Register

Moderators

Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Moderator: Irondan

29 Dec 2017 18:11

could you point me to your answer then, please? I've read the posting guidelines and the FAQs, and I can see you've answered some stuff above about private messaging but that isn't what I'm asking about.
User avatar macbindle

Re:

29 Dec 2017 18:31

macbindle wrote:could you point me to your answer then, please? I've read the posting guidelines and the FAQs, and I can see you've answered some stuff above about private messaging but that isn't what I'm asking about.

We're not comfortable in giving out any more information than what you've already read. Spammers and other destructive forces read these threads to try and gain information that could be of their benefit. We're not going to post any more information than we already have.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

29 Dec 2017 19:17

Ah I see. Fair enough. I'll just grin and bear it until I'm deemed not a bot or suchlike
User avatar macbindle

Re: Re:

29 Dec 2017 19:59

Irondan wrote:
Armchair cyclist wrote:The rule (http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2194117#p2194117) is about the intent: that is why it is a bad rule. You can post dozens of posts that make perfectly valid points, but your motive for so doing might be increasing the post count, not generating discussion or sharing insights.

You cannot legislate for intention. This was introduced as a hammer specifically to hit telencefalus with, but as phrased has other effects, unless of course the UCI approach to rule application is employed. Specific cases make for bad rules.

If admins want to simply admit that, despite the rule being written as an absolute, they will ignore it, that's fine: that is the sort of clarification I asked for months ago.

We like the rule and will not be changing it.

Go to any other forum on the internet and you'll see similar rules in place. We were just late to the dance with respect to cracking down on "post count" inflators. We also have live moderation that uses forum policy, logic and common sense. A person inflating their post count by 5 posts to be able to use the PM function is different from someone trying to inflate their posts by the 100's or 1000's, which we are able to differentiate and obviously would not consider sanctioning a new member that wants to join a game or chat with their buddy but would, however, enforce a sanction if we believe a new member trying to inflate their post count in order to spam the forum or other nefarious purposes.

As KB has already said, it's best if a new member finds a thread that interests them and posts some comments to get over the 5 post threshold in order to begin using the PM function of the forum.

Fine. So it is a badly written rule that you do not intend applying as written. That's fine, that is what I asked 3 months ago.
User avatar Armchair cyclist

30 Dec 2017 11:13

Reluctantly decided to post here about 2 recent acts of moderation i witnessed. Both in the same rarely attended by the mods thread. One - the real moderation - timely, measured, objective and most importantly effective. And another - untimely, overcooked and (based on the available evidence) biased and vengeful...

B/c it is about the mods, i wont mention the posters involved but will have to mention the mods...btw, i compared the 2 ACTS of moderation. NOT the mods per se.

anyways, a poster X (not myself) frequently posts his views in defense of a particular nation whose athletes are involved in numerous doping cases. One day recently a poster Y after several less offensive jabs, finally cross the line and called the poster X a paid agent, shill etc.

pay attention, very soon after the personal attack by a poster Y a mod appeared right on time and posted a public warning, that the paid troll/agent accusations must stop.

and they did. no one was banned, no posts were deleted ! But it did not end there...

poster Z came to the defense of the warned poster Y and posited a provocative lil question to the mod about trolls. reasonably, the mod did not take the bate. Then the poster Z (btw, he often posits those little Qs) baited the mod AGAIN and even answered his own question: 'should I take it for yes, poster X is trolling? (note the lil baiting Qs again !)

Poster Z did NOT get reprimanded for baiting a mod. he did not get punished for calling another poster a troll (which is strictly against the rules as recently reiterated). did not even have his offensive off-topic deleted !

likely encouraged by the mod he baited restarint and patience, he went into a direct personal attack on to the poster X over the same subject of doping by the said nation.

'...you are smarter than that ? why are you acting stupid ? :D '..how many here would doubt that the lil Q was a poorly disguised insult ? ...this was reported.

and here starts the poor moderation act. unlike the timely warning that stopped the personal attacks on the poster X by poster Y, the reported insult by poster Z on poster X was let stand for several days.

only at that point i decided to remind the poster Z that the INTENT in his lil baiting Qs can be questioned, that throwing stones while living in a glass house is not good etc.

suddenly king boonen appears in the thread which by his own admission he does not attend. oblivious to the tread nuances and pulse, oblivious to the previous moderating actions, without any warnings he deletes a bunch of posts, including the reported offense on poster X and bans only the poster who consistently criticized his actions in the past.

everything here is based on the still available evidence and the one deleted by king boonen.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

Re:

30 Dec 2017 16:46

python wrote:Reluctantly decided to post here about 2 recent acts of moderation i witnessed. Both in the same rarely attended by the mods thread. One - the real moderation - timely, measured, objective and most importantly effective. And another - untimely, overcooked and (based on the available evidence) biased and vengeful...

B/c it is about the mods, i wont mention the posters involved but will have to mention the mods...btw, i compared the 2 ACTS of moderation. NOT the mods per se.

anyways, a poster X (not myself) frequently posts his views in defense of a particular nation whose athletes are involved in numerous doping cases. One day recently a poster Y after several less offensive jabs, finally cross the line and called the poster X a paid agent, shill etc.

pay attention, very soon after the personal attack by a poster Y a mod appeared right on time and posted a public warning, that the paid troll/agent accusations must stop.

and they did. no one was banned, no posts were deleted ! But it did not end there...

poster Z came to the defense of the warned poster Y and posited a provocative lil question to the mod about trolls. reasonably, the mod did not take the bate. Then the poster Z (btw, he often posits those little Qs) baited the mod AGAIN and even answered his own question: 'should I take it for yes, poster X is trolling? (note the lil baiting Qs again !)

Poster Z did NOT get reprimanded for baiting a mod. he did not get punished for calling another poster a troll (which is strictly against the rules as recently reiterated). did not even have his offensive off-topic deleted !

likely encouraged by the mod he baited restarint and patience, he went into a direct personal attack on to the poster X over the same subject of doping by the said nation.

'...you are smarter than that ? why are you acting stupid ? :D '..how many here would doubt that the lil Q was a poorly disguised insult ? ...this was reported.

and here starts the poor moderation act. unlike the timely warning that stopped the personal attacks on the poster X by poster Y, the reported insult by poster Z on poster X was let stand for several days.

only at that point i decided to remind the poster Z that the INTENT in his lil baiting Qs can be questioned, that throwing stones while living in a glass house is not good etc.

suddenly king boonen appears in the thread which by his own admission he does not attend. oblivious to the tread nuances and pulse, oblivious to the previous moderating actions, without any warnings he deletes a bunch of posts, including the reported offense on poster X and bans only the poster who consistently criticized his actions in the past.

everything here is based on the still available evidence and the one deleted by king boonen.

Yeah, so poster 'Z' did not get reprimanded for "baiting a mod" because the mod in question has been away on holiday for the time after the original warning that was posted up until a few days ago. This would be why King Boonen went into a thread that he doesn't normally read and do moderation duties.

You may not agree with the moderation that happened after the fact but I can assure you and anyone else reading this that King Boonen is as fair and impartial as any moderator you'll find anywhere. We're lucky to have him moderate in this forum.
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

30 Dec 2017 21:54

king boonen:
Kokoso was banned for three days for insulting another user

viewtopic.php?p=2215071#p2215071

was this a joke ?

between the time stamp of the publicly announced ban (30 Dec 2017 11:52) and his last post (30 Dec 2017 19:18) , that is, over just 6 hours, the 'banned' poster managed at least 5 posts in the xc skiing threads alone :rolleyes:

i noticed only b/c right now i read only those 2 threads on the entire forum.

has the ban trigger got the mind of its own ?
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

30 Dec 2017 22:08

Kokoso was banned on the 27th for 3 days. I wasn’t the one that banned them, the mod who did forgot to announce it. I did as we use that thread to track suspensions at times.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

Re:

30 Dec 2017 22:23

King Boonen wrote:Kokoso was banned on the 27th for 3 days. I wasn’t the one that banned them, the mod who did forgot to announce it. I did as we use that thread to track suspensions at times.

I'm the mod that forgot to make the announcement. It was an honest mistake and KB's right, we can keep track of bans through the suspension thread so bans must be announced even if it's timestamped after the actual ban takes place.
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

31 Dec 2017 11:46

Irondan wrote:
King Boonen wrote:Kokoso was banned on the 27th for 3 days. I wasn’t the one that banned them, the mod who did forgot to announce it. I did as we use that thread to track suspensions at times.

I'm the mod that forgot to make the announcement. It was an honest mistake and KB's right, we can keep track of bans through the suspension thread so bans must be announced even if it's timestamped after the actual ban takes place.

OK. BUT...
something does not jive with the reality of the board...king boonen siad the dude is banned for 2 weeks afresh. not retrospectively, i guess :confused:
viewtopic.php?p=2215162#p2215162

but remarkebly he just posted in the doping and seems in the same spirit.

either this dude has some magic or he enjoys the new years laxity that we ALL now experience..
User avatar python
Veteran

31 Dec 2017 12:08

python wrote:
Irondan wrote:

OK. BUT...
something does not jive with the reality of the board...king boonen siad the dude is banned for 2 weeks afresh. not retrospectively, i guess :confused:
viewtopic.php?p=2215162#p2215162

but remarkebly he just posted in the doping and seems in the same spirit.

either this dude has some magic or he enjoys the new years laxity that we ALL now experience..

Was just about to come and tell the same. Strange a guy in 2 weeks ban wrote a post 20 minutes ago calling other people stupid again.
bambino

31 Dec 2017 16:01

The ban on Kokoso is for a new infraction.

I'm not sure why Kokoso was still able to post a comment other than the moderator control panel "banning" function is very clunky, especially from a smartphone. It's entirely possible that King Boonen thought he had completed the ban but the forum software did not actually complete the transaction. It happens from time to time to all the mods.

I made sure to fix the Kokoso ban, it's working correctly now.
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

31 Dec 2017 16:26

Yeah, it was from my phone. Very possible it didn’t go through due to patchy signal or something, thanks for letting a know. And yes, it was a new infraction, not the previous one they had already served a bad for.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

Re: Moderators

09 Jan 2018 04:02

Can the Froome talk thread be changed to the “The Disgraced Chris Froome” thread?
User avatar thehog
Veteran

12 Jan 2018 16:27

thehog wrote:Can the Froome talk thread be changed to the “The Disgraced Chris Froome” thread?

Only if we change the name of every riders thread who’s been popped to ‘the disgraced...’ :lol:

In short, no we won’t.
User avatar Pricey_sky

13 Jan 2018 09:12

Pricey_sky wrote:
thehog wrote:Can the Froome talk thread be changed to the “The Disgraced Chris Froome” thread?

Only if we change the name of every riders thread who’s been popped to ‘the disgraced...’ :lol:

In short, no we won’t.

I have no problem with that, I’m sure most others won’t either :D
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

15 Jan 2018 23:03

Bad Dawg...heel! thread
User avatar sittingbison

16 Jan 2018 01:32

R.I.P "Little Richie Porte" thread circa 2012.
Ferminal
Veteran

16 Jan 2018 14:09

OK folks, lets stop that one there. This is the thread to complain about mods after all and if it gets clogged up we might not notice being told how terrible we are.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

16 Jan 2018 15:28

I'm just curious about the difference between red mods and green mods. Seniority? Amount of power? Cake?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to About the forum