Hockey - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 11-18-09, 18:07
Super Moderator

Default Hockey

Hockey perspective from a Minnesotan:

I'd like to get into predictions, but it's way too early in the season for me.

Having grown up in the state that produces more hockey players than any other in the US, has arguably the best fan base, and best rink in the NHL in the Xcel Energy Center, I'm at a total loss why the Wild cannot produce a better team than 4th worst in the league this season.

I was a North Stars Fan instantly as a kid, and I'd like to imagine that had the cycling bug not caught me at such a young age, I would've made a fine hockey player. But all wishful thinking aside, is it too much to ask that "the State of Hockey" produce a cup challenging team? We had glimmers of hope from '06-'08, but clearly not any rosters that are cup worthy.

Backstrom looks like he's moving in slow motion compared to the last 2 seasons, Havlat can't score, Boogie and Scott are good for a rumble, but that doesn't win games, neither does a hit leader in Cal "buttercup" Clutterbuck. Sykora and Bouchard are injured. And then there's Mikko Koivu, Capitan and best player for the last couple years, but I've never seen someone work so hard and get nothing done. The rest are mediocre at best that only have slight moments of glory.

Parting words from the end of the North Stars era, hopefully never repeated again: "When [Norm Green] came here, he said, 'Only an idiot could lose money on hockey in Minnesota.' Well, I guess he proved that point."

Last edited by RDV4ROUBAIX; 11-18-09 at 18:12.
Old 11-18-09, 18:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDV4ROUBAIX View Post
Having grown up in the state that produces more hockey players than any other in the US, has arguably the best fan base, and best rink in the NHL in the Xcel Energy Center, I'm at a total loss why the Wild cannot produce a better team than 4th worst in the league this season.
The Toronto Maple Leafs are the most valuable team in the NHL. But look at their performance in the ice - last in the Northeastern League with only three wins from 19 games. I understand why the Leafs are so rich, but cannot understand why this does not translate into more success on the ice. (But I am glad they suck!)
Old 11-18-09, 21:25
dimspace

HOCKEY

ICE SKATING
Old 11-18-09, 21:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimspace View Post

GIRLS HOCKEY

BOYS HOCKEY
I fixed!
That's how it was at my high school in western New York state anyway.

Proud member of the Clinic 1200
Old 11-18-09, 22:31

i agree with IK about the pens winning it all...not only are they defending champions but the majority of their nucleus is still crazy young...crosby, malkin, staal and MA fleury are all a year wiser

random predictions that i dont want anyone to hold me too:

Eastern Conference Finals: Penguins over Capitals in 7, Crosby outduels Ovechkin
Western Conference Finals: Sharks over Avalanche in 5
Stanley Cup Finals: Penguins over Sharks in 6, American media realizes that Malkin is a better player than Crosby, but Crosby is still a better leader
Old 11-19-09, 15:58

where are the devils in this conversation? NJ DEVILS RULE!!!
Old 11-19-09, 16:17

RDV, I think 3 things are plaguing the Wild this year. One is adapting to a system change after 9 years of Lemaire's tight defensive style, another is the loss of Gaborik, who when healthy is a genuine superstar, and the third is that their lineup just ain't that good. Not too many guys who can put the puck in the net. Every coach wants M. Koivu on his team, but that's more due to his leadership skills than his hands. I like Backstrom and Harding, you will probably be fine in net when they get their game straight. That's my 10 cent analysis of your team. The problem with being mediocre is you don't make the playoffs but you can't get a top draft pick either. If it's any consolation, their new 3rd jerseys are one of the best in the game. Good to hear the Xcel Center is a good rink, next time I'm in MB I'll slip across the border to catch a game.

Elapid, I don't know what the Leafs problems are, probably too numerous to list, but I hope they continue!
Old 11-19-09, 16:21
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNJDevil View Post
where are the devils in this conversation? NJ DEVILS RULE!!!
You guys play play Smashville tonight. Minnesota boy Zach Parise on your Devils, you've got good help, but don't underestimate them either, they're better than their middle of the pack standings would suggest, especially at home. Plus they've got a mini win streak going.

Wild lost at home to Phoenix last night, no surprises there.

Last edited by RDV4ROUBAIX; 11-19-09 at 16:23.
Old 11-19-09, 16:35
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedaling squares View Post
RDV, I think 3 things are plaguing the Wild this year. One is adapting to a system change after 9 years of Lemaire's tight defensive style, another is the loss of Gaborik, who when healthy is a genuine superstar, and the third is that their lineup just ain't that good. Not too many guys who can put the puck in the net. Every coach wants M. Koivu on his team, but that's more due to his leadership skills than his hands. I like Backstrom and Harding, you will probably be fine in net when they get their game straight. That's my 10 cent analysis of your team. The problem with being mediocre is you don't make the playoffs but you can't get a top draft pick either. If it's any consolation, their new 3rd jerseys are one of the best in the game. Good to hear the Xcel Center is a good rink, next time I'm in MB I'll slip across the border to catch a game.
We're losing patience quickly here with Todd Richards style of hockey. We lost a cup winning legendary coach to this jank doughboy who never was pro.

And that's just it, during the time we had Gaborik he was always injured, and the Wild put waaaaaaaay too much stock in him, the team was built around him and he was not playing half the time. But you're right, when he's on, he's one of the best. Remember what he did to the Rangers before the move there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzSpo4F550w

Last edited by RDV4ROUBAIX; 11-19-09 at 17:17.
Old 11-21-09, 03:38
Super Moderator

Jeez, finally! Wild 3 - Islanders 2

37 year old Owen Nolan (2 goals) wins the game for the Wild in the final minute of play.