Just wait for the protests of Valverde's innocence... - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 03-16-10, 15:16

Default Just wait for the protests of Valverde's innocence...

Title says it all.

Super talented rider but a real shame. I hope he serves his ban graciously and helps kill off the doping culture by admitting what he's done.
Old 03-16-10, 15:22

Thumbs down Voila!

See!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/valv...is-italian-ban
Old 03-16-10, 15:45

It is all a French....er, Italian conspiracy. It is all that tabloid le 'Equipe's....err, la Gazetta trying to sell newspapers.
Old 03-16-10, 15:49
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Radio View Post
It is all a French....er, Italian conspiracy. It is all that tabloid le 'Equipe's....err, la Gazetta trying to sell newspapers.
You are probably right
Old 03-16-10, 16:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by igamogam View Post
Title says it all.

Super talented rider but a real shame. I hope he serves his ban graciously and helps kill off the doping culture by admitting what he's done.
Surely all of his actions up till now just show that he will/ has done exactly the opposite. Just as Basso its all denials and excuses, trying to gain as much money before he is banned and presumably like Basso comes back to be a poor cyclist without his extra fuel. Basso/ Valverde/ Ricco are the worst of the worst, they were part of the new vanguard of more switched on cyclists who were doing it clean but in reality they were just looking for the next non detectable drug. The media often seems to portray Italy and Portugal as the least bastions of druggie culture in cycling but the actions of the Spanish federation seem to show there are more countries need to wise up and address these issues. Just look at the terrible consequences of doping with the most recent example of the 19 year old Polish rider trying to commit suicide after being caught, surely its time to ban all druggies for life and ban the teams and the directors, otherwise cycling will be unfairly tarnished and continue to be viewed as a sport full of dopers. Which I would like to think is no longer the case.
Old 03-16-10, 16:51

If I was Valverde, I'd simply shut the fvck up & complete my sanction quietly before UCI goes for the global ban. He's the lucky one whom has ridden & won races without any punishment since the entire OP blew over--so what more can he ask for?
Old 03-16-10, 17:17

I like Valverde's defense strategy. Throw enough crap at the wall and some of it is going to stick. His lawyers now claim his human rights have been violated. How and when did this happen? He continues to hide behind the Spanish courts because he knows and has known all along it is his blood. My beef is what the hell makes Valverde so damn special. Just about any other rider in his position would at the very least be provisionally suspended at this point. Yet Valverde remains free to challenge at the Tour Down Under, Paris-Nice and probably if his appeal lasts long enough the TDF. I just want this over with, once Valverde takes his punishment maybe we can finally stop dealing with OP.
Old 03-16-10, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by igamogam View Post
Title says it all.

Consider the following line from the CN article, which suggests he did not offer any denial but tried to use the legal system to have the evidence excluded. So there may yet be an admittance, but so far there's no sign of grace.

The Spaniard appealed against the ban, claiming the CONI had no legal right to use the evidence.
Old 03-16-10, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinPhilly View Post
Just about any other rider in his position would at the very least be provisionally suspended at this point.
Not true - how many riders have been suspended from Operation Puerto? Three riders (Basso, Scarponi and Jaschke) and all three were suspended because they confessed to their involvement. No rider (or athlete from another sport) has been found guilty. What about the other 50-odd cyclists who were implicated and thus are all in Valverde's position? None of them have been investigated (by CONI, UCI or anyone else) and provisionally suspended. While I have no doubt regarding Valverde's guilt, this is a targeted witch hunt which ignores the ruling of higher powers (Spanish judiciary) and the involvement of the remaining riders implicated in Operation Puerto who continue to ride professionally.
Old 03-16-10, 17:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinPhilly View Post
I like Valverde's defense strategy. Throw enough crap at the wall and some of it is going to stick. His lawyers now claim his human rights have been violated. How and when did this happen? He continues to hide behind the Spanish courts because he knows and has known all along it is his blood. My beef is what the hell makes Valverde so damn special. Just about any other rider in his position would at the very least be provisionally suspended at this point. Yet Valverde remains free to challenge at the Tour Down Under, Paris-Nice and probably if his appeal lasts long enough the TDF. I just want this over with, once Valverde takes his punishment maybe we can finally stop dealing with OP.
What makes him special is that he's a star who wins races. The UCI has always operated under the "principle" of protect the stars who are the face of the sport while throwing under the bus the small fish who get caught as "the few untalented bad apples of the sport who had to dope to keep up unlike the true champions who don't need drugs." It's crap, but not only does the policy not appear to be changing, it seems to be getting stronger.