Worlds ITT - Who will win it? - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who will win?
Cancellara 64 86.49%
Someone else... 10 13.51%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-09, 15:59

Default Worlds ITT - Who will win it?

Getting mixed messages about how hard it will be.

Looks like up and down all the time, but how hard are the climbs?

There seems to be just one favorite and the rest are believed to ride for second place.
Your thoughts?
Old 09-19-09, 16:12

I think Canc would have to have a really bad day to lose it. He has proven he can win on hilly courses (Monoco ITT and TdSuisse ITT this year) and flat courses.
Old 09-19-09, 16:19
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Bala Verde Send a message via Skype™ to Bala Verde

There seems to be only one 'real climb', and from the image you posted, it appears to be 500/750/1000m long rising from 300m-360m.

That entails a gradient of 12%, 8%, 6%.

If it's the first (12%), I doubt Cancelara will lose too much time he can't make up for (since it's only 500m). If it's 8% or 6%, he can certainly deal with that, as cobber said, he showed that in TdS etc.

Which other rivals are a great deal better on a hilly ITT parcours anyway?
Old 09-19-09, 16:23

Don't forget the Beijing TT last year,that was a hilly one.
Anyway,as said before,we should discuss here who's going to take silver and bronze,because FC is able to win it even if he's not in top form.
I'm guessing Gustav Larsson and David Millar should be good picks.
Looking forward to see how Tom Zirbel will perform.
Old 09-19-09, 16:25

Send a message via MSN to ingsve Send a message via Skype™ to ingsve

I think most can agree that Cancellara will win so the question then becomes, what riders will take the other medals?

haven't seen a complete list of what riders will riding the TT so does anyone know who the main medal candidates are?

I know that Gustav Larsson is focusing on the race and is hoping to repeat his medal from last years olympics. Also I know the norwegians are hoping that EBH will do a good race in the TT.

Who else will be there? Millar? Zabriskie?

Edit: Beaten to the question by 2 minutes
Old 09-19-09, 16:41

The Americans are coming with Tommy D and Tommy Z for the TT.
Maybe Tony Martin could clock a good time.
I see the Kazakhs are betting on Vino and Kash,but i only see AV doing a decent ride.
Old 09-19-09, 16:55

Cancellara will win.Anyway, my fav is Bradley Wiggins.
Old 09-19-09, 17:10

Kind of strange that nobody mentions the reigning champ, Bert Grabsch, isn't it? I mean, not for the top spot, but among top three? I believe he'll beat Zabriskie.
Old 09-19-09, 17:22

I can't really see anyone other than Sparticus winning, unless he is ill, crashes in training or has similar bad luck but I'll be over the moon if Millar and/or Wiggo can get on the podium. A top ten for both is certainly believable.

Team GB's best hope for medals comes from the women though, in both the TT (Pooley) and Road Race (Cooke, Pooley, Armitstead). There could well be two rainbow jerseys on British shoulders next year, but they won't be male shoulders.

I thought I read a few days ago that Dave Z hadn't been included in the US team?
Old 09-19-09, 17:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley A View Post

I thought I read a few days ago that Dave Z hadn't been included in the US team?
Unfortunately, you are correct. DZ withdrew from the team:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dani...s-worlds-squad

It seems to me that this is Spartacus' race to lose... not only is he (arguably?) the best individual time trialer of recent years, but he has home field advantage. I think a more interesting question than whether or not he's going to win the ITT is whether or not he can also win the road race (wouldn't that be something?!?). Then again, considering the road course, and Fabu's climbing ability, I think that prospect is probably out the door...

Of course, the other favorites have already been mentioned: Larsson, Millar, Wiggins, Grabsch.

BTW, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Svein Tuft of Canada. He's a relatively strong time trialer, and did he not come in second last year?

–Desmond Tutu