• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser Known Road Racing for Women Thread

Page 106 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Eh? She was obviously racing for GC as 3rd place was well on the line. NFB sat in the wheels for like 50km, everyone's gonna be beaten easily after that.

what ultimately is the more important goal, winning a stage, or finishing 3rd on GC ?

the answer to which is a large part of the why Kasia hasnt won a stage for 4 years, racing for another 3rd place to add to the 12 second places and 10 third places since the last victory.

“Winning is the very best feeling. Finally, I could throw my hands in the air myself." so said Niamh post stage at the finish line

and in the end Kasia finished 4th on GC anyway, so that was a lot of wasted effort put in, for not alot of reward ultimately .

she could have won that stage had she ridden it smarter, not given NFB such a free pass, and really would finishing 5th or 6th GC have made that much difference if the stage victory was hers ? If Dygert is in that position do you think she wins the stage or rides for 3rd place GC ?

? Chloe Dygert has 1 road victory in the last 4 years and it was in a small group sprint. Niewiadoma doesn't have the sprint and had no chance of winning if Reusser caught them.

Yep cos comparing the record of a rider who lost the best part of 14 months of those 4 years to serious injury is totally the same thing 🙄

Dygert would have won yesterday's stage because that's what drives her to carry on racing, winning, she attacks and wouldnt have let NFB settle in behind like Kasia did (NFB has even admitted Sd Worx gameplan wasnt winning the stage it was just protect GC), but Kasia settles for positioning, that's why she doesn't win so often.

Also most of the time that Dygert has been racing until her serious injury she was focusing on the track or racing in a US domestic scene where it was about as challenging for her as the Colombian domestic scene is for Supermán right now. Chloe is still learning the ropes against the international péloton.

And as to whether or not she would have won yesterday's stage had she been in Kasia's position, well, quite likely because the parcours was better suited to her. But, the good news is, she wasn't in that position to win so she didn't.

Reactions: awavey
Yep cos comparing the record of a rider who lost the best part of 14 months of those 4 years to serious injury is totally the same thing 🙄

Dygert would have won yesterday's stage because that's what drives her to carry on racing, winning, she attacks and wouldnt have let NFB settle in behind like Kasia did (NFB has even admitted Sd Worx gameplan wasnt winning the stage it was just protect GC), but Kasia settles for positioning, that's why she doesn't win so often.
Dygert still only has one win on the road. At least on the men's side Remco gets a bunch of big real wins along with all of his imaginary wins.

The profiles of the Giro Donne are up on PCS. Only two short uphill finishes and the only Cat. 1 climb (some parts around 20%, if you can trust komoot) on stage 4 is 80 km away from the finish. No long uphill finish this time.

Did a little bit of research of the climbs because they are not up yet. All data based on komoot.

On stage 1, Passo della Colla with average 5,8%, but has ramps between 10 – 17%. (don‘t get folled by average 5,8%).

On stage 4, additionally to Cat.1 climb Passo del Lupo, at 10 km away from finish Sant’Ignazio (Cat 3. climb with ramps over 15%). In Ceres short uphill finish (few hundred meters with 4-8%).

On stage 5, climb Calosso Cat. 3, 14 km away from finish with ramps around 12%. After that short uphill finish with 2,8km and 5,8%.

On stage 6, last 2,6 km with 7,3% (around 0,8 km with 10-15%).

Last oppurtunity to gain some time in the GC is the climb to Tempio Pausania on stage 8. Has few ramps up to 10%. But still 49 km to the finish line.

All other stages I expect no big time differences in the GC.

Despite missing a long uphill finish, some serious climbing.

Emergency meeting today of the Italien cycling committee about Giro Donne.
According to reports an invoice of 730.000€ is needed to help secure television production. Organiser Starlight wants FCI to help cover.

I mean, in worst case do the race without televsion production, but I am afraid on WT level that is not allowed and won't happen.

Fingers crossed that everything will be solved.

Reactions: Wyndbrook
I mean, in worst case do the race without televsion production, but I am afraid on WT level that is not allowed and won't happen.

Fingers crossed that everything will be solved.

TBH, even though it - rightfully - is a requirement for being (W)WT to have live coverage, having a race without coverage is still better than no race at all.

Not sure this quite fits here,but till the TdFF thread kicks off, next year's TdFF race is reported to start in Rotterdam and have 3 of the 8 stages in the Netherlands
This is sometimes used as a general thread for women's cycling. This particular news have been discussed in the general news thread a few weeks ago.

I think pretty much everyone agrees it's a stupid way to start the race. It also makes it quite likely we're going to see Super Planche des Belles Filles yet again. But at least there will be 8 stages, and not just 7.

3 of 8 stages in the Netherlands... jesus wept. Can somebody just suspend the Dutch from bidding on Grand Départs for a few years? 3 out of 21 stages in a Grand Tour is fine as a percentage, but 3 of 8... on top of that, with the Healthy Ageing Tour or whatever it's called now, Ronde van Drenthe Trittico, Gelderland, whatever the BRLT is called now, and some stages of the BeNe Tour, there's already plenty of women's races in the Netherlands. I know that the Dutch are very supportive of it, but please, please, please, if this means a "Grand Tour" consisting 3 stages in the Netherlands and 5 in the northeast part of France of mostly slightly hilly stages culminating in PDBF for the 80582th time in the last 12 years, then the cat protection charities are going to be on my case again.