.
Old 04-06-09, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftyfour eleven View Post
ElChingon, you should read up on your cycling history, ever heard of Jalbert or Kelly ? Both were great sprinters who went onto win grand tours.

Haussler is the business, he's done the work, lost a lot of weight and as he learns to believe in his own abilities he'll continue to win bigger & bigger races.
Jalabert and Kelly were good time trialists. Haussler hasn't shown he can be good against the clock yet.
Old 04-06-09, 09:40
Editor-in-chief

If he aimed for it, I don't see any reason for why he shouldn't be able to be a GT rider. However it seems unlikely. Why should he waste three, four or five seasons to become a worldclass climber and/or TT'er, when he's doing so well in his current enviroment?

Of the unlikely to win a GT, I rate Cancellara higher to make the shift.
Old 04-06-09, 10:42
Editor-in-chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekker_Tifosi View Post
Those where other times. If you know what I mean.

Haussler is a sprinter who can go far in classics and win sprint stages in grand tours. He is by all means not a climber and never will be.
He could well be a kind of sprinter that can hold in the smaller climbs and win intermediate stages anyway, I would say...
Old 04-06-09, 12:43

Send a message via Skype™ to bikingbadger
Default Passion for it

No doubt that he has found the knack for knowing when to go and not being afraid of atacking. These are important if you want to win the GC but I need to agree with brun sweater, to make the change takes asome serious effort and if he has finally found the winning sombo to win in the Classics, or come close then I reckon not only will he stick to his guns but his team will want him to do the same.
Old 04-06-09, 14:07

Why is it everyone makes any kind of a breathrough, people automatically start talking about their GC potential? Fookin' idiotic.

Happened with Boonen, happened last year with Devolder, etc.

Hausler will NEVER contend for the GC in any grand tour. Period.