Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 05-24-09, 05:13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer111 View Post
...oes anybody but me suspect that L'Equipe is about as credible as brodeal baffoon?
no really, what about the credibility of the source.
L'Equipe is actually a respected and credible source. It's only Lance and his PR machine that's done a very good job of smearing L'Equipe in the court of public opinion, especially in the US, in order to deflect from the accuracy of the accusations against Lance and his 1999 samples (and his secret connections to Dr. Ferrari, 1999 cortisone "skin cream", and other stories), and inoculate himself from further criticism. Every claim L'Equipe made was substantiated by Michael Ashenden and his group's study, and Ashenden himself pointed out how the so called "leak" to L'Equipe of the data happened, which was by no covert, or illegal activity at all.

Virtually everything L'Equipe has reported on has been shown to have been a fact. Lance and Johan on the other hand are the ones using subterfuge, lies, and would like to have all media silenced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180mmCrank View Post
You could be right - and attack might end up being the best form of defense. What would happen if Menchov discarded the more modern wisdom of defending the Jersey and went a bit more old school and just put the hammer down on everyone?
I don't see him doing that unless he's really, really strong. He runs the risk of having too many people just follow him. And while you don't gain the same slipstream on climbs, it's still easier to follow than be out front. It's also not entirely his style to attack. Be that going to the front and setting a blistering pace like Basso, or by making sharp attacks like Di Luca. At least he hasn't done either in the past.
Old 05-24-09, 05:31
Administrator

Yep I think you're right which is why I think one of the other GT contenders with less to lose may well have a go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180mmCrank View Post
So here is what might work...let Liquigas force the pace, soften things up for Basso (or Pellizotti) and then use their launch pad to get the jump on everybody. If Menchov doesn't take the opportunity to do this then Di Luca will and I bet my house we see Sastre try an Alpe D'Huez style move later in the week.
Old 05-24-09, 07:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escarabajo View Post
I guess I was not that far off in my precidtion yesterday. At least the break away stayed clear. This is what we have for tomorrow:

1st climb at 52.1 km, 8 km length @ 5.41% gradient
2nd climb at 72.1 km, 6 km length @ 6.23% gradient
3rd climb at 100.2 km, 6.2 km length @ 3.74% gradient
4th climb at 107.9 km, 3 km length @ 8.56% gradient
5th climb at 125.8 km, 9.5 km length @ 4% gradient
6th climb at 135.1 km, 6 km length @ 6.7% gradient
Finish at 161 km.
The 5th climb, Monte Casale, is harder than that average grade. It was there where Simoni succesfully attacked in 2003. Profile.

As soon as the descent ends, you'll find the next climb, the Trebbio. The first 3 km are hard, but then it gets much easier till the end. Profile.
If you have a few seconds on top you might be able to keep them until the finish 26 km later.

From km 94 onwards there is not much flat until the last 10-15 km.
Old 05-24-09, 07:59

Quote:
does anybody but me suspect that L'Equipe is about as credible as brodeal baffoon?
no really, what about the credibility of the source.

What is certain that we now have two versions of "the truth".

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30686745/

The Catalunya Astana squad seem to be backing the Kazakh fed, if you accept L'Equipe as a credible source.
If not, you have the words of LA and JB and twitter as your credible source.
uuuummmm.
Old 05-24-09, 08:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escarabajo View Post

Listen, this is plain a simple: Break Away for tomorrow. This time I see Simoni and Cunego attacking. There is no way that these two guys will wait to the harder cimbs where they Know at this point they don't stand a chance against Menchov and company. Yes, times have changed. I don't like it but it is the reality. Whether they chase them or not I am not sure. If it is not them, it has to be somebody from the top twenty. They know that the best chance to scare Menchov is to make his team work. I forgot, he does not have a good team. There it is.
Cheers.
They have to, don't they. This is Coppi e Bartali country.
Simoni took pink, on this stage, in 2003, with bit of a strategic masterpiece.
Cunego likes the final climb and has won into Faenza.

After today, it's all about the real contenders, slugging it out on stages 16 and 17.

PVC has been strangely subdued, given their terrific form, right up until this race.
Time is running out, to save Gianni Savio's Giro, not to mention Lampre's....
Old 05-24-09, 11:11

After Cavendish not starting yesterday, today it was Tyler Farrar's turn.
Old 05-24-09, 16:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot23 View Post
"[B]

But I guess, throw him enough curveballs and he only has so many strikes.
I thought this was a cycling forum. As far as I am aware balls of any type are not involved in cycling. Not sure what this means.
Old 05-24-09, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Velo View Post
What is certain that we now have two versions of "the truth".

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30686745/

The Catalunya Astana squad seem to be backing the Kazakh fed, if you accept L'Equipe as a credible source.
If not, you have the words of LA and JB and twitter as your credible source.
uuuummmm.
Mellow, I'm done goofing off and respectfully apologize.

In regards to you following this issue are you suggesting that you see an attempt by JB and LA to split from Astana? My words not yours.

thanks
Old 05-24-09, 19:49
Administrator

Well, here we are, Stage 16, do or die time for a lot of riders, the so called "Queen Stage". The mountains aren't exactly huge, but the stage is long at 237k, and the toughest in the Giro. The Petrano climb will split the field like none other in this year's race. However, several riders if they want to try to win, are going to have to attack before that on the Catria, or maybe even the Nerone. For many riders, such as Basso, Leipheimer, or even Pelozotti or Sastre, they won't be able to sit until the last 5km up the Petrano and hope Menchov cracks. They must go earlier, and they must go all out. Levi has said he'd just as soon finish 10th than 2nd. As he showed zero aggression on stage 15, here's his big chance. He can't accelerate like DiLuca, but if he attacks at the right time, no one will immediately chase him down (think, Hinault). Oddly, the guy most likely to attack (other than Garzelli looking for KOM points) is DiLuca, who probably could wait until the Petrano climb. But we'll see. Here's the profile:

Old 05-24-09, 19:51

Quote:
di luca says "I have never once seen Leipheimer attack"

levi says ""Well, if he is only six seconds ahead of me in Rome, then I won't have to attack,"
Touche!

Mind you reading between the lines, Di Luca doesn't want Levi to attack, and Levi is saying "you bet ya I'm attacking!"

Anyway what I'd like to see...