Generic "OEM" frames out of china on ebay - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 04-04-10, 17:31

Default Generic "OEM" frames out of china on ebay

Any thoughts on these frames? Here area a couple of examples:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEASTY-Full-Carbo...ht_4754wt_1167

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Full-Carbon-Road-...ht_1778wt_1167

Anyone have any experience of these frames?
Thanks!!
Old 04-04-10, 22:00

Default Good luck

I like my teeth/health too much to take a chance on a no name frame. think about it! You have no chance knowing if the frame is constructed/designed properly or even a rejected frame from a production... The chance is maybe not too large, but it's there and you can not tell.
Old 04-04-10, 22:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedneedle View Post
I like my teeth/health too much to take a chance on a no name frame. think about it! You have no chance knowing if the frame is constructed/designed properly or even a rejected frame from a production... The chance is maybe not too large, but it's there and you can not tell.
probably why he asked about them.

ed rader
Old 04-04-10, 22:57

I agree, you are taking a big risk buying one of these. Why not buy an American made frame instead?

You can get one for about the same cost. Sure it won't be carbon, it will either be CroMoly or Aluminum, but at least you are helping the economy.
Old 04-05-10, 01:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlantParallelogram View Post
I agree, you are taking a big risk buying one of these. Why not buy an American made frame instead?

You can get one for about the same cost. Sure it won't be carbon, it will either be CroMoly or Aluminum, but at least you are helping the economy.
Ever think the OP isn't from the states?
Old 04-05-10, 01:42
Super Moderator

Both of these frames come from factories that manufacture the big brands. Considering the majority of the frames that pros ride are made in Asia as well, you have nothing to worry about. It's just amazing that some paint and/or decals can jack up the price by thousands. That's what you all should be mad about, not the quality. If anything, Asia is the master of carbon, nobody does it better.
Old 04-05-10, 02:13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDV4ROUBAIX View Post
Both of these frames come from factories that manufacture the big brands. Considering the majority of the frames that pros ride are made in Asia as well, you have nothing to worry about. It's just amazing that some paint and/or decals can jack up the price by thousands. That's what you all should be mad about, not the quality. If anything, Asia is the master of carbon, nobody does it better.
+1

I don't know about the OP's eBay frames, but you can buy many extremely cheap no-name frames from Asia that are made in the same factories, right along side the Specialized or Felt or Scott or ... Those companies take a frame that costs $200 to manufacture, slap a paint job and decals on it, and sell it for $3K - $5k. It is a complete rip off. The cost of the final product is such that there is no reason why they could not manufacture frames in the U.S. For the same price you can buy frames made in the U.S. That does not make sense.
Old 04-05-10, 02:42
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
+1

I don't know about the OP's eBay frames, but you can buy many extremely cheap no-name frames from Asia that are made in the same factories, right along side the Specialized or Felt or Scott or ... Those companies take a frame that costs $200 to manufacture, slap a paint job and decals on it, and sell it for $3K - $5k. It is a complete rip off. The cost of the final product is such that there is no reason why they could not manufacture frames in the U.S. For the same price you can buy frames made in the U.S. That does not make sense.
Exactly! Without naming names, thanks to a buddy ( I think you know who I'm talking about BroDeal) I'm basically riding a Scott Addict R1 for a fraction of what it costs retail just because it's a blank. Another Seinfeld quote "retail is for suckers!".... unless it's a MOOTS!

Last edited by RDV4ROUBAIX; 04-05-10 at 02:50. Reason: MOOTS
Old 04-05-10, 04:31

Go to these guys. http://pedalforce.com/online/

Seriously good buys. Most of these frames (if not all) are being made by Merida in Taiwan and are of really good quality.

Do not pay thousands of dollars for a sticker.

If I wasn’t lucky enough for my team to provide bikes I would be on a DA 7800 equipped one of these http://pedalforce.com/online/product...ducts_id=13613

Or if I found a real job...................MOOTS!
Old 04-05-10, 07:19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDV4ROUBAIX View Post
Exactly! Without naming names, thanks to a buddy ( I think you know who I'm talking about BroDeal) I'm basically riding a Scott Addict R1 for a fraction of what it costs retail just because it's a blank. Another Seinfeld quote "retail is for suckers!".... unless it's a MOOTS!
Don't be clowning on my MOOTS.

I think no-name frames might be a good reaction to cycling becoming the new golf. I am sick and tired of costs spiraling out of control because the sport is now catering to a-holes who buy sh!t to impress other a-holes. Maybe it is best to step off the conveyor completely. You could put a sweet custom paint job on a no-name frame and it would still be cheap. One off decals don't cost much.