Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 05-18-10, 08:57

Hmm... Denmark is in the quarter-finals at the WC... that is just odd!!
It was odd when they moved from the first group to the second...
Old 05-26-10, 09:03

Hawks - Flyers Stanley Cup Final. I did want the Habs to make it, but sadly the franchise with a reputation for passing off troglodytes as a bunch of hockey players beat the Habs.

Hawks should win this. It's been 49 years since they last won. The Bill Wirtz years of not giving a crap about the team really hurt the team in the 90s and most of the 00s.
Old 05-26-10, 15:43
Super Moderator

I bet Marty Havlat is kicking himself for not staying in Chicago. Can't remember if he was released or came to MN on his own. Probably making more money anyway. But still, I'd take a pay cut to have a chance at the CUP.
Old 05-26-10, 15:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by trompe le monde View Post
Hawks - Flyers Stanley Cup Final. I did want the Habs to make it, but sadly the franchise with a reputation for passing off troglodytes as a bunch of hockey players beat the Habs.

Hawks should win this. It's been 49 years since they last won. The Bill Wirtz years of not giving a crap about the team really hurt the team in the 90s and most of the 00s.
I'm with you on the Flyers...can't stand Carcillo or Ashen...but as a rabid Canes fan, I am happy for Laviolette (sp) and Leighten! I also don't mind Hartnell...

But agree all around...Flyers will get manhandled by the Hawks!! I don't predict a good series...
Old 05-26-10, 16:26

More cheap shots at the Flyers, I love it. I honestly hope its just a good finals. When the Flyers got swept in 97 by Detroit without putting up much of a fight it was embarassing. I think the Blackhawks have the edge talent wise but not by the margins many experts would like you to belive. In addition to the troglodites the Flyers have their own pool of very talented players.
Old 06-05-10, 16:21

I've lost interest in hockey in recent years. Despite the attempt to tighten up the officiating, the meatheads own this game, it's still all about who's the toughest. What really gets me is all the talk about how this is "good, old-school hockey". During the lockout a few years ago, CBC was showing old classic games from as far back as the late 50's. There was a tiny fraction of the hitting and holding that you see now. Absolutely none of this "finishing your checks" crap. Classless little scumbags like Carcillo wouldn't have made it past junior hockey. And no annoying scrums after every single whistle. I get a laugh how every once in a while the players forget their systems and just play. You can see the coaches freaking out. "Hey Guys, you were threatening to be entertaining there. Now shut it down, dump the puck in, cycle it endlessly and suck the life out of a once great sport." Oh, and RDV, I assume you're a Wild fan. Do people in Minny miss the old Northstars? Great jerseys and a goalie with one of the great names in sports history. Cesar Maniago!
Old 06-06-10, 10:47
brewerjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinoni View Post
I've lost interest in hockey in recent years. Despite the attempt to tighten up the officiating, the meatheads own this game, it's still all about who's the toughest. What really gets me is all the talk about how this is "good, old-school hockey". During the lockout a few years ago, CBC was showing old classic games from as far back as the late 50's. There was a tiny fraction of the hitting and holding that you see now. Absolutely none of this "finishing your checks" crap. Classless little scumbags like Carcillo wouldn't have made it past junior hockey. And no annoying scrums after every single whistle. I get a laugh how every once in a while the players forget their systems and just play. You can see the coaches freaking out. "Hey Guys, you were threatening to be entertaining there. Now shut it down, dump the puck in, cycle it endlessly and suck the life out of a once great sport." Oh, and RDV, I assume you're a Wild fan. Do people in Minny miss the old Northstars? Great jerseys and a goalie with one of the great names in sports history. Cesar Maniago!
Amen. I used to love the sport until it morphed into Pro Wrestling on ice, with sticks. Remember the old joke, "I went to a (add sport of choice) football gave last night. It got so violent a hockey grame broke out!"
Old 06-06-10, 16:09
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinoni View Post
Oh, and RDV, I assume you're a Wild fan. Do people in Minny miss the old Northstars? Great jerseys and a goalie with one of the great names in sports history. Cesar Maniago!
Yeah, we miss the Stars. Dino Ciccarelli moved up the street from me in when he started with the North Stars in the early 80's. I think he eventually got asked to leave the neighborhood because there were some complaints about him picking up his morning paper with his robe wide open, also streaking in his back yard for all the neighbors to see.

The most famous quote when the Stars departed from here;

"When [Norm Green] came here, he said, 'Only an idiot could lose money on hockey in Minnesota.' Well, I guess he proved that point."

As for the playoffs, and current hockey. Man, you guys are soft!!! If you think the "meatheads" rule the game now, which couldn't be further from the truth, take a look at some historical games from the 70's and you'll see that this era's violence is nothing compared to those days. The skill set of the players in this era is light years beyond those old times what you're talking about. As a spectator it's fun to watch, and I'm thoroughly enjoying these finals, thought the Hawks were going to sweep, but were all tied up.
Old 06-06-10, 17:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDV4ROUBAIX View Post

As for the playoffs, and current hockey. Man, you guys are soft!!! If you think the "meatheads" rule the game now, which couldn't be further from the truth, take a look at some historical games from the 70's and you'll see that this era's violence is nothing compared to those days. The skill set of the players in this era is light years beyond those old times what you're talking about. As a spectator it's fun to watch, and I'm thoroughly enjoying these finals, thought the Hawks were going to sweep, but were all tied up.
I respect your opinion but I do think the game, at least in the playoffs, is mostly about toughness and less about skill and creativity. I do like tough hockey, I am Canadian after all, but all I see is endless scrums, hits from behind, and guys going half the length of the ice to hit someone. If YOU take a look at some historical games from the 70's you'll see there wasn't nearly as much hitting from behind or going to ridiculous extremes to hit someone. Try finding a video of the '75 New Years eve game between Red Army and the Canadiens. Thats hockey the way it was meant to be played. There was a good reason for less hitting in that era: the shoulder and elbow pads in the 70's were awful. If a guy tried hitting someone the way you see it done today, he'd end up with a separated shoulder. For sure there was more fighting and stick work then but there was also more flow and excitement, less dump it in and cycle. You're right, the skill set today is vastly superior but then bike racers are fitter or at least better doped yet racing today often sucks.
One last thing, what I said about coaches freaking out when it gets exciting and toning it down, I've seen it happen and it stinks.
This, of course, is all just my opinion. I could just be full of s***.
Old 06-07-10, 03:49

I have to disagree with some opinions. Today's game is far more about skill and speed than it has ever been. As much as I loved watching the Habs in the 70's, that era was about beating your opponent half to death if you couldn't catch him. And those fabulously talented Russians? Incredible players but some of the dirtiest stick artists I've seen. The 80's were more about speed but nothing like today. 25 years ago a 225 lb d-man was a monster but he could hardly skate. Now some forwards are 245 lbs and skate like the wind. The 90's were about clutching and grabbing and defensive systems. Speed and ingenuity were coached out of fashion.

The reason IMO why we're seeing so many players taking huge runs and half killing their opponent these days is not because their mindset has changed. It's because when a forward dumps the puck in to the offensive zone, one d-man has to go back to get it but the other d-man is no longer allowed to hold up the oncoming forward. Without that interference the forward is on the d-man too quickly and the poor guy gets crushed. We have much bigger, much fitter, much better skating players with more advanced equipment playing inside the same 200' X 85' cage, with new rules allowing them more freedom to move. The end of the equation is inevitable.

But the game is not ruled by the tough guys. Have you seen any fights in the playoffs this year? Are any tough guys even in the lineups? Have you seen any brawls in the past 25 years? Except in basebrawl where they charge the mound and hug each other, and maybe *****slap a fat old manager. The game is ruled today by guys like Crosby, Datsyuk, Toews, Kane, Richards, Carter, Malkin, Ovechkin etc. Guys with incredible skill. Having said all that, I sure love watching Pronger play in the playoffs. So skilled, so smart, and so mean. Facing him would be a painful experience.

Last edited by pedaling squares; 06-07-10 at 03:52. Reason: spelling