17%
If they were cycling related and at bottom of page, they would be ok
55%
If these ads stay in any form, I go
9%

Total votes : 139

01 Feb 2012 14:10

doolols wrote:*sigh* *drums fingers*

don´t wear your fingers out. there are no magic answers coming....
No, I am not a Moderator on CyclingNews - stop bothering me! :D

http://velorooms.com

mastersracer wrote:Ironically, statistical studies confirm (with statistical significance!) that people who make these sorts of claims about statistics have an IQ at least 2 standard deviations below the mean.
User avatar Martin318is

01 Feb 2012 15:15

Martin318is wrote:don´t wear your fingers out. there are no magic answers coming....

Nope. Now just a once interesting forum now clearly on the way down.
Scott SoCal

01 Feb 2012 20:07

this is still a disaster.

sort it out

i find it genuinely staggering that a misstep this big has been and not reversed.

my usage of the forum has shrunk incredibly in the last couple of weeks.
lancaster

02 Feb 2012 01:26

lancaster wrote:my usage of the forum has shrunk incredibly in the last couple of weeks.

You and many others, it seems:

http://boardreader.com/fp/CyclingNews_Forum_11718543/Professional_road_racing_11625029.html

Remember the "Unoccupy the forum" day (Jan 16th)? "Activity" (by whatever means that is measured) dropped to 229 that day in the Professional Road Racing forum.

The past three days' figures have been 245, 239, and 247. And that's without a special movement under way. These figures can be verified by the people that control the webserver, and by anyone who has access to the webserver's statistics.

How long before 'those in the know' realise what's happening, and take steps to stop it before the activity figures drop even further? And I wonder how many of us who are still here have Adblock running, so we don't even see the stupid ads any more?
User avatar doolols

02 Feb 2012 01:38

Tha Cafe stats are also not to be sneezed at by those in authority. The lion's share of Cafe posts are from me in BoB. Once that hits 2m, my contibution will be vastly reduced.

http://boardreader.com/fp/CyclingNews_Forum_11718543/Cafe_General_11626309.html
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

02 Feb 2012 02:57

Scott SoCal wrote:Nope. Now just a once interesting forum now clearly on the way down.

It is a stretch to say the ads have made the forum less interesting. If anything, things became a bit MORE interesting for a bit. Although less visits required to the BoB thread wink wink.

And the forum on the way down because of the ads? Doubt that.

If anything, the fact that it is the off season and even more important - HWMNBN not getting indicted - made the forum go downhill for many waa.

Lot of anger too. To be expected. Comes after denial.

But as the new season begins and more and more people accept the HWMNBN situation, the forum may become more "interesting" to those that have lost their interest. Hang in there guys. Tough it out. GRRRR.
User avatar Polish

02 Feb 2012 05:12

Polish wrote:It is a stretch to say the ads have made the forum less interesting. If anything, things became a bit MORE interesting for a bit. Although less visits required to the BoB thread wink wink.

If anything, the fact that it is the off season and even more important - HWMNBN not getting indicted - made the forum go downhill for many waa.

But as the new season begins and more and more people accept the HWMNBN situation, the forum may become more "interesting" to those that have lost their interest. Hang in there guys. Tough it out. GRRRR.

Yea, I agree.

But the part everyone is missing out on is if any forum really makes it to big hit (click hits) status, they get ads added to get some money out of it. Sure everyone is keen on having a website for their favorite hobby but the moment it really makes it it also becomes a chore to run and no one can keep such a thing alive on one persons donations. They can't resist the google hit counter or word counter fee's in their favor. Why spend any money when the site can go free for the originator? Especially when the majority of the members never fork over a dime or penny to use it.

Then there's some that think their free post is so quality they are providing the substance to keep it alive and its so important that it should pay for their membership, nope!
CyclingNews Forum Member Number 1. (verified)
All my posts are of my own opinion.
October 10, 2012 The Reasoned Decision
User avatar ElChingon
Veteran

02 Feb 2012 06:03

doolols wrote:You and many others, it seems:

http://boardreader.com/fp/CyclingNews_Forum_11718543/Professional_road_racing_11625029.html

Remember the "Unoccupy the forum" day (Jan 16th)? "Activity" (by whatever means that is measured) dropped to 229 that day in the Professional Road Racing forum.

The past three days' figures have been 245, 239, and 247. And that's without a special movement under way. These figures can be verified by the people that control the webserver, and by anyone who has access to the webserver's statistics.

How long before 'those in the know' realise what's happening, and take steps to stop it before the activity figures drop even further? And I wonder how many of us who are still here have Adblock running, so we don't even see the stupid ads any more?

An ad-free cycling forum is a happy cycling forum. :D

2016: Year of the Red Fire Monkey
User avatar Maxiton

02 Feb 2012 07:37

ElChingon wrote:Yea, I agree.

But the part everyone is missing out on is if any forum really makes it to big hit (click hits) status, they get ads added to get some money out of it. Sure everyone is keen on having a website for their favorite hobby but the moment it really makes it it also becomes a chore to run and no one can keep such a thing alive on one persons donations. They can't resist the google hit counter or word counter fee's in their favor. Why spend any money when the site can go free for the originator? Especially when the majority of the members never fork over a dime or penny to use it.

Then there's some that think their free post is so quality they are providing the substance to keep it alive and its so important that it should pay for their membership, nope!

Meanwhile, passionate supporters of other forums give a donation to keep it running because they understand that ads suck.
Forum's most important thread: Ads In Threads

This forum blows because of all the ads, go to Velorooms instead to avoid hearing about plastic surgery, dara torres' arthritis, high-milage cars, 28 really expensive things nobody can afford, millionaire john castle, intel, gartner, the megaupload effect, what your hands say about health, annoying driving habits, 15 dangerous cities for driving... should I go on? No?
EXACTLY!
User avatar bicing

02 Feb 2012 08:48

bicing wrote:Meanwhile, passionate supporters of other forums give a donation to keep it running because they understand that ads suck.

and they are given the choice to do so, rather than the ads simply appearing without warning.
[SIZE="2"]______________
sempre con noi[/SIZE]
User avatar thirteen

02 Feb 2012 08:50

bicing wrote:Meanwhile, passionate supporters of other forums give a donation to keep it running because they understand that ads suck.

Yep. No one minds some ads - most of us understand the need to try and generate some income.

Remember the poll? When the overwhelming majority accepted / voted for ads at the bottom? But here we are, weeks later, and that has been ignored. So, not only do we have the annoying ads where we specifically don't want them, our requests have been ignored. Several weeks ago now, Daniel seemed to be taking notice, but ll that has happened is that some of the ads have changed in nature, and the images have bene removed from the inline ads. And they've added more at the bottom!

Really, when you've got a team of volunteers running your operation, isn't that just slapping them in the face. If I was an admin or mod on here, I'd be seriously thinking whether I wanted to give up my precious, free time to support an organisation that so blatantly doesn't listen and doesn't communicate.
User avatar doolols

02 Feb 2012 19:03

thirteen wrote:and they are given the choice to do so, rather than the ads simply appearing without warning.

Yea, a box that nags you every page like a bum on a corner with a tin cup is a great improvement :D :D :p
User avatar ElChingon
Veteran

02 Feb 2012 19:17

ElChingon wrote:Yea, a box that nags you every page like a bum on a corner with a tin cup is a great improvement :D :D :p

...funny you should say that...so just for fun, and/or to humour me, please listen to the following song...I promise you'll get a good giggle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWYXg3DfE_E

Cheers

blutto
User avatar blutto
Veteran

02 Feb 2012 21:07

ElChingon wrote:Yea, a box that nags you every page like a bum on a corner with a tin cup is a great improvement :D :D :p

Well one page, and there is a button to hide it. ;)
TeamSkyFans

02 Feb 2012 21:40

If they have gone to these types of ads then they must be desperate. Next stop, ads for pr0n sites. I for one am hoping for lots of hot asian chicks.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal
Veteran

02 Feb 2012 23:12

TeamSkyFans wrote:Well one page, and there is a button to hide it. ;)

Just like ad block here. Except not one page. :cool:
User avatar ElChingon
Veteran

02 Feb 2012 23:40

Polish wrote:It is a stretch to say the ads have made the forum less interesting. If anything, things became a bit MORE interesting for a bit. Although less visits required to the BoB thread wink wink.

Pretty much- there might be an influx when the wider public hears more on HWMNBM.
Lance Armstrong - great cyclist or greatest man alive?
User avatar Ulle Relaxes

03 Feb 2012 02:01

Ulle Relaxes wrote:Pretty much- there might be an influx when the wider public hears more on HWMNBM.

Can't wait for the new HWMNBM to fall as well.
User avatar ElChingon
Veteran

03 Feb 2012 02:37

Polish wrote:

Again with this. Only a small section of the forum cares about riders from the ****ing 90's.

The vast majority of the forum talk about real riders in the here and now, so the fact that some rider in some case few people are paying attention to, has gone one way or the other makes little difference and certainatly won't account for such a fall in posts.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

03 Feb 2012 03:01

Who are you? Cornelius Fudge from The Ministry of Magic? HWMNBN is a real threat to the world of magic and cycling.
Lance Armstrong - great cyclist or greatest man alive?
User avatar Ulle Relaxes

PreviousNext

Return to About the forum