Thomas Lövkvist - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 04-27-10, 23:03

Default Thomas Lövkvist

Grand Tour Contender?

When are we going to see results out of this guy?

What we anticipate seldom occurs
Old 04-28-10, 01:36

Send a message via MSN to ingsve Send a message via Skype™ to ingsve

Who knows. His ultimate goal is to be a GC contender in the GTs but which rider that can climb decently doesn't have that ambition.

He's 26 now so he's starting to come to the age where he can't really be seen as only a young talent anymore. He needs to continue improving especially his endurance during a three week race with a couple of years for anyone to want to focus on him as a leader. At least he has shown some sort of improvement the last couple of years but I'm guessing that as soon as he stagnates he'll look more and more like a Jens Voigt type domestique.
Old 04-28-10, 10:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingsve View Post
Who knows. His ultimate goal is to be a GC contender in the GTs but which rider that can climb decently doesn't have that ambition.

He's 26 now so he's starting to come to the age where he can't really be seen as only a young talent anymore. He needs to continue improving especially his endurance during a three week race with a couple of years for anyone to want to focus on him as a leader. At least he has shown some sort of improvement the last couple of years but I'm guessing that as soon as he stagnates he'll look more and more like a Jens Voigt type domestique.
I agree...but I really hope not!! (the Voigt comment) I am a fan of Mr. Lovqvist. I am hoping his lack of results so far means simply that he is looking to show later in the season...

For those who are "in the know"...does Lovqvist have a killer instinct? He seems pretty laid back to me??
Old 04-28-10, 11:00

If you have the ambition of winning a GT. Why stay in francaise des jeux?
Old 04-28-10, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credive View Post
Lovqvist rides for Sky...
Old 04-28-10, 11:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDean View Post
Lovqvist rides for Sky...
He used to be
Old 04-28-10, 13:17

I said this 6 years ago. Most overrated talent. The man is way to inconsistent and will never do well in a GT because he recuperates too slow after the first week.
Old 04-28-10, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credive View Post
Well, he didn't stay. He left them when he was still 23 years old. Francaise des jeux is a good environment for very young pros to get their feet wet without too much pressure at that young age so I don't see spending his first years there as any drawback at all.
Old 04-28-10, 15:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDean View Post
For those who are "in the know"...does Lovqvist have a killer instinct? He seems pretty laid back to me??
No, I wouldn't say that he has a killer instinct in the way that for example EBH does. He does try to ride agressively when he's in form which can be seen in his performances in Monte Paschi Eroica and some other places for example but when he's riding for a GC the case is usually that he has to do what he can to hang on rather than being the animator of the race. He's obviously not the strongest type of climber that can accelerate at will. He's a diesel and rides very much like a diesel. It's obvious that if you don't have a huge acceleration then it doesn't make sense to attack because you won't get a gap that way unless it's steep enough so that you can ride people off your wheel rather than sprinting to a gap.
Old 04-28-10, 16:03

BTW, it's Löfkvist!!