Log in:  

Register

Moderators

Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Moderators: Daniel Benson, Susan Westemeyer, Irondan

Re:

16 Jan 2018 16:08

RedheadDane wrote:I'm just curious about the difference between red mods and green mods. Seniority? Amount of power? Cake?

Red Rick and King Boonen have been added to the forum administrators group which allows them to have access to the forum software administrator panel. Having this access allows them to certain tools that help make moderation a little more efficient and they can take care of forum housekeeping. They’re still moderators, as Eshnar, Susan and I am.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,540
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Re:

16 Jan 2018 16:33

Irondan wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:I'm just curious about the difference between red mods and green mods. Seniority? Amount of power? Cake?

Red Rick and King Boonen have been added to the forum administrators group which allows them to have access to the forum software administrator panel. Having this access allows them to certain tools that help make moderation a little more efficient and they can take care of forum housekeeping. They’re still moderators, as Eshnar, Susan and I am.


Can I have the cake instead?
User avatar Susan Westemeyer
Administrator
 
Posts: 8,424
Joined: 05 Mar 2009 14:18
Location: Germany

Re:

16 Jan 2018 16:35

RedheadDane wrote:I'm just curious about the difference between red mods and green mods. Seniority? Amount of power? Cake?

Everyone knows Siths use red lightsabers ;)

As Irondan says, they have now access to the dark side of the force :O
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,999
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

16 Jan 2018 16:39

So... I guess my second guess was the most correct. People who are admins, as well as moderators, have more power than those who are simply moderators.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,407
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

Re: Re:

16 Jan 2018 16:41

Netserk wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:I'm just curious about the difference between red mods and green mods. Seniority? Amount of power? Cake?

Everyone knows Siths use red lightsabers ;)

As Irondan says, they have now access to the dark side of the force :O

Image
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,540
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

Re:

16 Jan 2018 16:43

RedheadDane wrote:So... I guess my second guess was the most correct. People who are admins, as well as moderators, have more power than those who are simply moderators.

They just have more tools.

The power rests in Susan's and my hands.... :p
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,540
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Moderators

17 Jan 2018 13:20

Hello. What were the two bans for? I HONESTLY have no idea.

Thansk for an answer. I hope my conlusion that this is the thread to ask such questions is right.
Kokoso
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,543
Joined: 22 Apr 2012 06:45

Re: Moderators

17 Jan 2018 13:24

Kokoso wrote:Hello. What were the two bans for? I HONESTLY have no idea.

Thansk for an answer. I hope my conlusion that this is the thread to ask such questions is right.

Two personal attacks/ trolling posts. I believe they were also I a thread where I had specifically asked users to calm down and stop this.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,303
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

Re: Moderators

17 Jan 2018 13:41

King Boonen wrote:
Kokoso wrote:Hello. What were the two bans for? I HONESTLY have no idea.

Thansk for an answer. I hope my conlusion that this is the thread to ask such questions is right.

Two personal attacks/ trolling posts. I believe they were also I a thread where I had specifically asked users to calm down and stop this.

So when you ask why is someone acting stupid, is that personal attack, or trolling?
Kokoso
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,543
Joined: 22 Apr 2012 06:45

17 Jan 2018 13:55

a note to king boonen or any other mod: pls note that since his comeback the dude resorted to the same lil Qs (in all of his 4 or 5 posts, mind you) with which he baited irondan earlier or other posters...

one cant avoid the impression that the answers are either obvious or the lil Qs can't be satisfied ;)
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,812
Joined: 25 Sep 2009 01:01

Re: Moderators

17 Jan 2018 14:02

Kokoso wrote:
King Boonen wrote:
Kokoso wrote:Hello. What were the two bans for? I HONESTLY have no idea.

Thansk for an answer. I hope my conlusion that this is the thread to ask such questions is right.

Two personal attacks/ trolling posts. I believe they were also I a thread where I had specifically asked users to calm down and stop this.

So when you ask why is someone acting stupid, is that personal attack, or trolling?

It’s both, along with flaming, baiting and being disrespectful to another forum member.

Perhaps a quick read through the forum rules will help you to not cross the line again, if that’s what you hope to avoid.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,540
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

Re:

17 Jan 2018 14:19

python wrote:a note to king boonen or any other mod: pls note that since his comeback the dude resorted to the same lil Qs (in all of his 4 or 5 posts, mind you) with which he baited irondan earlier or other posters...

one cant avoid the impression that the answers are either obvious or the lil Qs can't be satisfied ;)


I can't actually believe that I need to say this again but here we go:

If you have a problem with a post or posts a user is making then use the report function and report them. Calling out users in any way is generally considered trolling and will be dealt as such by the moderators. If you feel the report function doesn't allow you to explain the issue fully then PM a mod/admin. We take all reports seriously and discuss them as a group.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,303
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

Re: Moderators

17 Jan 2018 14:23

Irondan wrote:
Kokoso wrote:
King Boonen wrote:
Kokoso wrote:Hello. What were the two bans for? I HONESTLY have no idea.

Thansk for an answer. I hope my conlusion that this is the thread to ask such questions is right.

Two personal attacks/ trolling posts. I believe they were also I a thread where I had specifically asked users to calm down and stop this.

So when you ask why is someone acting stupid, is that personal attack, or trolling?

It’s both, along with flaming, baiting and being disrespectful to another forum member.

Perhaps a quick read through the forum rules will help you to not cross the line again, if that’s what you hope to avoid.


To expand a bit. Question the post, not the poster. It's fine to disagree with a post, as long as you back it up, but just accusing a poster of being stupid is always going to result in action, no matter what the circumstances.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,303
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

Re: Moderators

17 Jan 2018 14:31

King Boonen wrote:
Irondan wrote:
Kokoso wrote:
King Boonen wrote:
Kokoso wrote:Hello. What were the two bans for? I HONESTLY have no idea.

Thansk for an answer. I hope my conlusion that this is the thread to ask such questions is right.

Two personal attacks/ trolling posts. I believe they were also I a thread where I had specifically asked users to calm down and stop this.

So when you ask why is someone acting stupid, is that personal attack, or trolling?

It’s both, along with flaming, baiting and being disrespectful to another forum member.

Perhaps a quick read through the forum rules will help you to not cross the line again, if that’s what you hope to avoid.


To expand a bit. Question the post, not the poster. It's fine to disagree with a post, as long as you back it up, but just accusing a poster of being stupid is always going to result in action, no matter what the circumstances.

But I was not accusing poster of being stupid.

Edit: there is a difference between saying someone is stupid and saying someone is acting stupid, isn't it?
Kokoso
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,543
Joined: 22 Apr 2012 06:45

Re: Moderators

17 Jan 2018 15:29

Kokoso wrote:
King Boonen wrote:
Irondan wrote:
Kokoso wrote:
King Boonen wrote:Two personal attacks/ trolling posts. I believe they were also I a thread where I had specifically asked users to calm down and stop this.

So when you ask why is someone acting stupid, is that personal attack, or trolling?

It’s both, along with flaming, baiting and being disrespectful to another forum member.

Perhaps a quick read through the forum rules will help you to not cross the line again, if that’s what you hope to avoid.


To expand a bit. Question the post, not the poster. It's fine to disagree with a post, as long as you back it up, but just accusing a poster of being stupid is always going to result in action, no matter what the circumstances.

But I was not accusing poster of being stupid.

Edit: there is a difference between saying someone is stupid and saying someone is acting stupid, isn't it?
Not really, no. But there's a big difference in saying someone is acting stupid or saying that they're stupid and saying that a post is stupid. By calling a post stupid it still is a poor choice of words but it's not making the comment personal. Anytime you make a derogatory remark and you make it personal you'll run into problems. Am I saying that you should call everyone's post "stupid" when you don't agree with it? Absolutely not, you should always think about a better choice of words to describe a post that you think is stupid.

We're here to discuss each other's comments, not the poster personally. Which is exactly what King Boonen alluded to above in pointing out the "Post, Not Poster" policy.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,540
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Moderators

17 Jan 2018 15:58

Irondan wrote:
Kokoso wrote:
King Boonen wrote:
Irondan wrote:
Kokoso wrote:[quote="[url=http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2218571#p2218571
So when you ask why is someone acting stupid, is that personal attack, or trolling?

It’s both, along with flaming, baiting and being disrespectful to another forum member.

Perhaps a quick read through the forum rules will help you to not cross the line again, if that’s what you hope to avoid.


To expand a bit. Question the post, not the poster. It's fine to disagree with a post, as long as you back it up, but just accusing a poster of being stupid is always going to result in action, no matter what the circumstances.

But I was not accusing poster of being stupid.

Edit: there is a difference between saying someone is stupid and saying someone is acting stupid, isn't it?
Not really, no. But there's a big difference in saying someone is acting stupid or saying that they're stupid and saying that a post is stupid. By calling a post stupid it still is a poor choice of words but it's not making the comment personal. Anytime you make a derogatory remark and you make it personal you'll run into problems. Am I saying that you should call everyone's post "stupid" when you don't agree with it? Absolutely not, you should always think about a better choice of words to describe a post that you think is stupid.

We're here to discuss each other's comments, not the poster personally. Which is exactly what King Boonen alluded to above in pointing out the "Post, Not Poster" policy.

Not really, no. But there's a big difference in saying someone is acting stupid or saying that they're stupid and saying that a post is stupid. By calling a post stupid it still is a poor choice of words but it's not making the comment personal.
I have hard time to agree. To me to call post stupid seems closer to say someone is acting stupid than to say someone is stupid. By saying someone is acting stupid you don't say he is stupid at all, you say he's manipulating things (and probably cleverly, but I admit it is not neccesary part of it). Now I know that to say someone he's manipulating things you would not like either, but what if it's spot on?

We're here to discuss each other's comments, not the poster personally. Which is exactly what King Boonen alluded to above in pointing out the "Post, Not Poster" policy.

To say "someone is acting stupid" in reaction to post is not discussing poster personally, it is discussing his/her way of reaction. Still I agree it is poor choice of words, I agree, but what if it's spot on? Anyway, I disagree on the basis.
Kokoso
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,543
Joined: 22 Apr 2012 06:45

25 Jan 2018 13:35

Why are posters not receiving bans for posting Clinic stuff in the PRR Chris Froome thread? There have been multiple warnings already issued by mods/admins. Posters are choosing to ignore those and post whatever they feel like
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade
Member
 
Posts: 1,657
Joined: 23 Jan 2016 17:30

Re:

25 Jan 2018 13:47

silvergrenade wrote:Why are posters not receiving bans for posting Clinic stuff in the PRR Chris Froome thread? There have been multiple warnings already issued by mods/admins. Posters are choosing to ignore those and post whatever they feel like


Bans are not the only way we deal with these things, just because a user doesn't receive a ban doesn't mean there has been no moderation. In this specific case, generally this course of moderation is because the situation has made it complicated for people to work out what is acceptable and what isn't, especially as a lot of this can come down to moderator opinion. Things that might cross the line are discussing that border on speculation about whether Froome was doping, such as schedule, should Sky pull him from racing and so on. We recognise that it's very difficult to have a discussion about his schedule going forward and avoid this, so we are taking a very light touch to moderating that thread. Obvious doping talk will still be dealt with in the same way it always is, even the posts users think are sneaky, but we'd prefer to air on the side of caution when it isn't obvious.


Of course, users can be of huge help here. Reporting posts that are about doping AND not responding to them helps maintain the thread and makes it easy for us to deal with. Not furthering the conversation when a post borders on clinic stuff and steering it away from this area is also very helpful.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,303
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

25 Jan 2018 15:44

Thanks KB for the response.
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade
Member
 
Posts: 1,657
Joined: 23 Jan 2016 17:30

10 Feb 2018 12:30

Can a mod move the discussion about who'll lead Quickstep in the MSR (from the Dubai thread) into the new Quickstep thread?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,407
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

PreviousNext

Return to About the forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Back to top