Official thread: Giro d'Italia - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 05-01-09, 07:11
Australian Editor

Default Official thread: Giro d'Italia

Hey guys,

The Grand Tour riders kick into gear in a week's time with the Giro d'Italia. So it's time to share your thoughts on this year's course and the likely protagonists here.

So, who will it be? Ivan Basso? Lance Armstrong? Someone random? And where will it be won?

I'm not guessing any of these things - but I'm sure looking forward to this year's race!

Cheers
Greg Johnson
Old 05-01-09, 07:25

I'm hugely looking forward to it too.

They've done a great job with this year's route. A team time trial to start (Garmin to win that!), a summit finish on stage four (?!), the Milan city centre stage and then the one I'm most looking forward to....... Blockhaus. Should be cracking stuff.

I'm completely undecided so far on who will win...... I will come back on that in a few days with a prediction, no doubt a rubbish one.
Old 05-01-09, 08:41

As usual, I'll probably end up being very wrong but I have a feeling that Cunego is back. Would like to see him win too.
Old 05-01-09, 09:53

This is my prediction:

1. Lance Armstrong
2. Ivan Basso
3. Damiano Cunego
4. Carlos Sastre
5. Denis Menchov
6. Levi Leipheimer
7. Gilberto Simoni
8. Danilo Di Luca
9. Marzio Bruseghin
10. Franco Pellizotti

I've forgotten anyone?

Last edited by Greg Johnson; 05-05-09 at 01:39.
Old 05-01-09, 11:18

Quite a few.
Since we haven't yet got a full start list, it is hard to say who they may be.
I would expect Joachim Rodriguez to figure and maybe JvDB, if he is riding again, this year.

There will be some surprises, but the biggest one for me would be your prediction.
There is no way Armstrong should even figure in the top half a dozen, given his lack of preparation.
Two "training" events and an amateur bash is not going to set anyone up for the high mountains which will hit home almost as soon as the race begins.

That's just a "pipe dream". Most likely, he will abandon, in favour of the Tour, after a couple of weeks.

If he wins this, then Ferrari will have found a new fuel, for millionaires only.
Old 05-01-09, 11:59

Send a message via MSN to ingsve Send a message via Skype™ to ingsve

I'm very interested in seeing what Thomas Lövkvist can do. Is this perhaps his chance to show he can last an entire 3 week tour? Last year Gustav Larsson finished 14th in the Giro and throughout their careers lövkvist has been the bigger talent in my mind. He just need to grow into the role and perhaps that is now.
Old 05-01-09, 12:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Velo View Post
Quite a few.
Since we haven't yet got a full start list, it is hard to say who they may be.
I would expect Joachim Rodriguez to figure and maybe JvDB, if he is riding again, this year.

There will be some surprises, but the biggest one for me would be your prediction.
There is no way Armstrong should even figure in the top half a dozen, given his lack of preparation.
Two "training" events and an amateur bash is not going to set anyone up for the high mountains which will hit home almost as soon as the race begins.

That's just a "pipe dream". Most likely, he will abandon, in favour of the Tour, after a couple of weeks.

If he wins this, then Ferrari will have found a new fuel, for millionaires only.
Let me tell you are underestimating who I think be the best rider for stage-race ever in the history after Marco Pantani...
Lance needn't to race in order to go in shape for a Grand Tour, he knows better than any other how to train in the month prior the main event. Certainly his injunry has not been scheduled before... but all in all he has lost only 4 days; 2 days after the crash he underwent on surgey and just only 2 days later he has started again to train on his home bike.
I'm sure he will suffer a bit on the Dolomites but if the opposing will not capitalize on the situation it will be hard for them when sure in TT lance will be the best by far...

Old 05-01-09, 12:49

My bet's on Leipheimer, especially since it's becoming more and more clear that he's the main man for GC within the Astana equipe. With Armstrong, Brajkovic, Horner and Popovych in support, he should be able to limit his uphill losses (if any) and strike in both timetrials. Basso and Menchov could be on the podium as well, Sastre and the other lot of Italians (Di Luca, Simoni, Cunego, Garzelli,...) will barely make top 10 I think, only Pellizotti could be a real contender for the top 3, but it will all depend on the work he'll have to do for Basso. I'd love to see Bruseghin repeat last years performance, but I'm afraid the climbs this year are a bit too steep for him. And he'll probably have to work for Cunego. The biggest question mark would be Michael Rogers: how is his form, how is his focus towards this Giro? If he puts his mind on it and he finds his old form back, he could be a surprising outsider for the GC, no?

Of course, it still remains to be seen who this years Sella and Ricco will be
Old 05-01-09, 12:50

1. Leipheimer
2. Basso
3. Cunego
4. Sastre
5. Armstrong (big maybe on this one, most likely he just cracks the top 10)

(HM: Lokvist, Menchov)
Old 05-01-09, 12:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingsve View Post
I'm very interested in seeing what Thomas Lövkvist can do. Is this perhaps his chance to show he can last an entire 3 week tour? Last year Gustav Larsson finished 14th in the Giro and throughout their careers lövkvist has been the bigger talent in my mind. He just need to grow into the role and perhaps that is now.
Yes.. I think Thomas Lovkvist could be the biggest surprise of the Giro as well