Total Hip Replacement recovery - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Form & Fitness > General

Old 02-05-10, 00:41

Default Total Hip Replacement recovery

I may have a THR operation, possibly on both hip joints. Does anyone have experience with this? How long does it take to get back into action on the bike? What can you do and not do after an operation?

April 30, 2010 [added after going through the surgery and recovery] There is good advice from forumites following this post. I had my left hip replaced and will probably have the right done in the future (when it gets painful). After my operation, I decided to detail what happened to me as I recovered. That is why this thread is so long. If you're curious, or anticipating a total hip replacement, what follows is my experience. I hope you're experience is as good or better than mine. Good luck!

Last edited by daviel; 04-30-10 at 12:55. Reason: explain the thread...
Old 02-05-10, 01:16

I have much experience rehabbing patients following hip replacement surgery. I'm happy to help.

First, it is important to note that there are two types of surgery used for a THR. One utilizes a posterior incision, the other an anterior. The recovery following a posterior incision THR is significantly longer dur to the fact that there is more soft tissue (muscle) which needs to be cut in order to insert the artificial joint. If possible, elect for the anterior incision surgery.

Recovery for either operation usually includes the use of a stationary bicycle in the physical therapy office. You should be able to expect a complete recovery of your cycling abilities. It's reasonable to expect your cycling will improve since your hip joints will function better.

Be certain to follow your doctor's orders regarding recovery and returning to training.

Best wishes,

Dr. Suro
Old 02-05-10, 03:03

A friend of mine had his second (after 11 years the adhesive deteriorated) in late December and was back on the bike in late Spring. The next year he had the other hip done and the same story. This was 3 or 4 years ago.

Recovery was to first get range of motion back and then strength. Usual PT was flection, extension and stationary bike. When he had good range they started him on weights or using bands.

He's a guy training for Paris-Brest-Paris so he gets tons of miles in and does rides of 550km on two weekends each of the summers. Total mileage of over 5,000 miles.
Old 02-05-10, 07:12

Is that a total hip replacement, or a total hip resurfacing - a' la Floyd Landis?

As a 48-year old triathlete I had a total hip resurfacing 11 months ago in a posterior procedure with the same kind of appliance (BHR) as Floyd. I was back on my road bike within 6 weeks, and riding over 100 miles/week within three months. I have no pain, full ROM, and can do my carpentry work with ease.

I helped myself by going into the procedure with a good fitness level, but the best thing I did was to work with a gifted practitioner of Chinese herbal medicine and acupuncture prior to and immediately following the surgery. Thanks to her treatments I healed up in less than half the normal time, and had no need for the Percocet (pain meds) prescibed me by the surgeon.

Check out the Yahoo group "surfacehippy" for accounts from other hip resurfacing patients.
Old 02-05-10, 14:25

I'll know for sure next Thursday, but I anticipate replacement, not resurfacing. The x-rays show avascular necrosis in both hips. Now I know about that 'pulled muscle' that lasted so long, and why it was so hard to dismount from the bike. I'm 66. I want to get back to work, back on the bike, back to the pool and the gym asap! Thanks for the advice and information.
Old 02-05-10, 15:22

First off, best of luck with your surgery. I hope you're out enjoying the bike and the wind in your face as soon as possible.

Second, how long before this thread winds up in the clinic? I'm setting the over-under at five more posts.
Old 02-07-10, 00:49

Default recovery time

I went through a total knee replacement November 10, 2009. They built my knee out of cobalt, titanium and plastic. I worked very hard up to the surgery so I was a strong as possible the day of surgery. I know it is a different surgery, but there are many similarities. I worked very hard at rehab and was back on the bike, on my trainer, 7 weeks after surgery. I was able to compete in and complete my first race 10 weeks and 5 days after surgery. I was not very competitive, but it felt great to be out riding in the race. Hope this helps out!
Doug
Old 02-11-10, 22:17

I will have the left hip joint replaced on March 22nd. The right one is not giving me any trouble, so I'll wait on it. The Dr said he doesn't do surgery on x-rays. Rehabbing one is enough. Thanks for the advice and info! I'll need more expert advice as I gear up for the spring. I plan to work that new appliance to the limit!

Last edited by daviel; 02-12-10 at 20:12. Reason: spring
Old 02-13-10, 05:23
Editor-in-chief

I have had both hips birmingham resurfaced and I am 46, both wore out from a lot of big running miles. I got into track cycling because I couldnt run anymore and have been doing weights and about 300km a week and consistent racing and have had no problems. Just take your time coming back and allow full surgical healing and the chance for the bones to get strong again after the trauma of major surgery.
Old 02-22-10, 23:34

Unhappy

Good luck on your surgery,take it easy coming back,don't hurt yourself coming back too fast.
I just had hernial surgery,been off the bike 8 days.I am already experiencing severe gymitus withdrawal symptoms.