Free form/Chaos Thread - Page 845 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 03-09-12, 23:19

Dude, you]re screwed either way: "LSD should be considered for alcoholism treatment, study says"
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_1...ctionContent.8
Old 03-09-12, 23:39

What is going on with the world?
http://news.yahoo.com/entire-pacific...044612426.html

Krebs where are you? this forum needs you
Old 03-10-12, 04:06

Old 03-10-12, 15:08

Google>krebs303 suitcase
Old 03-11-12, 04:52

Old 03-15-12, 12:50

Spent 5 days in Eastham,Mass on Cape Cod. The weather was pretty good.walked on empty beautiful beaches. Most of the local places are still closed for the winter,but the Wicked Lobster had food and drink that was really good.
The riding there is easy w cars giving you lots of room and signs all over about sharing the road which most drivers appear to follow.

If anybody knows of any races in the area please post them. If there are any bike races on Cape Cod I would like to do them this year
Old 03-15-12, 17:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatandfast View Post
Spent 5 days in Eastham,Mass on Cape Cod. The weather was pretty good.walked on empty beautiful beaches. Most of the local places are still closed for the winter,but the Wicked Lobster had food and drink that was really good.
The riding there is easy w cars giving you lots of room and signs all over about sharing the road which most drivers appear to follow.

If anybody knows of any races in the area please post them. If there are any bike races on Cape Cod I would like to do them this year
The problem with Cape Cod in the summer is the same with any highly congested tourist-heavy summer vacation spot: lots and lots of cars jamming up the few roads. There aren't any bike races there, because it's impossible to close down any of the roads--it would result in a nightmare of backed up traffic, which is already a nightmare of backed up traffic. I know this because I lived on the Cape (in Truro) for a few years. Once you get past Orleans, heading to the outer Cape, you have Route 6, 6A, and a few small roads which lead between them. Above Orleans (Eastham, Hyannis, etc.), there are more roads, but also a higher population density. Good luck getting anyone to shut down any stretch of pavement for an afternoon or morning. The only bike event that regularly comes through the Cape is the Pan Mass Challenge (known locally as the PMS Challenge), a two day anti-cancer charity ride which starts in central Mass and goes to Provincetown. It's been going on for a few decades and thousands of riders participate. Trying to drive anywhere on that day is a nightmare (or bike anywhere--by the time the riders reach the last part of their slog, most of them are so spent and unused to being on a bike for anything resembling that length of time that they're swerving all over the road like drunk headless chickens. It's fun to go to one of the few hill they have to climb near the end and watch the looks of pure misery and blank suffering--it gives you some idea of what the troops in the trenches of WWI must have looked like the day before armistice. But I digress).

You're right though--in the off season, in Spring and Fall, the Cape is a great place to ride a bike, if you don't mind having to ride the same roads over and over.

I forgot: back when I started racing in the 80s, the long-standing season opener was a race in Plymouth, in the state park on a closed loop. But I think that race was canceled years ago. There might be some races just off the Cape, right before the bridge. And there's always the training crit in Hingham, which is sort of between Boston and the canal.

Last edited by Wallace; 03-15-12 at 17:42. Reason: Forgot Something
Old 03-15-12, 20:22

The Myles Standish State Park Race is still on. Check Bikereg in the middle of April. There are plenty of races in New England, which is very small compared to where ever you came from.
Old 03-15-12, 21:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobuck View Post
The Myles Standish State Park Race is still on. Check Bikereg in the middle of April. There are plenty of races in New England, which is very small compared to where ever you came from.
It's good to know Myles Standish is still on. That was the first race I ever did--back in 1984 I do believe. A great course. The last race I ever did was also in New England, the Stowe Road Race. I didn't say NE is small, but the Cape--yes, that is a small place indeed.
Old 03-16-12, 00:56