What's up with Simeoni ? - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 05-05-09, 00:42

Default What's up with Simeoni ?

I know he is the Italian champ, is this move, handing back the Italian Championship jersey, just a publicity stunt ?
Old 05-05-09, 02:00

When did that happen? Link?
Old 05-05-09, 02:42

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/feedarticle/8489249
Old 05-05-09, 02:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChingon View Post
When did that happen? Link?
today
http://www.gazzetta.it/Speciali/Giro.../simeoni.shtml

At the end of article director of the tour Zomegnan defends the decision not to invite his team based on performance at Tirreno-Adriatico where Simeoni DNF.

ah, the drama continues...
Old 05-05-09, 03:11

IMO Ceramica should be in and Diquigiovanni should be out after the olympic positive with Rebellin
Old 05-05-09, 03:31

Are the Italian Championships and the Giro both organized by RCS Sports? I can see the benefit of this symbolic gesture if they are, but otherwise it seems pointless. While I am no fan of Simeoni, I do think he has a right to complain about his team's exclusion considering he is a two-time winner of the Giro (and also current national champion of Italy). He may be getting long in the tooth and his current performances don't suggest he'll do too much in the Giro, but how different is that to the Giro's main drawcard this year?
Old 05-05-09, 03:32

He's just throwing all his cards on the table in a desperate bid to get into the Giro. For the Italians that's the ultimate goal and I'm sure he feels he's got some leverage as the National Champion being excluded. It's working too as it's high drama so the media will run with the story. Doubt his team gets in though as the organizer will just look even worse with a last minute change.
Old 05-05-09, 03:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by elapid View Post
While I am no fan of Simeoni, I do think he has a right to complain about his team's exclusion considering he is a two-time winner of the Giro (and also current national champion of Italy).
Nah, that was Gilberto Simoni (who is in the race). This is Filippo Simeoni. Gibo is a climber and Filippo is a one-day rouleur. He's got no chance at the overall; he'd be shooting for a flat stage breakaway win at most.
Old 05-05-09, 03:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeCentric View Post
Nah, that was Gilberto Simoni (who is in the race). This is Filippo Simeoni. Gibo is a climber and Filippo is a one-day rouleur. He's got no chance at the overall; he'd be shooting for a flat stage breakaway win at most.
Woops, my bad! No comment then if he is basing his argument solely on being national champion with no other real credentials for his team's inclusion.
Old 05-05-09, 03:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argon Man View Post
IMO Ceramica should be in and Diquigiovanni should be out after the olympic positive with Rebellin
Bingo. I couldn't be more disgusted with Reb. He was one of my favorites. His Classics treble had been one of my most-played DVD's during the winter hours on the trainer. So disappointing.