• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Juan Ayuso discussion thread

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That's not how it works. Pogacar came in touch with professionalism at a later age, thereby leaving more room for improvement. He was 20 when he was still riding for Ljubljana, and by the time he got to UAE the Lampre stink was still over that team. Ayuso otoh, was riding high end bikes, training hard and working with a dietician at age 17, and came into a UAE team that had made strides into becoming a splendid team top to bottom.

Progression ain't a linear thing, but having access to the best situation is likely to make one peak/stagnate at an earlier age. It is something I think we'll be seeing a lot of in the near future, in this what I can professional junior era.
No way,that ayuso will peak at 24.i dont know,his genetical makeup,but thats very unlikely.Ayuso is biggest young talent in cycling and his mentality is elite.Even,if he stagnates for some time,evetually he will improve and reach pog/vinge level.His biggest strenght is climbing and tts,so perfect gc rider.UAE has another hinault/lemond situation.

• Haha
Reactions: Bolder
No way,that ayuso will peak at 24.i dont know,his genetical makeup,but thats very unlikely.Ayuso is biggest young talent in cycling and his mentality is elite.Even,if he stagnates for some time,evetually he will improve and reach pog/vinge level.His biggest strenght is climbing and tts,so perfect gc rider.UAE has another hinault/lemond situation.
Juan? Is that you?

He seems to be stagnating a bit though

Reactions: Sandisfan

Some cycling 'influencers' were saying the same thing before the Vuelta last year, i.e. even saying he'd compete for the win.

I think the Angliru stage places a huge question mark over Ayuso's abilities to match the best in a 3 week GT. He was nowhere near Roglič, i.e. a benchmark in & of himself. So it's safe to say peak July Pog & Vinge are another matter (& stratosphere) entirely as well.

lol why the hate for ayuso.nobody is nostradamus,but who cares about one stage.you think that young pog,rogla or vinge could match this level.last year vuelta was hellluva competition.according to this logic,remco is forever doomed or pog could never beta jonas.doesnot work that way.look at pog and the times he bonked.all im saying,on surface he looks crazy talent.i dont have his internal numbers.

The problem with Ayuso is: everyone knows he is young and will improve in the future however he doesn't seem to be a top10 climber in the world.
Who would you put ahead of him when it comes to climbing? Vingegaard, Pogacar, Evenepoel, Roglic, and A. Yates are better

I wouldn't put Bernal, Rodriguez, S. Yates, Skjelmose, Bilbao, Hindley, Thomas, Martinez, Mas, or O'Connor ahead of him.

Who would you put ahead of him when it comes to climbing? Vingegaard, Pogacar, Evenepoel, Roglic, and A. Yates are better

I wouldn't put Bernal, Rodriguez, S. Yates, Skjelmose, Bilbao, Hindley, Thomas, Martinez, Mas, or O'Connor ahead of him.
I think there is a slew of climbers that are too close to make any sensible "ranking" for and it 'll be down to circumstances, preparation, form... The fact that many are still so young, with too few points of reference isn't making it any easier. Who knows how Rodriguez, Del Toro, Uijtdebroeks, Lenny Martinez etc will develop compared to Ayuso. Hell, Hindley, Almeida, even Mas are at an age that would have been regarded as still working to their prime not too long ago.

For me Hindley is also better but you are right, I can't say there are 10 climbers clearly better than him.
However we can't also say that Ayuso is better than Landa, Thomas, Kuss, Rodriguez when it comes to climbing.

For me Hindley is also better but you are right, I can't say there are 10 climbers clearly better than him.
However we can't also say that Ayuso is better than Landa, Thomas, Kuss, Rodriguez when it comes to climbing.
That’s true, it’s like logic said. They are too close together and sometimes one is better than the other because of a number of things.

I find it weird that he has to do the TDF as a domestique for Pogacar though. I would let him lead in the Vuelta. Now we won’t really know where his capabilities lie after a year without serious injuries.

Vingegaard
Pogacar
Roglic
Remco
Hindley
Kuss
Adam yates
Ayuso
Landa
Mas

This would be my list of top 10 climbers in the world.

Kuss, Hindley, S Yates, Carapaz, Thomas all GT winners, better, consistent and more accomplished climbers over 3 weeks until proven otherwise, though I'd take Ayuso over any of them in a 1 weeker. He's 21 and has the potential to surpass all of them dependant on how just trajectory goes. Bernal hard to tell.

And honestly, I think Joao cooks him in the Le Tour, Pogacar fans need to mentally prepare themselves for half the UAE train to rock up and start doing interviews about 'riding for my own ambitions'. That first Mythical Marc Soler attack is going to hit different.
In my opinion Ayuso is a superior rider comparing with Almeida, but Almeida is a loyal guy. Ayuso i'm not that sure. Even so, Pogacar doesn't need the help of Ayuso if Almeida and yates work for him.