Register

Member Suspension Appreciation/Depreciation Thread

Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Moderator: Irondan

Re:

13 May 2017 21:41

lenric wrote:I wonder why people create more than one account and use them simultaneously. Life has many more interesting things to do besides being on a forum.

Even if it hasn't, surely you could just spend all your time on a forum using the same account? It's not as if you can write from two accounts at the same time anyway...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re: Re:

13 May 2017 22:01

RedheadDane wrote:
lenric wrote:I wonder why people create more than one account and use them simultaneously. Life has many more interesting things to do besides being on a forum.

Even if it hasn't, surely you could just spend all your time on a forum using the same account? It's not as if you can write from two accounts at the same time anyway...
Not if you've been previously permabanned from other accounts... :D
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

13 May 2017 22:13

Irondan wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:

Aaah... I see. Trying to circumvent punishment for breaking rules by... breaking another rule.
Though... wasn't there a guy once who created a sockpuppet during a ban, and then he claimed that he didn't know you aren't allowed to do that... he just so happened to have tried it out during a ban.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

13 May 2017 22:26

King Boonen wrote:
python wrote:
Irondan wrote:
aphronesis wrote:fanboys die hard.

anyway @ dan, is the other account banned or just moot?

I banned both accounts.

The other one is "mancysboy".
well done dan !

he's also a poster who placed a disgusting sexual innuendo for which blutto got improperly moderated by a new mod (KB?) instead of the new mod going after the disgusting sexually implicit impropriety author (duffy)...

The post you are referring to was deleted. Blutto and Semper both had posts edited to remove the post from quotes. Seems pretty sensible to me.

....if you'd like, I'll remove my reposts....they were put up to raise a bit of a dust storm to drawn some attention to something I suspected was more than a little sideways....they serve no useful purpose now and dumping them would make this place more , uhhhh, family friendly....

....and thanks guys ( KB. ID ) for your efforts....much appreciated...

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

14 May 2017 00:07

RedheadDane wrote:
Irondan wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:

Aaah... I see. Trying to circumvent punishment for breaking rules by... breaking another rule.
Though... wasn't there a guy once who created a sockpuppet during a ban, and then he claimed that he didn't know you aren't allowed to do that... he just so happened to have tried it out during a ban.

Yes, he promised he would never make another sockpuppet again. :lol:
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

14 May 2017 05:54

blutto wrote:
King Boonen wrote:
python wrote:
Irondan wrote:

I banned both accounts.

The other one is "mancysboy".
well done dan !

he's also a poster who placed a disgusting sexual innuendo for which blutto got improperly moderated by a new mod (KB?) instead of the new mod going after the disgusting sexually implicit impropriety author (duffy)...

The post you are referring to was deleted. Blutto and Semper both had posts edited to remove the post from quotes. Seems pretty sensible to me.

....if you'd like, I'll remove my reposts....they were put up to raise a bit of a dust storm to drawn some attention to something I suspected was more than a little sideways....they serve no useful purpose now and dumping them would make this place more , uhhhh, family friendly....

....and thanks guys ( KB. ID ) for your efforts....much appreciated...

Cheers

It's no problem, I think I removed all references to it but if you want to then feel free. I know you guys don't like much interference in that thread so I thought I'd edit rather than remove your posts.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

14 May 2017 05:55

RedheadDane wrote:

You can actually do precisely (as in literally) what I referred and you don't even need more than one computer. Hence the reason why moderating forums is so hard, because sometimes, to find out sockpuppets, you'll have to do a shitload of work, such as looking for behavioral patterns between possible sockpuppets and/or key words. (not sure if this can be here, so feel free to edit)

Naturally, I was referring to using more than one account daily, though I wouldn't be in the least surprised if there are (or were) some people here with 2+ accounts, being the last of them some kind of "fresh start".
User avatar lenric

14 May 2017 06:32

You still can't write from two accounts at the same time. And surely it would be quicker - and not to mention easier - to simply continue writing from the same accounts, than to log out from one in order to log on with the other... Of course, I suppose some people do it in order to start an argument... :rolleyes:

---

Dan, you forgot about 'Bridget', his "wife". :p
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re: Member Suspension Appreciation/Depreciation Thread

14 May 2017 10:59

What if someone forgets their password? As in, you have to enter your password to sign in, but this is the first time you had to do it in a long while because of a sudden shutdown or something else....

Anyway, I think having more than one account, and using more than one account to post here or any other forum on the inter webs is strange. It's almost like those that do this on a regular basis develop some sort of 'split personality.' You post as one person with your oldest account account, and you pretend to be a totally different individual with different writing patterns, etc...
BullsFan22

14 May 2017 14:18

BullsFan22 wrote:What if someone forgets their password? As in, you have to enter your password to sign in, but this is the first time you had to do it in a long while because of a sudden shutdown or something else.....

I actually have two accounts because of this, I can't remember what the other one is but when the forum upgraded I tried to reset my password and it was on an account I'd set up ages ago and never used. I used it to ask for a password reset as I didn't have access to the email for this account anymore. You won't get suspended if you create an account, state it is you and say you are just using it to ask for an admin to reset your password. It is people posting from multiple accounts that is the problem.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

Re:

14 May 2017 15:34

RedheadDane wrote:You still can't write from two accounts at the same time. And surely it would be quicker - and not to mention easier - to simply continue writing from the same accounts, than to log out from one in order to log on with the other... Of course, I suppose some people do it in order to start an argument... :rolleyes:

---

Dude, there's no need to (try to) be a smartass.
Obviously in my first post the meaning of "simultaneously" wasn't "at the sime time". I guess it was obvious, but not for you, apparently.

But like I said in my previous post, you can still use the same computer and post simultaneously without having tp log out. If you're ignorant about how to this that's ok, but that doesn't make it impossible.
User avatar lenric

14 May 2017 15:37

BullsFan22 wrote:What if someone forgets their password? As in, you have to enter your password to sign in, but this is the first time you had to do it in a long while because of a sudden shutdown or something else....

Anyway, I think having more than one account, and using more than one account to post here or any other forum on the inter webs is strange. It's almost like those that do this on a regular basis develop some sort of 'split personality.' You post as one person with your oldest account account, and you pretend to be a totally different individual with different writing patterns, etc...

I usually reset the password to the account that you began with and try to move any posts over to that account if there's not a boatload, if there's hardly any posts on the original account but a lot on the newer account then I'll just simply move the posts to the bigger account and close the older one. It's not a big deal to have a couple accounts for the reason that you and KB are talking about, that happens and it's not a problem. That's all I was asking the Mcduff character in the first place but what happened after that was that he knew if I did any more digging I would find all the other accounts, so he jumped right down my throat and the rest is history.

If he had simply said that "I forgot my password" I would have made him keep his original account and closed the newer one. But, he knew his cover was blown by the guys in the US Politics thread anyway, so it wouldn't have been long before I would have put 2+2 together, and he knew that I think.
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

14 May 2017 15:42

Just to put a cherry on top of this mcduff case and move on.

I had been suspicious of the mcduff account since the day it was created, but I could never link it to another account until I used my super secret squirrel tactics to root out sockpuppet accounts. I constantly checked that account versus other accounts and finally got a hit.

Like Lenric says above, it's a huge amount of work to moderate this forum, that's why we have so many mods.

Cheers :)
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re:

14 May 2017 15:44

RedheadDane wrote:You still can't write from two accounts at the same time. And surely it would be quicker - and not to mention easier - to simply continue writing from the same accounts, than to log out from one in order to log on with the other... Of course, I suppose some people do it in order to start an argument... :rolleyes:

---

bridgid-was the best. She had to stand up for her man. I loved that thread.
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

14 May 2017 15:50

Semper Fidelis wrote:

---

Oh, yeah. Bridget was another dandy! I sure do miss her husband, I wish he didn't force us to permaban him.
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re:

14 May 2017 15:55

Must still be angry that no cyclist can be deemed clean. It will pass.
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

14 May 2017 15:56

Semper Fidelis wrote:

---

What?! I must not have been too observant of the forum when this was taking place!
BullsFan22

15 May 2017 00:06

BullsFan22 wrote:
Semper Fidelis wrote:

---

What?! I must not have been too observant of the forum when this was taking place!

Behold:

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31005
Beech Mtn

15 May 2017 07:52

lenric wrote:

---

Dude, there's no need to (try to) be a smartass.
Obviously in my first post the meaning of "simultaneously" wasn't "at the sime time". I guess it was obvious, but not for you, apparently.

But like I said in my previous post, you can still use the same computer and post simultaneously without having tp log out. If you're ignorant about how to this that's ok, but that doesn't make it impossible.

I did indeed figure out that you didn't mean at exactly the same time. My point is that there is absolutely nothing - within the rules - that can be gained by creating sockpuppets.
Even if there wasn't a clear do not create sockpuppets rule, the way I see it, the only reason you'd create one would be in order to break the rules.
Either by starting a fake argument by having two accounts post videly opposing opinions, hoping that the other posters will pick sides.
Or by circumventing a ban by posting from a diffeernt account during the duration of said ban.

Which reminds me, didn't the amazing saga which culminated in the inclusion of "Bridget" start because of a 24-hour ban? He could literally just have waited...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

15 May 2017 11:36

Beech Mtn wrote:
BullsFan22 wrote:
Semper Fidelis wrote:

---

Behold:

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31005

....oh thank you , thank you for dredging that up.....there is some seriously real comedy gold in there....SF, a question, whatever happened to Maggie, she sounded like such a peach, and was definitely a keeper.....

....and btw several keyboards have been awarded as result of comments in that thread, posthumously of could, 'cause the thread is long dead and buried ( but still hilarious, drink and post, love child , indeed )....

....nice way to start the day....

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to About the forum