Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 10-07-10, 16:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieCanuck View Post
I am a retired trial lawyer. I was a Crown Prosecutor in Canada and then a criminal defence lawyer for 35 years. Evidence and it's admissibility was one of my favourite areas of the law. I also loved the tactics involved in defending people and construcing both substantive defences and rights defences under the Canadian Charter of Rights.

Regrettably the level of ignorance about the law in lay people is so profound that I am tired of trying to comment on and correct the misunderstandings, the misinformation and the misconceptions of armchair lawyers.

There are so many people who continuously slag the judicial system when they have no absolutely no idea what they are talking about. I am sorry to come across as a grumpy curmudgeon but this thread is on a path to nowhere.

If you want to understand the law, go to law school.

PS I would also suggest that American lawyers are not the sole repository of knowledge and understanding about all things legal. I have observed cases in the USA, England, Scotland and Italy and I wil boldly state that the Canadian legal system and the quality of it's trial lawyers is as good as it gets.
Since your other posts display a profound lack of objectivity, sweeping ignorance of the issues and topic being discussed, and overall arrogance, I'd suggest taking a step back, hit the reset button and give your entry into this forum another attempt.
Old 10-07-10, 16:42
Banned

You do realize that this thread concerns the US justice system and their evidentiary rules. SO US attorneys in this case are the best source of information

But Canada as the best legal system and the best trial lawyers, I doubt it.
Old 10-13-10, 05:57
Monopoly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrus View Post
You do realize that this thread concerns the US justice system and their evidentiary rules. SO US attorneys in this case are the best source of information

But Canada as the best legal system and the best trial lawyers, I doubt it.
Whoa! What do you have against Canucks? It wasn't us that let OJ run free.
Old 10-13-10, 08:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monopoly View Post
Whoa! What do you have against Canucks? It wasn't us that let OJ run free.
OJ is doing hard time right now. Karla Homolka is walking free today.
Old 10-16-10, 16:38
Monopoly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
OJ is doing hard time right now. Karla Homolka is walking free today.
Sorry ... just trying to introduce a little light humour. I didn't mean to offend. Agreed ... the Homolka situation is a tragedy.
Old 10-21-10, 04:39

Since a cyclists licensing body, and thus antidoping agency from said country have the responsibility to suspend or punish for violation of doping rules, wouldnt they have specific rights to the blood or urine samples as to afford access to the athlete and representation? In my logic, how could a governing body punish without having rights to, or possession of the samples? In this logic, the UCI, the licensing body, and antidoping agency all share rights to the samples and can call upon them for proceedings or other matters. If all this is true, then Novitsky or others within this case would have a much simpler time gaining access to any samples, regardless of location. Also, since these samples are a ward of antidoping agencies, UCI and home governing bodies, does the line not blur in relation to International Law and access to potential evidence, since they are not part of that countries legal system, or within their evidence system?

My background is that I am an ABA certified Paralegal.
Old 10-30-10, 10:13

Sorry without trying to sound completely ignorant, doping isn't illegal in the US, like it is in places like France, but rather the use of PEDs is illegal, but not doping per se? Or is it all illegal, no matter what?

Thanks

RIP Xavier Tondó Volpini - 5 November 1978 – 23 May 2011

RIP John aka theswordsman - 2 July 1957 - 1 August 2011

Wouter, John and Xavi, you all will be missed.
Old 11-10-10, 21:50
Banned

JV is suing me for Libel!

Can he win?

WTF can I do?

Is there a lawyer in the house. I got cash!

I'm joking about JV. I'm a big fan of lawyers. Noble profession. Good stuff.

I am curious about Libel. Has it been answered already?

Last edited by buckwheat; 11-10-10 at 21:52.
Old 11-11-10, 05:46
Banned

unless you know something is not true and that it would have unwanted effects on JV, he cannot do anything. And even if these two things are the case it would be very difficult for JV to prove otherwise. And even if he could he is still a public figure which ensures you have much more leeway. But is short, no, no he can't realle make a case against you

That's the short and easy answer to your question, for a more insigthful look, you should talk with one of the US lawyers, either on here or somewhere else.
Old 11-18-10, 16:36
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrus View Post
unless you know something is not true and that it would have unwanted effects on JV, he cannot do anything. And even if these two things are the case it would be very difficult for JV to prove otherwise. And even if he could he is still a public figure which ensures you have much more leeway. But is short, no, no he can't realle make a case against you

That's the short and easy answer to your question, for a more insigthful look, you should talk with one of the US lawyers, either on here or somewhere else.
Oh, I was almost absolutely sure I couldn't be sued because I believe what I say and intend no malice.

I was waiting for a lawyer to answer definitively, and even in that case, two lawyers will give 3 different opinions.

I take it you're not a U.S. lawyer?