UCI Discriminates against "smaller races" - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 04-28-09, 02:27
Editor-in-chief

Default UCI Discriminates against "smaller races"

What a bunch of crap. Astana at the Gila would have been great for the event and the UCI implements some lame *** rule. George Bush hates black people and the UCI hates smaller races. Can't we all just get along!!!!
Old 04-28-09, 02:31
Super Moderator

Old 04-28-09, 02:43
Editor-in-chief

that's funny as hell, but come on now.
Old 04-28-09, 03:02
Super Moderator

When you said that, this classic media image immediately popped into my head so I just had to post it. But, I'm with ya on the TDG.
Old 04-28-09, 03:05

Gila is not a ProTour race and the continental teams need to have their share of the pie. Any Conti team left out for a ProTour team is a loss for the local Conti teams. The ruling is fair and just, the race almost went bust and then they're going to give it to a ProTour team to win against the Conti teams, to take the money and run so to speak?

No they did the right thing.
Old 04-28-09, 03:06

Angry UCI vs. Tour of the Gila

Like the global economy, cycling is also in a recession. A week doesn't go by w/out some bad news. We're living (surviving) in extraordinary times and we NEED to stimulate cycling and the economy.

Article 2 of the UCI constitution states their purpose as: b) to promote cycling in all the countries of the world and at all levels. d) to encourage FRIENDSHIP between all members of the cycling world.

I hope the UCI reconsiders their decision. They've hurt cycling and our small community.

-Tour of the Gila
http://www.tourofthegila.com

"Bummed to not be doing the Tour of the Gila in New Mexico - A great American race. Raincheck? Please support this great event." -Lance Armstrong

[The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of SRAM or Tour of the Gila.]
Old 04-28-09, 03:28
Editor-in-chief

I have to disagree with you El Chingon. Cycling is popular in the US because of Lance. This race almost didn't make it this year because of the downturn in the global economy. Luckily, SRAM stepped in and saved it, but the presence of Lance and company would have been enormous to the community of Silver City. Who doesn't want to see a seven-time Tour winner race his bike in their event. Look at the Tour Down Under and the increased press coverage for that event. The UCI blew it on this one!
Old 04-28-09, 03:45

This is not as simple as just saying the UCI refused to let Astana race at Gila. How many teams/riders were refused entry to the race but somehow the Astana riders were allowed entry?

You mention economic problems for races - well what about the economic pressure being faced by teams? It really doesn't mean much for Leipheimer to race at Gila but it might mean a contract and money for a domestic rider.
Old 04-28-09, 03:57
Administrator

Slightly different tack but...

It's great that cycling is popular in the USA and it certainly has a lot to do with the Lance factor. The Lance thing is as much about him and his story as it is to do with cycling.

IMO it is a mistake for the UCI (or anyone else for that matter) to get too focussed on trying to appeal to a US fan base. I'll try to briefly explain my thinking...

I am not a big fan of national generalisations but the US sports market is so dominated (saturated) by their own Pro (and colleagic) sport scene there is not much space for anything else.

Look at soccer (football to most of the World!) the biggest sport on the planet and it barely has a foot hold in the States. Beckham came big fuss, Beckham left all gone quiet again! Sure loads of folks (particularly women and children) play soccer but it has little traction the 'market place' because of the domination of other sports. Likewise even more established sports like (ice) hockey can struggle to establish a new franchise. Same is true of Formula 1 trying to get a decent following out here.

If it were up to me I'd stick to getting and keeping the sport healthy just about everywhere else before I got into promoting cycling in the States (I would start in Germany )Sorry if this is not folks in the US want to hear but...to get things going in the market here (and it is a market more so than Europe or other parts of the globe) is v. expensive and the popular fan base is fickle.

I live in Vancouver BC (although originally from the UK) and cycling is hugely popular here much like the rest of the west coast of North America. I would love to see a race like ToC up here - maybe it could even be around the same time of year - it would be awesome. If it happens great but I wouldn't expect the UCI to go out of it's way to make it happen.

Last edited by 180mmCrank; 04-28-09 at 04:08.
Old 04-28-09, 04:01

To me the UCI has shifted their direction with this move. Its a revealing decision.