• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Josh Tarling Discussion Thread

EC gold, WC bronze and victory at Chrono des Nations - all at the age of 19. The guy is already a monster. 194 cm and 78 kilos, likely a huuuge TT engine. Remco should be happy that he got a WC TT gold this year as it will become more difficult in the future!
I think it depends on the course and the shape of the day.
Tarling is much more build like a TT than Remco. He is similar to Ganna. So favourite in flat TT but e.g. at a (small) disadvantage length/weight-wise in a more hilly TT or one with e.g. a hill in the end (as in the worlds).

I think it depends on the course and the shape of the day.
Tarling is much more build like a TT than Remco. He is similar to Ganna. So favourite in flat TT but e.g. at a (small) disadvantage length/weight-wise in a more hilly TT or one with e.g. a hill in the end (as in the worlds).

Sure, the more hills the more it favours Remco. On dead flat TTs the guy is looming large already.

EC gold, WC bronze and victory at Chrono des Nations - all at the age of 19. The guy is already a monster. 194 cm and 78 kilos, likely a huuuge TT engine. Remco should be happy that he got a WC TT gold this year as it will become more difficult in the future!
Next year is already a pretty difficult TT that won't be as easy for Tarling as it might be for Evenepoel.

ME_ITT-2048x637.png

The biggest climb is like 3km@5%. Hardly a difficult one.
I thought the climb was the same as the main circuit of the RR, but that's not the case. But I don't get how see it as only 3km climbing? I don't know which hill it actually is, but based on that profile it looks like at least 5km of climbing. Unless you know the actual name of the climb, and this profile is just wrong.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I thought the climb was the same as the main circuit of the RR, but that's not the case. But I don't get how see it as only 3km climbing? I don't know which hill it actually is, but based on that profile it looks like at least 5km of climbing. Unless you know the actual name of the climb, and this profile is just wrong.

Maybe it's 5 km but it gains like 180 m overall (so 3.6% average). I meant the steepest 3 km (which gains 120-130 m so 4-4.5%).

Maybe it's 5 km but it gains like 180 m overall (so 3.6% average). I meant the steepest 3 km (which gains 120-130 m so 4-4.5%).
And that last km at 8% maybe? Just wanted to say that I don't necessarily see Tarling win it easily with that hill being part of the race. Both riders will definitely finish on the podium though, and it'll be nice to have an actual competition for the ITT.

The Olympic Games on the other hand is more suited to Tarling.

Next year is already a pretty difficult TT that won't be as easy for Tarling as it might be for Evenepoel.

ME_ITT-2048x637.png
Imola had about 25% more elevation gain per KM than that fwiw. It's a very easy TT, essentially 35KM of flat TTing with a small hilly section in the middle. It's also a lot more technical than 2023 worlds, and those sections Tarling will utterly destroy Remco.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Imola had about 25% more elevation gain per KM than that fwiw. It's a very easy TT, essentially a 35KM flat TT with a small hilly section in the middle. It's also a lot more technical than 2023 worlds, and those sections Tarling will utterly destroy Remco.
Is there already a map available or how do you know it's going to be technical?

Remco's certainly not the best TT bike handler in technical TT's but if he can properly prepare for it and sets his mind to it, he's definitely no slouch either. I have no idea however how he stacks up against Tarling on a technical level but according to your post Tarling must be pretty good also in that aspect?

Is there already a map available or how do you know it's going to be technical?

Remco's certainly not the best TT bike handler in technical TT's but if he can properly prepare for it and sets his mind to it, he's definitely no slouch either. I have no idea however how he stacks up against Tarling on a technical level but according to your post Tarling must be pretty good also in that aspect?
Tarling's extremely good technically yeah. If you go through all his TTs can see that. F.E. looked far superior to Wout through some of the corners at euros. Remco I would say is only passable at best technically, generally loses a bit of time through all corners.

Kinda off topic, but TT technicality is in general a bit weird tbh. Kung (when he's looking where he is going) is probably the best in the world through corners in TTs. The best since a certain Fabian Cancellara. Certainly wouldn't say that for the rest of his racing.

Also yeah, LFR has a map of the route working it out from the profiles provided and start and finish points. I've since went through most of the route on streetview. It's not a crazy technical course, although it has some very fast and scary looking descent sections tbh lol, just significantly more than 2023 worlds, which had very few corners.

Last edited: