Register

Forum Login

Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Moderator: Irondan

Forum Login

13 Sep 2012 08:22

Very soon you'll notice a change to the way you log in and join the forum. Instead of going to the forum to log in, you'll get directed to our main site. In addition, you'll have some new options when you log in or join - you'll be able to use Facebook, Twitter, Google or LinkedIn as well as your normal username and password. We hope this will make it easier for you to log into the site. For people who already have a Cyclingnews account, you'll be given the option to link your account when you first log in using one of the social media sites. As always, please let us know if you have any problems with this new functionality.

It's really hard not to repeat log in!
Managing Editor Cyclingnews.com
User avatar Daniel Benson
Administrator

13 Sep 2012 09:51

what is the purpose of logging into the site instead of the forum?

what is the advantage of being able to login with a social networking site account?
User avatar gregod

13 Sep 2012 10:03

Oh ghod... not another site gone to the dark side.

Its basically tracking you much better now if you use those social media sites to log in. Now not only can track you from your default login but if you use the social media sites login's they can track you via that as well. Sure we'll hear we don't use that its just to make it easier, easier to track you for the ad revenue or who knows what else. Time to setup a separate profile on my browser for CN forum now.
CyclingNews Forum Member Number 1. (verified)
All my posts are of my own opinion.
October 10, 2012 The Reasoned Decision
User avatar ElChingon
Veteran

13 Sep 2012 10:11

ElChingon wrote:Oh ghod... not another site gone to the dark side.

Its basically tracking you much better now if you use those social media sites to log in. Now not only can track you from your default login but if you use the social media sites login's they can track you via that as well. Sure we'll hear we don't use that its just to make it easier, easier to track you for the ad revenue or who knows what else. Time to setup a separate profile on my browser for CN forum now.

that makes sense. it's all about tracking and data. i guess too many people are using ad-block.

it seems CN hasn't learned their lesson from the last time they larded up the forum.
User avatar gregod

13 Sep 2012 11:27

Daniel Benson wrote:We hope this will make it easier for you to log into the site.

So you take us for complete and total idiots, is that it?

Have you been receiving complaints about the "difficulty" of logging in? :rolleyes:

Suggestion:
Spare us the BS
User avatar Granville57

13 Sep 2012 11:44

granville57 wrote:so you take us for complete and total idiots, is that it?

Have you been receiving complaints about the "difficulty" of logging in? :rolleyes:

Suggestion:
Spare us the bs

LOL

*how weird. the forum automatically changes "LOL" written in capitals to "lol"
User avatar gregod

13 Sep 2012 16:04

New login but the other bugs, nagh why fix a bug when you have the opportunity to possibly add more instead!
User avatar ElChingon
Veteran

13 Sep 2012 17:04

To quote my former employer, "It's not necessarily better, but it's progress".
User avatar kielbasa

13 Sep 2012 20:30

Here's a viable solution for at least Firefox users, now they can track my usage on CN and CN only :D

Setting up Multiple Profiles using Firefox

Remember your are a cycling news website not a social media outlet even if some of your stories read as such. Aweee no more likes :(
User avatar ElChingon
Veteran

18 Sep 2012 11:04

O.K. this forvm totally blows! You mean to tell me I can't log in if I have adblock on. Thanks, Dan, you're the man ...

mp4-4a wrote:I didn't know/understand that because for me there is no warning I just can't login but cycle between two pages?! There are other tools than just AdBlock, you know, if you can't stand the ads. But I definitely don't like the fcbk integration and the increase of tracking. Luckily my browser is armed with powerful battery of extensions that keep privacy on a decent level ;)

I'm most likely to go back to lurking only however.

Me too. I just get the whirling dervish in firefox w/ adblock. Had to use safari to log in. Now I have all the ads. My eyes! They burn! What extensions do you have?

I just noticed that the thread about the new login isn't locked. Maybe I should move this up there.
Elagabalus

18 Sep 2012 17:05

Daniel Benson wrote:Very soon you'll notice a change to the way you log in and join the forum. Instead of going to the forum to log in, you'll get directed to our main site. In addition, you'll have some new options when you log in or join - you'll be able to use Facebook, Twitter, Google or LinkedIn as well as your normal username and password. We hope this will make it easier for you to log into the site. For people who already have a Cyclingnews account, you'll be given the option to link your account when you first log in using one of the social media sites. As always, please let us know if you have any problems with this new functionality.

It's really hard not to repeat log in!

Thank you for this improved functionality. It used to take much of the morning to log in, and by the time I was done, often, I needed a nap. But now, logging in is a snap! So much easier! Thanks, CN!
2016: Year of the Red Fire Monkey
User avatar Maxiton

18 Sep 2012 18:00

Why does it not work from Opera? I've just had pretty 'enjoyable' time - click a 'Log In' on the Forum Page and it sends me to the Main Site, then click a 'Log In' on the Main Site and... it brings me back to Forums with its 'Log In' button which would lead me on the Main Site again and so on. After several cycles of 'Log In' - 'Log In' without 'breaking in' I suddenly realised that there is evil Explorer which finally gave me access to my Profile (and to colourful background of ads which - unlike Opera - Explorer tolerates).

I would like this to be fixed.

Thank you.
Kvinto

Location: This account has been quit by its creator since Sept 23, 2012.

18 Sep 2012 23:18

Kvinto wrote:Why does it not work from Opera?

I don't know for Opera, but i had problem with other browser(the issue is Adblock). Apparently the logging in is made from main page and there's a small login window that pop-ups - AdBlock blocks it. Maybe Opera can't draw that window or you have. In such cases as mentioned you just cycle between two pages.

See here for some details.

And don't use IE it's a piece of s***.
mp4-4a

18 Sep 2012 23:52

The new log in system is nothing short of making the loyal cn readers suffer the cn lack of confidence in it's own content..thus the idea, to put it bluntly, is idiotic because it is counterproductive and pointless.

To give my bark some bite, I will no longer post at cn forums unless the issue is very very special. This place is run by some seriously inadequate folks. Not a reference to the hard working mods.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

19 Sep 2012 02:24

What is it? Can't you be logged into the forum and not the website?

I guess I hope I never have to logout then.

Funny they will do crap like this but still not implement programs to make the large majority of forum users (guests) register.
Ferminal
Veteran

19 Sep 2012 07:47

Nightmare for those of us who prefer to pick and choose what scripts and ad content we allow. If you don't allow the [font="Courier New"]futurecdn.net[/font] domain, the login process is an endless loop.
User avatar L'arriviste

19 Sep 2012 08:27

Thanks for all your comments. For obvious reasons I can't recommend solutions to make the login process work with adblock, though on a completely unrelated topic those of you who use script blockers may want to add exceptions for futurecdn.net (as noted above; we use this to serve Javascript, CSS and images on the site and that's all), sl.cyclingnews.com and gigya.com (used to provide social login functionality).

Can I just say to those of you complaining about the supposed tracking this will enable us to do: as far as I'm aware, if you login using a social network your social identity isn't used to track your behaviour on our site. Furthermore, if you choose not to use this method of logging in then there is essentially no difference from before, apart from obviously needing to go to the main site to log in.

We'll look into the Opera bug, and any others raised, as a top priority.
Senior Systems Developer - Cyclingnews.com
josnor

19 Sep 2012 11:20

mp4-4a wrote:I don't know for Opera, but i had problem with other browser(the issue is Adblock). Apparently the logging in is made from main page and there's a small login window that pop-ups - AdBlock blocks it. Maybe Opera can't draw that window or you have. In such cases as mentioned you just cycle between two pages.

See here for some details.

And don't use IE it's a piece of s***.

It's more than just AdBlock. I've disabled it but nothing has changed. Btw, even now, logging from IE, I've made it after the 3rd 'Site - Forum' loop.
Kvinto

Location: This account has been quit by its creator since Sept 23, 2012.

19 Sep 2012 12:35

Kvinto wrote:It's more than just AdBlock. I've disabled it but nothing has changed. Btw, even now, logging from IE, I've made it after the 3rd 'Site - Forum' loop.

I don't have Opera so i don't know the possible issues with that browser but i've tried out Google Chrome and Firefox and they both work without problems if you just turn off the AdBlock before logging in (and then you can switch it back on if you like, it will work if they don't change the code yet again).
If you can't make Chrome or Firefox work then it must be an issue with another extension(look on the net how to disable/stop it). Opera might have an issue with the web login code itself (some stuff are not standardized between different browsers)
mp4-4a

19 Sep 2012 12:37

We've identified a problem with Opera and we'll have a fix out for it ASAP. If anyone else has any problems, please could you provide details of what you did to produce the bug and what happened as well as a screenshot if relevant.
Senior Systems Developer - Cyclingnews.com
josnor

Next

Return to About the forum