How The Pro's Defeat The Anti Doping System - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 01-08-10, 07:32

Exclamation How The Pro's Defeat The Anti Doping System

Read away at my new blog post. LINK.

Much courtesy to Joe Papp. I hope this will be a step in educating the "masses". Comments, questions and other insights are welcome at the blog. If you know any more "escape tactics" that will be keeping in line with the subject of the post, please add it as a comment below the post. That will be doing your part to, well, consider it a mission to educate.
Old 01-08-10, 09:15

Nice work cozy. Love your stuff.
Old 01-08-10, 09:50

Talking Ta

Great post.

For some reason I kept thinking of Withnail & I while reading it
Old 01-08-10, 15:32

Well, Withnail & I is a great movie...

Good read.

Look, the game is ALWAYS the same: how to get away with it. As long as you have willing participants, they will take their chances for a better outcome than if they simply play by the rules.

The mentality hasn't changed either:

1) The rules are for everyone else.

2) I'll only do it when I need to.

3) It's not like I'm hurting anyone else.

Cycling cheats are no different than addicts. Denial is their only friend.
Old 01-08-10, 15:48

Thanks for the comments so far, like I said Joe helped write most of it and I played a small part in bringing it out to the public.

There was an interesting comment for the post in my email today. It went like this :

Quote:
"Great article. And Geologyjoe, with the article's final reference to fraud and embezzlement, I've been thinking of the economic flowchart behind a winner's paycheck. Isn't money from the pockets of spectators going into that big pie or am I wrong? (Ive not been to a watch a major pro race) If the public is paying for the doping 'circus' in town, and if they don't mind drug fueled entertainment, so be it. But from the majority of people talking against it, there must be a sign of morality in there somewhere. People have been disturbed with this in cycling for a long time."
I can't answer this comprehensively enough. What factors are exactly contributing to a winner's paycheck apart from sponsors payout and such? Is there a slice of public money in there from ticket sales and so on? (I'm thinking of a track race where people buy tickets to get into the velodrome but I also can't see how it is "free" for someone to stand at the barriers near the finish line of say the Tour de France? How much do you have to pay to get that privilege?
Old 01-08-10, 16:06

Thanks for the post Cozy Beehive, sadly i cant access the link at work as its denied. My laptop is on the blink at home also. Is there any chance you could send on the text by pm to me if possible? I would really be interested in reading the article.

Many thanks,

Kerbdog.
Old 01-08-10, 16:26

Default Alternative sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbdog View Post
Thanks for the post Cozy Beehive, sadly i cant access the link at work as its denied. My laptop is on the blink at home also. Is there any chance you could send on the text by pm to me if possible? I would really be interested in reading the article.

Many thanks,

Kerbdog.
1. Individual I know uploaded the article on Scribd which can be accessed here. You can also download it. http://www.scribd.com/doc/24951496/H...Doping-Control

2. You can read my feed if just the blog site is blocked. http://feeds.feedburner.com/blogspot/CB

3. You can read my blog on your cell phone. This site explains how to send it to your cell phone. Just put in your phone number in the space provided. http://cbmobile.mofuse.mobi/

I'm not recommending you violate office IT rules or anything, ofcourse

Last edited by Cozy Beehive; 01-08-10 at 16:40.
Old 01-08-10, 18:13
Hibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy Beehive View Post
Thanks for the comments so far, like I said Joe helped write most of it and I played a small part in bringing it out to the public.

There was an interesting comment for the post in my email today. It went like this :

I can't answer this comprehensively enough. What factors are exactly contributing to a winner's paycheck apart from sponsors payout and such? Is there a slice of public money in there from ticket sales and so on? (I'm thinking of a track race where people buy tickets to get into the velodrome but I also can't see how it is "free" for someone to stand at the barriers near the finish line of say the Tour de France? How much do you have to pay to get that privilege?
Surely most of it comes from fans' pockets.

Salaries: From company sponsors. Sponsors who make their money from the public and only do it for advertising, which must generate more income otherwise they wouldn't do it. Also from merchandising. Again, public money.

Prize money: I would assume again from the sponsors, which are companies etc, and from merchandising, as above.

Maybe there are some rich benefactors out there, but I doubt it. Of course, LA is one. His "donations" to the UCI must be being distributed somewhere.

Maybe the link between doping and public money should be highlighted more. Then maybe there'll be less of the public ignoring it.
Old 01-08-10, 18:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosa View Post
Well, Withnail & I is a great movie...

Good read.

Look, the game is ALWAYS the same: how to get away with it. As long as you have willing participants, they will take their chances for a better outcome than if they simply play by the rules.

The mentality hasn't changed either:

1) The rules are for everyone else.

2) I'll only do it when I need to.

3) It's not like I'm hurting anyone else.

Cycling cheats are no different than addicts. Denial is their only friend.
Not less than a few of them dont experience denial.
Old 01-08-10, 18:46
Thoughtforfood

Great stuff Cozy, keep up the good work!