If they were after the last post on a page they would be okay
17%
If they were cycling related and at bottom of page, they would be ok
55%
If these ads stay in any form, I go
9%

Total votes : 139

04 Jan 2012 15:13

boomcie wrote:Can't you simply limit the ad blocking to just one site?
cyclingnews.com

That's what I did.

How? I just installed it and didn't read anything about it. I have been doing each page one by one.:o
It was all I could do to submit this comment I don’t know where the inspiration came from…
User avatar krebs303
Veteran

04 Jan 2012 16:10

There are multiple filter lists you can use for Adblock. Having said that, I use Adblock with the standard list, along with Noscript (in Firefox). With this combo, I haven't seen an ad in years.

Noscript is a tad annoying because you have to enable scripts per website to get things to work, but it helps keep your computer from being infected, and helps to keep the ads at bay.

Where I do see ads is on my phone or at work. Just enough to make me appreciate my ad-free home PC. :)
2016: Year of the Red Fire Monkey
User avatar Maxiton

04 Jan 2012 16:20

krebs303 wrote:How? I just installed it and didn't read anything about it. I have been doing each page one by one.:o

I use AdBlock for Chrome, so I'm not familiar with that NoScript add-on. But my guess is that it should be possible.
User avatar boomcie

04 Jan 2012 16:28

krebs303 wrote:How? I just installed it and didn't read anything about it. I have been doing each page one by one.:o

boomcie wrote:I use AdBlock for Chrome, so I'm not familiar with that NoScript add-on. But my guess is that it should be possible.

Why on earth would you want to limit ad blocking to just one site? Is there like only one site where ads are annoying?

Anyway, if you're in firefox, Krebs, click on the down arrow beside where it says Firefox (upper left hand corner). Click ad-ons. Click Adblock Plus. Now, you should be presented with some options to allow some ads. I don't think there's an option to disable Adblock for one site only, but you can activate the adon bar and toggle adblock on and off.
User avatar Maxiton

04 Jan 2012 16:42

Maxiton wrote:Why on earth would you want to limit ad blocking to just one site? Is there like only one site where ads are annoying?

Doesn't really bother me elsewhere, plus I use the same browser for testing online environments and I don't want adblock to interfere with that. So mostly a professional hazard.
User avatar boomcie

04 Jan 2012 16:54

boomcie wrote:Doesn't really bother me elsewhere, plus I use the same browser for testing online environments and I don't want adblock to interfere with that. So mostly a professional hazard.

You know, this is neither here nor there but I read some time ago that some whitehat hacker types had discovered that Chrome installs a persistent tracking beacon on your machine, so that even if you delete the browser the beacon remains. They found that the only way to delete it was to wipe your hard drive and re-install the OS. When asked about this, Eric Schmidt said, yeah, it's a bug, but we're not in any particular hurry to correct it. (Sorry I can't find a source right now, but I read it with my own two eyes.)
User avatar Maxiton

04 Jan 2012 17:01

I may have mis-read your query, Krebs. For Noscript, you can disable it on a per-site basis. Just click on the noscript "S" (should be somewhere on your browser bar), then click "Allow all from cyclingnews.com." This won't enable ads if you're using Adblock plus, but it will enable scripts to run (videos and such).
User avatar Maxiton

04 Jan 2012 17:21

Have to admit that I've been LOL's quite a bit this a.m. while reading these comments...especially from my female peeps! :D

I agree, I am here for cycling and I get tired of having babes etc shoved in my face. Would all you males on here be loving it if you were forcefed some shirtless or pantless boy wonders in the middle of these threads! doubt it

I'm not perusing stuff that is coming up and no one else is using my computer...so not sure if it's really tracking my interests...
swimsuit models
NFL stuff
weightloss
godaddy
blechh
craig walsh always with us
User avatar mewmewmew13
Veteran

04 Jan 2012 17:37

Just installed Adblock Plus. Brilliant. Sorted.;)
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

04 Jan 2012 17:43

The thing that bugs me is the delay between the page starting to load, and being complete - there's a definite delay now, due to the page code getting the ad information, that Adblock can't address.
User avatar doolols

04 Jan 2012 18:19

mewmewmew13 wrote:Have to admit that I've been LOL's quite a bit this a.m. while reading these comments...especially from my female peeps! :D

I agree, I am here for cycling and I get tired of having babes etc shoved in my face. Would all you males on here be loving it if you were forcefed some shirtless or pantless boy wonders in the middle of these threads! doubt it

I'm not perusing stuff that is coming up and no one else is using my computer...so not sure if it's really tracking my interests...
swimsuit models
NFL stuff
weightloss
godaddy
blechh

Don't mean to sound crass but they're reaching for the average demographic reading this site and well it will be scantly clad women till further notice :D
CyclingNews Forum Member Number 1. (verified)
All my posts are of my own opinion.
October 10, 2012 The Reasoned Decision
User avatar ElChingon
Veteran

04 Jan 2012 19:53

Normally, I use Google Chrome with Adblock installed.

I now read the forum on a different computer, using a different browser, without any ad blocking whatsoever, and I got this as a result:

I don't want to go shopping, I don't want custom team shirts, I don't care about the demise of IE6 in America, I don't care about whether crank length matters or not and if I cared I would read the insanely long thread dedicated to it on this forum, that is if I would not be busy making a MOAB mountainbike tour or reading the five articles about things I "might also like".

Thank you for enabling this great feature. User-based marketing is da bomb. To all forum users: join me on my MOAB mountainbike tour, we'll become Ultimate Fighters, win bar fights together with cheap strategies and demolish those evil cars we might encounter with our own hands!

How much is my precious forum worth?
User avatar Sylvester

04 Jan 2012 21:21

ElChingon wrote:Don't mean to sound crass but they're reaching for the average demographic reading this site and well it will be scantly clad women till further notice :D

...so the average IQ of this site's demographic is just marginally higher than that of bread mould...wow...would have never guessed...hope that isn't how it is and the idiot at the controls of the ad machine got it all messed up...because this crap doesn't reflect well on anybody...the site, the posters, the other advertisers...

Cheers

blutto
User avatar blutto
Veteran

04 Jan 2012 21:24

blutto wrote:...so the average IQ of this site's demographic is just marginally higher than that of bread mould...wow...would have never guessed...

Cheers

blutto

I see your point, but you are the one that spelled mold as mould :p you're not helping matters much are you :D
User avatar ElChingon
Veteran

04 Jan 2012 21:42

ElChingon wrote:I see your point, but you are the one that spelled mold as mould :p you're not helping matters much are you :D

...mould is how it is spelled in the English language...mold is how it is spelled in what?, hillbilly ?....so I guess now we know why our group IQ is so low..btw the self-righteous indignation was an especially nice touch, keep up the good work...

Cheers

blutto
User avatar blutto
Veteran

04 Jan 2012 22:01

What do you even have to do on Adblock to block these?
blackcat wrote:you must respect the Cobra, a man who can give himself his own nickname. he trancends hubris.
User avatar luckyboy
Veteran

04 Jan 2012 23:22

blutto wrote:...mould is how it is spelled in the English language...mold is how it is spelled in what?, hillbilly ?....so I guess now we know why our group IQ is so low..btw the self-righteous indignation was especially funny, keep up the good work...

Cheers

blutto

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/american/mould :cool:
"Science flies us to the moon. Religion flies us into buildings."

Gods don't kill people, people with Gods kill people.
User avatar Hugh Januss
Veteran

04 Jan 2012 23:25

With NoScript you just forbid the actual location of what you want to block (i.e. outbrain.com), whilst "allowing" the actual address of the site you are visiting. You will find though that many sites have scripts coming from the outside which are essential for the page to work correctly, you get it right quick enough with trial and error.

And yes, it's the #1 most important add-on for Firefox, for security.
Ferminal
Veteran

04 Jan 2012 23:39

...to paraphrase and update a line dropped on me, when as an undergrad, I had the temerity to quote The Webster's Dictionary... that, sir, is not a dictionary, and in this day and age, its not even a door stop... (...the original was something like ...that Webster's book, is not a dictionary, it is a doorstop...)

...to reiterate...there is English, then there is that other stuff...which now apparently includes internet gobbledygook...

...our IQ issues are even more dire than originally assumed...I guess the sad truth is that we may, as a group, deserve those ads...

Cheers

blutto
User avatar blutto
Veteran

04 Jan 2012 23:41

blutto wrote:...to paraphrase and update a line dropped on me, when as an undergrad, I had the temerity to quote The Webster's Dictionary... that, sir, is not a dictionary, and in this day and age, its not even a door stop... (...the original was something like ...that Webster's book, is not a dictionary, it is a doorstop...)

...to reiterate...there is English, then there is that other stuff...which now apparently includes internet gobbledygook...

...our IQ issues are even more dire than originally assumed...I guess the sad truth is that we may, as a group, deserve those ads...

Cheers

blutto

Ask the queen to fix it then.
User avatar ElChingon
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to About the forum