The official debate: Should Contador have waited for Schleck? - Page 92 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 07-19-10, 21:18

wow. i see i'm a few pages late in replying to the initial query.

no. he shouldn't have waited.

i mean for #$%-sakes, how many times is everyone going to have to wait for schlecklet? this is a bike race. stuff happens.

after all schlecklet gained a minute plus because his brother fell over splitting the field and holding up most of all the other contenders who were just behind him at the time. when saxo realized this had happened they put cancellera's motor at the front at full (battery-aided ) speed...

i mean, c'mooooooooooooooon.....
Old 07-19-10, 21:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crusher View Post
If you really want to understand cycling fans, you need to understand that today, on the descent, when Vino caught up to Andy, a large number of fans were hoping that Vino would get greedy and tow Andy back up to Alberto. Just so that we could all go online and talk about that too.
Nah, I was hoping Alex would wait until the end and sprint around Andy, placing him further down on today's stage. Maybe Andy will get one of those Rotor chain watchers installed, he missed a shift. In any sport, you drop the ball, miss a block, catch a punch, miss the shift it is your competitor's duty to continue and use it to their advantage.

Andy has been a little bit too cocky and teasing. To me, it shows that he is a little immature and perhaps not ready to assume tour leadership. If he really has it in his legs, he would should show Contador respect and crush him if he can.
Old 07-19-10, 21:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribe View Post
Racing on cobbles is hazard and part of the race. That is exactly why everyone was piling onto the front of the race. The hazards force the selection and become part of the race.
The whole TdF is a hazard, saying the gentlemen rules don´t apply on the cobbles during TdF is ridiculous...

Quote:
Chavanel was not a race favorite and never will be. To continue the race without him does not cheapen the win in Paris.
again you do the same.... the gentleman rule is: DON´T ATTACK MAILLOT JAUNE when he is in trouble... Chavanel was Maillot Jaune so it is again ridiculous to claim he was not worthy of certain protection...

Quote:
The entire race was neutralized by the majority of teams because half the peloton was on the ground with significant injury. This is very rare and called for on that day.
of course and it was very right decision....I agree here with you, but what was Saxo/Andy reaction the very next day?

Quote:
They could have waited at the top when it was clear the real group of racers was not gaining advantage on one another. But they continued to attack a mechanical for advantage. The race was decided here as AC took Schleck's mountain advantage away from him.
SCLECK´S MOUNTAIN ADVANTAGE OVER AC? are you joking here?
I have to repeat again: look how hard Sánchez worked on the descent because now he and Menchov can even overtake AS in GC after ITT... yes, ok Contador/Sánchez/Menchov might have waited... what I say is that Andy should not complain because he had lacked sportsmanship before (you can call today´s incident a justice or whatever...)
Old 07-19-10, 21:20
Editor-in-chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeNL View Post
Cervélo team owner Gerard Vroomen had this to say on Twitter: “Contador just gained a great chance to win, but he lost the chance to win greatly.”

Well said.

yep well said
Old 07-19-10, 21:21

I've watched the incident on replay over and over again.

My gut reaction all morning was AC was wrong.

The truth is - in the moment of the chain incident and AC passing him, there wouldn't be enough time for AC to know what had happened to AS. That said, I think he probably would've had a sense that something bad happened to AS, but he wouldn't have known the details, since it wasn't until AC had passed AS, did AS look down at his chain! So, AC might have sensed something wasn't right with AS, but given the moment, he would've counted on nothing being unusual (and simply his strength allowed him to pass AS).

Everything that occurred later was in bad sportsmanship (accelerating with the other two), but at the moment of passing, I don't believe AC knew what had happened cause AS didn't either.
Old 07-19-10, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publicus View Post
Isn't the most important thing to do when laying down an attack in the mountains to shift properly? If I understand this situation correctly, this was a mistake by Andy. Just like it was a mistake by AC to allow himself to be caught out at the back of the pack.
Shift properly? SRAM is indexed shifting, not friction shifting.... isn't it? How do you improperly shift an indexed shifter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Some people here should really start reading "Il principe" from Machiavelli.

Who cares about "class"? When was the last time a Tour was won with class?

1999-2005? Doped
2006? Doped
2007? Doped by Rasmussen. "Lucky" victory for Conti
2008? Lol
2009? Conti and Lance insulting each other all the time like little kids. Mostly just Lance though.

Yeah, class and Tour de France don't go well together. Who needs doping when you can just break all the unwritten rules in the Tour and gain a lot of seconds by doing so? I'd rather risk breaking these unwritten rules then risk getting caught with doping.
Last time the tour was won with class? 1989 i think. Before that, 1976, but i may be biased there.

nice post O'malley. he's moved on. l have as well. anybody else? there will always be drama when you wear lycra and you're not gettin paid for it.
Thoughtforfood

Quote:
All 3 of the 4 race leaders together with a reasonable cadence waiting for the 4th to latch back on. That's all they had to do and could have done when they were together, and I think the right thing to do.
I don't completely disagree, but I also that to temper my annoyance at a move like that would not have been as easy as many are making it out to be. I am simply saying that taking into account being attacked while at the back, I can imagine me having little to no sympathy for Schlecklet at that point.
Old 07-19-10, 21:23

Talking

watched it live and have watched it again - Andy attacked and was chased down by Vino - Andy slowed but still pedalling (chain dropped) and contador goes around the inside under 2 seconds after chasing vino's wheel - within fourteen seconds Contador is looking back and round (back and round, back and round cough) and slowing....

It's no Zapruder moment but my take is:

1. I've ridden some major climbs in the Alps but not at the speed where I'm "sprinting" past other riders - the "contador knew at the time" brigade really should be honest with themselves and consider if they've really ever been in that position even as amateurs
2. Once Sanchez and Menchov go - Contador really has no choice

Love the fact that some Americans are very much in to telling us Europeans about the protocols and traditions associated with our sporting events - if only you'd been prepared to honour such traditions by returning our tea in 1773 we would be so much more likely to take notice