• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What has happened to the forum????

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
when i compose post using 'quick reply' all looks good............but when i submit spacing goes awry...........it appears

that 'quick reply' lines has more character space than posts..................?

Mark L

ps.............jeez! what's wrong with using c ** k....like a male hen?

Probably worth posting here:

AndyEd said:
Hi all,

My name is Andrew Eadie and I'm charged with audience acquisition and SEO on the IM sport titles. We are going to be bringing some functionality and SEO upgrades to the forum so I wanted to let you guys know and ask you to feed in any ideas and bug bears you have. All upgrades will be made with the following aims in mind:

• moderator workload is reduced and made easier (spam, tools)
    people can see latest and hot threads (sidepanels)
    it's easier to register and interact (streamline UX)
    you are notified when you have received a reply (push notifications)
    less vocal members can interact (polls, quizzes and ratings)
    forum works on mobile
    various otherfixes

We want the best forum functionality to better serve our thriving inclusive community of cycling experts and fans. I know there have been lots of things lots of you have been asking for a while now. The good news is that we are in a place to be able to do many of them now. Please share your thoughts.

Thanks to all of you reading who make this forum possible.

Andy

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
xenforo would be a good upgrade. what you have now is a downgrade from before. you can get something off the shelf that will pretty much have everything you just listed, with only config work required.

don't reinvent the wheel.

Re:

Dear Wiggo said:
xenforo would be a good upgrade. what you have now is a downgrade from before. you can get something off the shelf that will pretty much have everything you just listed, with only config work required.

don't reinvent the wheel.
In terms of functionality it's a downgrade. You can no longer jump to a quoted post, quote a user when using the quick reply or multi quote several posts.

The ability to see a conversation string of 5 quotes is good though. I also like the ability to upload attachments, that was long overdue.

Re:

Jspear said:
I just got this error when trying to click on the "top 5 of the TDF predictions":

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Too many connections [1040]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

If that's what I think it is, a message from the host saying the site has reached it's max number of connections, then it doesn't bode well for the coming weeks.

Re: Re:

BigMac said:
Jspear said:
I just got this error when trying to click on the "top 5 of the TDF predictions":

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

If that's what I think it is, a message from the host saying the site has reached it's max number of connections, then it doesn't bode well for the coming weeks.

:eek:
That just ain't acceptable! Thought this forum set up was an upgrade....

Jspear said:
BigMac said:
Jspear said:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

But wait, I'm no expert and just went by the text. Stakes I'm wrong are high. :p

BigMac said:
Jspear said:
BigMac said:
Jspear said:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

But wait, I'm no expert and just went by the text. Stakes I'm wrong are high. :p
Although, if nobody can get on there will be no wars during the Tour and no need of more mods either. Problem solved.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
If any of the IT folks are still around, would it be possible to move "View New Posts" up above the purple bar, and put it next to the "you're logged in as.." message, so that we can access it from any screen? As it is, you have to go back to the board index every time you want to use the new posts feature. This seems like an unnecessary extra click. Thanks.

Attachments

• cnforum.JPG
    cnforum.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 1,141
Re:

Beech Mtn said:
If any of the IT folks are still around, would it be possible to move "View New Posts" up above the purple bar, and put it next to the "you're logged in as.." message, so that we can access it from any screen? As it is, you have to go back to the board index every time you want to use the new posts feature. This seems like an unnecessary extra click. Thanks.

+1 this request!

Please is it in any way possible to change the avatar system. In the past we had a system that automatically resized the pictures. Now when I resize a pic to max 90 pixels the file size is still too large because the size has to be below 29KiB. All pictures that I resize and compress turn out to be too large (between 30 and 35 KiB). It is really frustrating as I've tried several times to upload a new avatar over the past months and fiddled around with the image for a while to give up 15 minutes later.

I tried an online resizing app and the picture turned out a mess consisting of 3 different blobs of color :confused:

Re:

BigMac said:
Afrank has recently increased the size limit from 9 (was it 9?) to 30KiB. I don't know if that's the maximum and if anything above that will harm the bandwith. In any case, what I do is always convert to .jpg and import and save the file multiple times through paint. If that doesn't work, try an online compressor such as this: http://jpeg-optimizer.com/
Thanks BigMac I will try that out

I think you may be right that it was 9KiB, I remember I had loads of trouble getting even close to the number.