International arrest warrant issued against Landis - Page 3 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 02-15-10, 17:25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicicleta View Post
Greg LeMond is having quite a month.
LeMon should make an offer to FLandis to help him out if he comes clean. LeMond could cover the inevitable legal expenses.
Old 02-15-10, 17:27

Floyd becomes Roman Polanski.
An International warrant, as opposed to a French one.
Anybody, (other than Polish) know how this works?

Out here now:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/inte...ndis-in-france

Last edited by Mellow Velo; 02-15-10 at 17:31.
Old 02-15-10, 17:36
Scott SoCal

Flandis a hacker?

Conspiracy perhaps as he likely knows who did hack, but Floyd??

I'd sure like to see the evidence the French Judge is looking at.
Old 02-15-10, 17:40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
Flandis a hacker?

Conspiracy perhaps as he likely knows who did hack, but Floyd??

I'd sure like to see the evidence the French Judge is looking at.
Dr. Arnie Baker hired a hacker to break into LNDD and steal documents. Baker then modified the documents and distributed them in an attempt to discredit the lab.

The French wanted FLandis to answer questions months ago. At that time the possibility of an arrest warrant was threatened. FLandis should have taken the opportunity to deal with the problem last year.
Old 02-15-10, 17:43
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Bala Verde Send a message via Skype™ to Bala Verde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Velo View Post
Floyd becomes Roman Polanski.
An International warrant, as opposed to a French one.
Anybody, (other than Polish) know how this works?
I believe that any country that has signed multi/bi-lateral treaties that regulate arrests, can, if they choose to, make an arrest when he is within their jurisdiction, and, after judicial review, choose to extradite him.

It wouldn't surprise me if the US doesn't do anything, and if they already make an arrest, he won't get extradited, because the charges are not serious enough to warrant extradition...

PS> the warrant could have been issued because he (and Baker?) refused to show up for trial after he was subpoenaed.
Old 02-15-10, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala Verde View Post
I believe that any country that has signed multi/bi-lateral treaties that regulate arrests, can, if they choose to, make an arrest when he is within their jurisdiction, and, after judicial review, choose to extradite him.

It wouldn't surprise me if the US doesn't do anything, and if they already make an arrest, he won't get extradited, because the charges are not serious enough to warrant extradition...

PS> the warrant could have been issued because he (and Baker?) refused to show up for trial after he was subpoenaed.
You are probably right that nothing will be done in the US. There is more than enough on our plates than to deal with this relatively low-level case. More than anything it pretty much means that Floyd won't be racing in any EU countries until he clears this up. Personally it sounds like he blew them off and now is going to reap the consequences.
Old 02-15-10, 17:48
Scott SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
Dr. Arnie Baker hired a hacker to break into LNDD and steal documents. Baker then modified the documents and distributed them in an attempt to discredit the lab.

The French wanted FLandis to answer questions months ago. At that time the possibility of an arrest warrant was threatened. FLandis should have taken the opportunity to deal with the problem last year.
Baker's a bit of a nut-case to be sure but if what you write is common knowledge then you'd think the French would have summoned him as well (or maybe they did but Baker's name does not create a headline).
Old 02-15-10, 17:58

I don't know if RR-Murcia offered him a one year contract and that he was holding out for two, but I'd guess he'd grab at a one year contract, now.

The warrant may not get enforced but it has effectively put an end to any European aspirations.
His career remains in the toilet.
Old 02-15-10, 18:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
Baker's a bit of a nut-case to be sure but if what you write is common knowledge then you'd think the French would have summoned him as well (or maybe they did but Baker's name does not create a headline).
They did summon Arnie when the original case was filed. You might be correct about his name not drawing headlines.
Old 02-15-10, 18:05

Default What a Mess

I still remember how the Landis camp hyped the hacking story. In my gut I suspected foul play. It didn't really seem realistic at the time though. But at this point it seems within the overall character of the defense to have done something like this.

Ugly stuff.