Superhuman performance could betray sports drug cheats - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 06-30-10, 17:29
TeamSkyFans

Default Superhuman performance could betray sports drug cheats

New scientist article

more of the same really, but interesting that both the french government and wada are interested in the research.
Old 06-30-10, 17:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSkyFans View Post
New scientist article

more of the same really, but interesting that both the french government and wada are interested in the research.
Thanks for that.

I see it says:

"Pierre Sallet, a physiologist and athletics coach in Lyon, France, has studied this approach for WADA. When analysing one climb in the Tour, Sallet observed a rider who produced an average power in excess of 480 W for more than 30 minutes, a level which he considers "beyond all norms" and reason to investigate further."

I wonder who that was?

Also says,

"Prior to widespread EPO use, Tour winners' average power output was 380 watts on big climbs, with none exceeding 410 W, says Antoine Vayer, a professional cycling coach based in Pordic, France. Riis had an average power output of 445 W on Tour climbs in 1996. From 1994 onwards, Vayer calculated that around six riders per year averaged over 410 W."

Think Horner said in the recent Dauphine that he was maxxing out at about 400 on Alpe d'Huez. Sounds about right.

Jani Brak says he's found 40 watts in the last 2 weeks. Wonder what his levels are.

Last edited by Parrot23; 06-30-10 at 17:54.
Old 06-30-10, 17:55
TeamSkyFans

I wonder how many of these findings have been shared with the french authorities
Old 06-30-10, 17:59

I wonder if these guys are speaking about 1 hour max efforts in the middle of the TDF and in the middle of a TDF stage? Because, it would seem that the hour record holders including pre-EPO-era Merckx were above 410W - and shoudln't they be quoting watt/kg? Seems kinda of unsophisticated to use raw power isntead of relative no? I mean Magnus Backsteadt probably did high 480 W's in the laughing group...
Old 06-30-10, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolnik View Post
I wonder if these guys are speaking about 1 hour max efforts in the middle of the TDF and in the middle of a TDF stage? Because, it would seem that the hour record holders including pre-EPO-era Merckx were above 410W - and shoudln't they be quoting watt/kg? Seems kinda of unsophisticated to use raw power isntead of relative no? I mean Magnus Backsteadt probably did high 480 W's in the laughing group...
Usually when watts are quoted, it's already standardized to a rider of something like 72 kg. So essentially it's W/kg.
Old 06-30-10, 18:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSkyFans View Post
As an exercise physiologist, I find the thinking and logic exhibited in this article so full of holes as to be embarrassing.
Old 06-30-10, 20:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoggan View Post
As an exercise physiologist, I find the thinking and logic exhibited in this article so full of holes as to be embarrassing.
That's funny, because after reading it I was embarrassed for your field as well, and wondering why they didn't use John McCain-style air quotes around "Science".

That said, Ross Tucker generally seems on top of it (despite some fuzzy math/speculations on the Verbier thing, which he did amend with a little more detail), so I have to think that some things really got lost in the translation by the author.
Old 06-30-10, 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolnik View Post
i quote ross from the article he's written himself on the blog

"A sustained (over 40 minutes) power output of greater than 6.2 W/kg at the end of a Tour stage is simply not physiologically believable, and is strongly suggestive of doping. In fact, anything above 6.0 W/kg is very, very suspect."
Old 06-30-10, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot23 View Post
Jani Brak says he's found 40 watts in the last 2 weeks. Wonder what his levels are.
he must be dumb as fcuk. Does he not realise what he says? He told us he was peaking for the dauphine, then he only goes and finds another 40watts, which is a LOT from what i can understand.

that means he's added approx 10 % to his capacity in two weeks. When he was already peaking. That's got to be cutting edge training right there
Old 06-30-10, 21:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
he must be dumb as fcuk. Does he not realise what he says? He told us he was peaking for the dauphine, then he only goes and finds another 40watts, which is a LOT from what i can understand.

that means he's added approx 10 % to his capacity in two weeks. When he was already peaking. That's got to be cutting edge training right there
Maybe his coach is just really good at using certain tools for managing one's form.